walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WASDALE 4 - PILLAR TO YEWBARROW - LAKES

WASDALE 4 - PILLAR TO YEWBARROW - LAKES

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 10/04/2010

Time taken: 8

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello to you all, what a weekend for weather. Like many we were up early on saturday and on our way for 6am to the western Lake District where we travelled to the famous Wasdale Head.

wasdale.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There were quite a few cars parked up and as there were 3 girls out of 4 in our group we noticed the lack of females emerging from the vehicles. :( We were heading for Pillar and we could see our quarry from the parking area and we were soon over the river and on the way, despite many cars no one seemed to be going our way,the lure of the Scafells and Gable etc.
IMG_3135.jpg
Pillar from the car
IMG_3137.jpg
Heading up the valley, quiet!
IMG_3140.jpg
Very rocky
It was very hot as we pressed on but despite this we always have time for a girly pose :lol:
IMG_3151.jpg
Girls
We were heading up the Black Sail Pass and soon reached the turn off for Kirk Fell and our way to Looking Stead which gave us views into the glorious Ennerdale
IMG_3152.jpg
No Kirk Fell today
IMG_3155.jpg
Ennerdale valley
We were heading along the Climbers Traverse to Robinson's Cairn.
IMG_3158.jpg
On the traverse, back towards the big uns
IMG_3160.jpg
The superb Ennerdale
We were at Robinson's cairn but were a little gobsmacked to see the loss of height and route ahead.
IMG_3166.jpg
Robinson's Cairn
IMG_3170.jpg
Oh Dear !
Alan finds it quite funny as he shows the girls the way ahead
IMG_3171.jpg
Upward ever upward
We now took the spectacular Shamrock Traverse to Pillar Rock where we had short breather before the final push to the top.
IMG_3181.jpg
Above Pillar Rock (a Birkett)
As we climbed onto Pillar we could clearly see the Scafells to one direction and Ennerdale to the other
IMG_3182.jpg
The Scafells
IMG_3184.jpg
Pillar summit 892m
IMG_3191.jpg
Ennerdale
It was time to push on across Wind Gap
IMG_3193.jpg
Towards Wind Gap
We reached Scoat Fell before turning towards Red Pike
IMG_3196.jpg
Red Pike summit 821m
From here it was down towards Dore Head and our final top of Yewbarrow
IMG_3200.jpg
Towards Yewbarrow
Once at Dore Head, an alternate way off to Wasdale Head, we could see the serious climb up Stirrup Crag. :(
IMG_3202.jpg
Stirrup Crag
We had a bite to eat here but I set off before the others as I was finding it a bit harder than they were.
IMG_3205.jpg
Down Stirrup Crag
We climbed onto the north of Yewbarrow and I was surprised how long it was
IMG_3209.jpg
Onto Yewbarrow
IMG_3215.jpg
Yewbarrow North Top
We walked along the top with some great scenes all around us
IMG_3219.jpg
Yewbarrow South summit 628m
The last leg certainly wasn't the easiest and tired legs didn't help, it was quite difficult descending Dropping Crag as we "slipped" our way down the scree to Overbeck Bridge
IMG_3222.jpg
View half way down,back to Yewbarrow
It was a tiring walk on a hot day but hey, it was brilliant and we all pulled together, didn't get home until after 8.30pm. Thanks to Alan, Bridie and Jane for a great day :D :D :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: WASDALE 4 - PILLAR TO YEWBARROW - LAKES

Postby mountain coward » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:45 pm

Wow, quite a challenging day with the Pillar High Level Traverse and Shamrock, and then Yewbarrow - we generally miss Yewbarrow out (depending on my mood) on the Mosedale Round and just go up Overbeck behind it.

How was the High Level Traverse? Was it easy to follow going that way? We tried to find it from above once in thick mist but, after descending a steep rib next to an equally steep gully (pretty challenging for me), we couldn't see where you would go next and knew we weren't on ground where you want to wander about! How awful is The Shamrock? I gather the path is a bit loose to say you're on a shelf - what's the drop off it like? Is it the one in your frontal photo (which doesn't look too bad)? Wish I'd come with you as, if me and Richard do it, of course I'll be the leader - not something which bolsters my confidence! It looks a pretty long way down off the route before the Shamrock - is it particularly exposed to Robinson's Cairn? And finally, to end my 20 questions :D - what's the route up to the summit after the Shamrock Traverse like for someone who doesn't like extreme steep ground and exposure?

You seem to suddenly be ploughing through the Wainwrights!

I have a very similar pic of the tarn on Looking Stead to yours - a beautiful tarn isn't it?
Looking Stead tarn.jpg
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi MC,to try and answer your questions,Mr. Conroy says it is difficult to pick up the traverse but about 30m after Looking Stead there is a small cairn that marks the way, once on it it is easy to follow, the next photo shows the track as we made our way to Robinson's.
IMG_3161.jpg
Climbers traverse
He would say that Shamrock is ok in the dry but when wet or icy could be very dangerous, there is a smooth slab to go over which needs extra care and there is a big drop off.
IMG_3169.jpg
Scree meets Shamrock Traverse
IMG_3175.jpg
Underfoot as we climb
That is the Shamrock Traverse on the photo cutting across, but it isn't too exposed from Robinson's to Shamrock. After Shamrock to the summit he thinks it is a straightforward grade 1 scramble and not too exposed.
IMG_3178.jpg
The last push to the summit
Hope that answers your questions MC,always look forward to feedback, when I walk with hubby we can take up to 200 photos, a bit less time with the gang but try and get the important shots although so tired and being wary off Yewbarrow I didn't get that superb view of Wastwater.It'ssometimes hard to decide what to put on, thanks to Paul we can show quite alot :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for the extra pics and description. I've also found the Looking Stead end of the traverse before but not followed it. Going the other way, it didn't look obvious from where you descend from the summit - but we may not have been descending in the correct place. I think I took a look over the front straight down to Pillar rock and thought it looked horrific so looked further right for an easier way... which is when we found the gully with the rocky ridge to the left of it... But it was really claggy so we couldn't really see much and gave up...

Must have a go sometime...
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:29 pm

I really want to go to that part of the Lakes now I've looked at those pics.The conditions looked perfect too.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby colgregg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:20 pm

The photos are brilliant, you certainly did a classic. I did this last year but not in such good weather (until the afternoon.) It was a long day too. I reckon I was out for 10 hours. Yewbarrow is a superb viewpoint on a sunny day it could make you linger for hours just lookin across wasdale and to Wastwater. I came off Yewbarrow the same way as you and later wrote that is was the worst decent of many I'd done in the Lakes.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:44 am

Yes it was hard work thelast descent especially on a hot day, we had all drunk our water by then,as MC said you could miss Yewbarrow but the spectacular views were worth the last effort, its such a beautiful area :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland