walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You Raise Me Up

You Raise Me Up

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:10 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Raise, White Side

Hewitts included on this walk: Raise, White Side

Date walked: 12/10/2014

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 850m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Given the current, not so great, weather this walk seems ages ago. It was a really warm October day and not the best time to start to wear in my new three season Alt-Berg Tetheras. I wore them regardless and, although they were not bad at all for the first time on for quite a stiff boot, my feet were boiling!
Anyway, these two fells needed clearing up to leave a couple of bigger walks to finish off the Northern half of the of the Eastern fells also given the fairly easy nature of the walk it suited our limited time for the day.
It's always good when you get a nice day to walk from Glenridding as it means the parking fees are easier to stomach, although the new system of cameras to charge you exactly by the hour rather than the £7.50 all day, is a big improvement.
We headed up towards lonely Kepple Cove with its ruined Dam before making our way up the zig -zags. The views of Catstycam are excellent with the North West ridge looking like a tempting future expedition. :think:
Following a bit of a slog on an unseasonably warm day we reached the summit of Whiteside to be greeted by some wonderful views for our lunch break.

ImageBirkhouse Moor by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCatstycam by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe ruined Dam by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageMoody light over Catstycam and Hellvelyn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageRaise by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw from Whiteside by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageRaise from Whiteside by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageViews from Whiteside by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThirlmere by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBrowncove Crags by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace on Whiteside by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The walk to Raise from here must be one of the simplest routes between fells in the district as you amble towards the pleasingly rocky top. We lingered a short while as it was too nice not to before making our way towards the Sticks pass. The route down from here is nice and easy but takes you through some of the most bleak post industrial landscape to found in these parts. A desolate flood plain of quarry spoil and other detritus that is as far removed from the chocolate box image as you can get.

ImageLooking back towards Hellvelyn Lower Man by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace on Raise by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageUllswater by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageDescending via the Sticks Pass by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A nice treat is in store when you get to Stang End as you get a lovely view of the South end of Ulswater and Glenridding before a zig-zag downwards back to Glenridding. Both these tops are pleasant places on a day like this but I personally would, if time allowed, include Helvellyn in this route.

ImageGlenridding by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: You Raise Me Up

Postby StevenF » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Your walk reports make me think that maybe next year I should visit Lake District instead of Snowdonia :) Apparently the driving to the lake district would only be 20 minutes longer (just checked)
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby simon-b » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:31 pm

There are plenty of interesting routes on the east side of the Helvellyn range, and then there's the reward of the view west when you reach the watershed, if the weather's clear.

Wouldn't it be possible to avoid the Glenridding charges by parking on the minor road on the way to the Traveller's Rest?

Great photos again, Anthony.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 am

StevenF wrote:Your walk reports make me think that maybe next year I should visit Lake District instead of Snowdonia :) Apparently the driving to the lake district would only be 20 minutes longer (just checked)

It's a grand place and as long as you stay away from the honeypot fells far quieter than you would imagine.

simon-b wrote:There are plenty of interesting routes on the east side of the Helvellyn range, and then there's the reward of the view west when you reach the watershed, if the weather's clear.

Wouldn't it be possible to avoid the Glenridding charges by parking on the minor road on the way to the Traveller's Rest?

Great photos again, Anthony.

Clough head apart, the East side of the ridge is by far the better as I'm sure you'll agree. As for the free parking at Glenridding, if you can find a way of getting a 12 year old out of bed early I'd love to take advantage of it :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 am

Nice hills, and nice pictures. It was obviously a good clear day, as you've got the Pennine ridge looking like part of the landscape instead of a frieze against the sky :)

If you're planning on doing Fisher's Wife's Rake you should learn and benefit from my terrifying experiences on it - except I've left the tablet with the half written report on it in Newcastle, so it'll have to wait until I can reclaim it again!

I like Grace's embarrassed teenager pose in her first pic ;)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:11 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Nice hills, and nice pictures. It was obviously a good clear day, as you've got the Pennine ridge looking like part of the landscape instead of a frieze against the sky :)

If you're planning on doing Fisher's Wife's Rake you should learn and benefit from my terrifying experiences on it - except I've left the tablet with the half written report on it in Newcastle, so it'll have to wait until I can reclaim it again!

I like Grace's embarrassed teenager pose in her first pic ;)

I was intending on including Clough Head in a long route taking in the Dodds from Dockray or there abouts but I have wondered about Fisher Wife's Rake. I look forward to you report.
The days of Grace looking proud of getting to the top of a hill are long gone I'm afraid :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Dockray makes sense if you're trying to fit Hart Side into a loop - but I think the rake would be fun if you find the right bit of it. I just need to remember that rakes go diagonally :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Postby simon-b » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:39 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
nigheandonn wrote:I was intending on including Clough Head in a long route taking in the Dodds from Dockray or there abouts but I have wondered about Fisher Wife's Rake.

nigheandonn wrote:Dockray makes sense if you're trying to fit Hart Side into a loop - but I think the rake would be fun if you find the right bit of it. I just need to remember that rakes go diagonally

Funnily enough, on my 1st round of Wainwrights I did Clough Head in a long route taking in the Dodds and Hart Side from Dockray, and on my 2nd climbed it via Fisher's Wife's Rake. Both walks were memorable, so I could recommend either. Rakes do go diagonally, but Fisher's Wife's is steep, and the angle from the fall line is less than on some rakes. It's more of a very steep walk, or sometimes a crawl, mainly on vegetation, rather than a rocky or technical scramble, as I remember.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:50 am

Mine was a best of both worlds - Keswick to Glenridding (or Helvellyn hostel, anyway).

Best picture I can find is the 6th one on this page - http://www.wainwrightroutes.co.uk/cloughhead_r1.htm
As far as I can tell, the path slants up almost from bottom left to top right, just under the crags - but I missed the start completely and went straight up the grass strip above the scree on the right, eventually clambering out on the rough bit in the very top right corner once the grass had run out and funnelled me onto some very loose stony stuff.

Still a good day overall, and it included a detour to Raise which was one of the best bits of it.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Cracking photos as always, your photos always have a crisp clarity to them. I think the more I go to the Lakes the more I keep wanting to go back! Lovely to see an area I am not too familiar with.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Cracking photos as always, your photos always have a crisp clarity to them. I think the more I go to the Lakes the more I keep wanting to go back! Lovely to see an area I am not too familiar with.

Thanks Sarah. I must admit that I excepted to get a bit sick of the Lakes during our round of the Wainwrights. The reality of it is that every visit just makes me more smitten with place.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland