walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane - the wee nutter...

Ben Vane - the wee nutter...

Postby 2manyYorkies » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 16/11/2014

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 930m

39 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Ben More and Stob Binnnein the previous day, I opted for what I thought foolishly would be an easier hill for the Sunday, something I could knock off on the way home.... what a stupid g*t am I.
As I've mentioned chatting elsewhere, it may be the smallest (?) Munro, but if Munros were people, Ben Vane would be the 5'2" wee nutter at the end of the bar who'd glass you as soon as look at you. Size isn't everything.....
The day was glorious November at it's mildest best, Loch Lomond and it's Ben very tranquil...
The walk in takes a little longer than I thought, but the objective for the day presents itself soon enough...
and there's much of "interest" along the way... sentinels of clean energy or an eyesore?
Just before the Coiregrogan Farm I was very lucky indeed... I saw an Eagle - a juvenile Golden I believe - take off from a tree by the path a couple of hundred yards ahead. There was no mistaking it, it was HUGE, about 6-7 foot wingspan, and lumbered slowly up into the air like a wheezy old Jumbo jet. White markings under the wing, and a lighter colour led me to think it was a juvenile Golden Eagle, can't think what else it could have been, bloody massive. No photo sorry, but plenty of good views to make up for that.
The path leaves the track after about 3km and heads off across bog and grass onto the south-east shoulder, very messy at first, but as height is gained rapidly the path dries out and becomes a comforting loose eroded stones and mud affair.

Looking back down the initial shoulder:

My presence on the hill caused a modicum of interest amongst the locals (Ben Vorlich in the background):

As I rose higher the views behind were ever better,

Loch Lomond....
Loch Sloy....
Lochs Arklet and Katrine...

The ascent steepens as the path starts to wind in between rocks and crags. The path is getting quite eroded, and much loose rock and mud abounds, and is easily dislodged.
There is a pretty full-on false summit, with some good scrambling opportunities, before the true summit is finally reached, with it's lochan and epic views...

Ben Narnain and Cobbler ...

Ben Ime ...

THE Ben .... (how many miles away?) ....

Ben Lomond ... again ...

It was hard to tear myself away from the summit, but time was pressing on, and a drive to Yorkshire awaited. The initial down-scrambling is a little tricky, but there are several options available. The bottom slide technique came into play on occasion. Back on the track to Inveruglas the pain in my thighs from over 7000 feet of steep ascent in 2 days (and lack of fitness!) eased a little, and the afternoon sunshine on autumn trees was truly wonderful...

So came to an end my 7th trip up North in the last 12 months, a mere 32 years after last being on a Munro. In the last 12 months I've managed 20, and nearly a 21st, (being beaten off Beinn Chabhair in March by wind, rain, snow, hunger and lack of form.... but had a laugh with londonwalker). The highlights of the year include wild camps in Fisherfield and the Black Mount, THAT view from A'Mhaigdean, and witnessing a proposal on Ben Vorlich ... but for a grand finale to 2014, I can't help feeling that Wee Shuggie Ben Vane, perfect autumn weather, with that Eagle and those views will be the perfect memory to end the year.
So, from someone who's rediscovered his ancestral DNA, and the call of the wild, thank you weather Gods, thank you all you WH geeks for support and encouragement (even when you're unaware you've given any!), and thank you Scotland. See you next year... :D :D :D

Last edited by 2manyYorkies on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Ben Vane - the wee nutter...

Postby Malckyb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Great pics, its a steep wee climb is Ben Vane..looks like you had fab conditions...took us two attempts to crack it after being driven back by bad weather on the first attempt.
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby JimboJim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 am

Geat photo's, thanks!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:43 am

Great say you got, photos are superb :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Beautiful photos - and a cracking hill - full of character :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Fabulous photos :clap: :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Got to be the best photos I've seen from this hill :clap:

Superb :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:120   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 am

Many thanks for the compliments, it was the best day for photography!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:08 am

Beautiful photos - that's a good lens you've got!

I still get ribbed for telling my pal we'd be doing an easy one - and then taking her up Ben Vane. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby londonwalker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:56 am

Hi TMY 'tis me again. Have to agree with other comments, those photos are superb, with the air clarity that good it must have been as hard tearing yourself off the summit as it was getting to Beinn Chabhair peak back in April. I can only envy you living so close that you can nip up for a couple of hills now and then

Hope to see you in in June next year all being well.
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Brilliant pix :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby bigjimmy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:47 pm

great photos and a beautifully written report, really enjoyed that , thanks
bigjimmy
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Postby dmuir01 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Great pics, this is my mission for tomorrow, weathers not looking too good but I'll give it a go :?
dmuir01
Mountain Walker

Munros:15   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Superb photos - great seeing it through your eyes.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:07 pm

londonwalker wrote:I can only envy you living so close that you can nip up for a couple of hills now and then

Hi Andy, it's still a 540 mile round trip "nip up" to this area for me, but on days like that every yard is worth it..! Keep in touch, and don't pass up a bottle of GlenFarclas 105 if you get the chance.. :wink:

dogplodder wrote:Beautiful photos - that's a good lens you've got!

Thanks. Most of those were taken with a new camera, a Sony RX100 III compact, and am so pleased with the quality (if not the price....ulp!)
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

39 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland