walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Upper Largo - please"

"Upper Largo - please"

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Largo Law

Date walked: 25/11/2014

Time taken: 1.1 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 220m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Confession time, then the title will be become clear :wink:
When I was walking in Glen Etive with Russell (RTC) in August this year he happened to mention that he has a bus pass (even though like me he didn't look old enough :wink: ), Russell explained that one is entitled to apply for a bus pass when you reach the big SIX O, I always thought it was 65. So that week I got my backside down to the Civic Centre in Inverkeithing & had my photo taken, signed a form and about a week later the postie delivered my bus pass. This entitles one to travel anywhere in Scotland at anytime on a bus at the taxpayers expense :lol: :lol:
Now I haven't been on a bus for over 40 years & have always mocked them :( Naturally I received plenty of stick from Mrs F and I was waiting for the day to try out my new acquisition and today was selected as the right day 8)
The forecast was fine, good visibility and less than 10% chance of rain so the next phase was planning.
I had handpicked Largo Law as I wanted somewhere handy that I could hopefully be back home by lunchtime :wink:
The next part of the plan was to find out about buses as they are a completely alien form of transport to me :lol:
This website is really good for planning any journey using public transport:
http://www.travelinescotland.com/welcome.do
The bus I earmarked was the X58 which stops in Inverkeithing & goes direct to Upper Largo via all places east. A 2 minute walk took me to the bus stop and the bus was on time at 7.55am :o
For anyone else who hasn't been on a bus recently, I have to say I was rather impressed, leather seats, seat belts, free wi-fi and plenty of leg room :shock:
After a pleasant journey I duly arrived in Upper Largo at 9.06am, I knew I had under 2 hours to get up & down the hill to make my return bus :lol:
I had printed a map off WH, mainly because I don't have an OS map of the East Neuk of Fife because there are no real hills :lol:
With printed map in hand I set off along the road towards the primary school and just before reaching the cemetery you turn right where you are met with signs :wink:

DSCF7361.JPG
If you see this sign you are heading the correct way

DSCF7360.JPG
Notice board info

DSCF7359.JPG
Looking back to the primary school

DSCF7358.JPG
Makes navigating easy

The path to Chesterstone Farm like most paths/tracks at this time of year was rather muddy, once you reach the farm you turn left and go round the large barn, then turn left again and Largo Law is then directly ahead.

DSCF7354.JPG
The way ahead

DSCF7351.JPG
A small obstacle, wasn't tempted to touch it

DSCF7349.JPG
Looking down to the farm

DSCF7347.JPG
A side on shot of the hill to show how steep it is, but not for too long

The climb uphill is steep but as with most Marilyn's doesn't last for very long, unfortunately when I reached the summit a light shower of drizzly rain appeared and the visibility wasn't great, shame really because the views could & should be spectacular :(
Reached the summit in 35 mins which was well ahead of schedule, so took a few photo's in all directions.

DSCF7336.JPG
Summit trig

DSCF7333.JPG
Looking across to Elie & Shell Bay

DSCF7330.JPG
Zoom to East Lomond

DSCF7316.JPG
Lundin Links, Leven & Methil

Descent was easy and I ended up at the bus stop outside the Post Office in Upper Largo with 40 mins to spare and for those who doubt that I travelled by bus - I even took a photo of the bus shelter :lol:

DSCF7363.JPG
Upper Largo's main bus terminal

A big thanks again to Russell :clap: :clap:
Hopefully will get a few more outings in before the end of the year, next :wink:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: "Upper Largo - please"

Postby chickadee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Haha, good report, I felt it was as much a bus report as a walk report, not a bad thing :lol:

Good to know about another local hill, might be one for me to try as I work on my recovery!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby PeteR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm

If you're on the buses now is this the end of the Fife Flyer Martin :lol:

Have you checked the bus times to Durness too? Might take a while :lol:

Couldn't resist, sorry.

Good to do these little hills though :D This one looks worth a look.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Nice one there Martin, this one has been marked down for a winter visit, maybe this year. Great when you can bus to the hills :lol: I wonder how many buses I would need for this one :lol: I remember doing the Largo Law hill race many many years ago, starting at Zlower Largo, must say I cannot remember much about it, too much sweat running into the eyes :lol: Some useful directional signs at the start as well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby tina bonar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Nice report Martin,good to see you are taking things easy at your age
Might have to start calling you Olive from On the Buses! :wink:
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:13 am

This is what I call "a quickie in the neighbourhood" or should I say "a quickie on the bus"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We climbed a Sub last weekend, too. They can be entertaining walks... for different reasons. The one we did had a pathless section with high heather all over, I felt like a stork in a pond :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby robertphillips » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:57 pm

great wee hill this 1
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:33 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:I don't have an OS map of the East Neuk of Fife because there are no real hills :lol:

I'll have you know I lived opposite this unreal hill for 3 years in the late 1970's - it was big enough to fill the view from our wee cottage window :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane - from someone else who is not adverse to using her bus pass to go walking :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 pm

chickadee wrote:Haha, good report, I felt it was as much a bus report as a walk report, not a bad thing :lol:
Good to know about another local hill, might be one for me to try as I work on my recovery!

Apart from the wee steep bit, it is a scoosh :wink:

PeteR wrote:If you're on the buses now is this the end of the Fife Flyer Martin :lol:
Have you checked the bus times to Durness too? Might take a while :lol: Couldn't resist, sorry.
Good to do these little hills though :D This one looks worth a look.

No the blue machine will be seen flying along somewhere soon, apparently buses don't go to Durness, would probably take about a week, anyway :lol:
Easy hill for you Pete :wink:

The Rodmiester wrote:Nice one there Martin, this one has been marked down for a winter visit, maybe this year. Great when you can bus to the hills :lol: I wonder how many buses I would need for this one :lol: I remember doing the Largo Law hill race many many years ago, starting at Lower Largo, must say I cannot remember much about it, too much sweat running into the eyes :lol: Some useful directional signs at the start as well.

Would take you about 20mins up and down Rod :lol: :lol:

tina bonar wrote:Nice report Martin,good to see you are taking things easy at your age
Might have to start calling you Olive from On the Buses! :wink:

Aye very good Barrie :lol: :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:This is what I call "a quickie in the neighbourhood" or should I say "a quickie on the bus"? :lol: :lol: :lol: We climbed a Sub last weekend, too. They can be entertaining walks... for different reasons. The one we did had a pathless section with high heather all over, I felt like a stork in a pond :lol:

Beats going to the gym, Sub's are excellent for keeping the legs moving & training :wink:

robertphillips wrote:great wee hill this 1

Certainly not much effort required for great views :wink:

Huff_n_Puff wrote:
Fife Flyer wrote:I don't have an OS map of the East Neuk of Fife because there are no real hills :lol:

I'll have you know I lived opposite this unreal hill for 3 years in the late 1970's - it was big enough to fill the view from our wee cottage window :lol: :lol: Thanks for the trip down memory lane - from someone else who is not adverse to using her bus pass to go walking :lol: :lol:

Your cottage must have been very close :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland