walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach 4 + 3, + 10 kg firewood, Corrour overnighter

Braeriach 4 + 3, + 10 kg firewood, Corrour overnighter

Postby Dommie » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Gorm, Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 30/11/2014

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 43.1 km

Ascent: 2900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Before started this walk I came up with the wonderful idea: let's take some firewood with myself, will need in the bothy anyway to warm up and also it will make the night better. So I backpacked 10 kg, nicely chopped firewood into waterproof bags, of course, and started the walk.

Day 1

Basically from the first steps I felt this will be VERY difficult to carry...
First day was from the Sugarbowl car park to the Corrour bothy via Braeriach ridge, so Braeriach was reached first. The walk follows the Walkhighlands route (Carn Toul and Braeriach traverse).
The first day's weather forecast didn't look promising at all. Only good thing in the weather was that it perfectly matched with our expectations: Continuous drizzle and rain, 10-20 m visibility, 60 miles/hours wind at high altitude... Left the car park at 9 am. Reached Braeriach by 13:30, Sgor and Lochan Uaine just after 16:00 and Carn Toul by 17:00. Here the perfect darkness came, drizzle did not stop, but visibility decreased to 1-2 m, with 140 lumen head torch brightness. Navigation was a challenge!. We were at The Devil's Point by about 18:30 and down in the bothy by about 19:20.
Time wise this is very bad but some circumstances didn't let me go faster.
2 of us + 6 others spent the night in the bothy, I was really happy to had this noble company. The 10 kg firewood made the night perfect! 8 people in the bothy are easily in general! The house is in a very good condition, hope it will stay like this for a very long time.

Day 2

Next morning, surprisingly, there wasn't a single dot of cloud on the sky. It was amazing, burning sun, short-trousers and T-shirt in almost December! We left the bothy at 9am, crossed the river and started heading to the South. The Charn a' Mhaim could be climbed from the Western side of the ridge, which is definitely shorter and quicker but we enjoyed the weather instead and joined to the route that goes up there from the Linn of Dee. We were at the top by 11:30. The descend towards Ben Macdui is a beautiful walk and we also saw where we were the day before! Uphill to Ben Macdui is a tiring walk, reached the top by 13:40. Had a short lunch then started heading to North and towards our 190th Munro, to the Cairn Gorm. We just missed the sunset behind Braeriach from the top at 15:50 ish, unfortunately. Nothing else remained but walking down. Passed by the Ptarmigan Station and reached the sky centre by 17:00. Hitch-hiked back to the car that did not take more than 5 minutes all together.

Good luck with completing this walk with Derry Cairngorm.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Dommie
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:3   Donalds:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland