walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More, Stob Binnein & the Gone Girl....

Ben More, Stob Binnein & the Gone Girl....

Postby 2manyYorkies » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 15/11/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 1350m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A pitiful 11 weeks after my last trip up north I finally got away for a couple of nights in Crianlarich last weekend, and the weather Gods - they smiled.
Ben More was the plan. From the B&B car park things looked promising. It had been suggested that going round the route the opposite way might be advantageous, and I did think about it, but as its the descending that gets my knees the most I decided to stick to the "official" way round, and I think that was probably best for me.
I parked in the lay-by a few hundred yards past Benmore and was over the stile just after 8:30, and on with the ascent. Yes, the route is steep and relentless, but it's easy to get into a steady rhythm, pausing regularly to enjoy the views behind and to the side.
Towards Crianlarich:
Towards Cruach Ardrain:
The path up:
Sadly the top was still in the mist for the large part, but was atmospheric with the occasional glimpses of neighbouring hills

On the descent to the beach it became obvious the Stob Binnein was going to be hiding it's pleasures in the mist as well....
...but as a bit of a treat I was presented with three ptarmigans near the summit, pecking away at the hill with complete indifference to my presence (up to a point....)
The climb up Stob Binnein is very straightforward, just goes on a bit....
As I left the summit I was briefly joined by a speedy young lady on the way up. A few cheery words later we went on our respective ways, but as I'd predicted she whizzed past me further down the descent (with a few more smiles and cheery words) and sped off into the distance, Gone Girl indeed. By the time I got to the Bealach again she was but a distant speck tripping lightly over the bog... that's her, the tiny black dot, centre picture, just above the two light rocks a quarter of the way up from the bottom of the picture ... honest. Oh, to have knees 30 years younger ....
There is a reasonable semblance of a path off the bealach, by the burn near the northern end, and after the descent to the bottom of the glen the walk out was very straightforward in the early afternoon light. True to form, the summits came out of the cloud as well, once they were sure I was well and truly down....
Ben More:
Towards Ben Lui (I think..), with Benmore farm in the foreground:
Ben More and Stob Binnein in the late afternoon light from the B&B (Ewich):
Last edited by 2manyYorkies on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Ben More, Stob Binnein & the Gone Girl....

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Good report. Its a shame you didn't get the views. I didn't get any views on those 2 either, but at least you had a dry day :wink: Despite your lack of views, your pics are great. I really like the summit 'view' of DSC01148.jpg, very atmospheric with the rock in the foreground, the clouds behind and hints of the hills within.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:10 am

grand pics :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:23 am

Incredible light you had => great pix.

I had quite a bit of cloud/clag when I did these earlier in the year - my pic of the bealach between Ben More and Binnean is almost identical to yours.

Gone girl might have been aiming to do all 7 munros - it's a great ridge walk!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:15 pm

some great photos despite the cloud and very atmospheric indeed - the weather gods were kind as you say - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Great pictures.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland