walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Conachcraig a busy path yet quiet hill

Conachcraig a busy path yet quiet hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Conachcraig

Date walked: 30/11/2014

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 9.74 km

Ascent: 472m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm up staying in Inverness area and I'm heading on back to home in Carnoustie, looking a fabulous day for the hills, boots and hillwalking gear in the boot so let's miss the A9 and it's cameras and head across to Tomintoul and Ballater, in fact up Glen Muick to tick off the Corbett which has been on my radar for a a couple of years now Conachcraig. Booted up ready to go at 0915hrs, weather looking fabulous, car park very busy £3.00 ago, nice toilets though.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Target hill on the right. After leaving the car park and passing the toilet block you take the Lochnagar path which is signposted
2.JPG
Heading nearer the Lodge houses in the plantation with a group in the distance
3.JPG
After crossing a track the path goes on the left of this lodge house
4.JPG
After a section through the trees you come out to the open hillside. Good footpath all the way
5.JPG
Soon you cme to this stream crossing, no problems today the water level is low
6.JPG
Path carries on gradually climbing on the South shoulder around Conachraig
7.JPG
Im slightly impatient and I decide to leave this well worn path and head straight on up the South slope of the Corbett. With the low sun behind me I think I will come down the well used path further to the West when the sun will be in my eyes and hopefully will be able to see where I'm putting my feet, and less likely to have a fall. No sign of anybody in front of me and according to Gordie12 it does not take much time to get to the summit from the time you leave the main path
8.JPG
Granite tor near the summit
9.JPG
Summit cairn but not sure if this is the actual top it might be the large rock approx 40m to the West of this, just to make sure I head on over. Summit reached by 1030hrs 1hour 15mins
10.JPG
Lochnagar in the distance looking towards the summit rock
10.JPG
Lochnagar in the distance looking towards the summit rock
11.JPG
Another of Lochnagar
12.JPG
Looking back at the cairn
13.JPG
Lochnagar
14.JPG
Zoom of cliffs
15.JPG
Head on down the well worn path. It only takes about 15mins to get back to the main path again. Not another person to be found on this hill today but I can already see the masses coming up the main path.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Conachcraig a busy path yet quiet hill

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Zeroing in on this one Rod, will maybe make a nice afternoon walk over the Xmas period. Cheers :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:54 am

Hi Beaner, good idea you something to walk of all the extra food. Don't know if the dogs will like it so much only one burn crossing :lol: :lol: and pretty dry up top. Remember to visit both cairn and rock on the left, if you go up the proper path this will bring you out nearer the true summit, enjoy and have a fun time at Christmas and New Year, spend some time planning next years hills :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Alastair S » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:22 am

Nice one. It was a grand day - I was in the area but on my MTB :)

ImageOn The Way To Sandy's Seat
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:26 am

Alastair S wrote:Nice one. It was a grand day - I was in the area but on my MTB :)

ImageOn The Way To Sandy's Seat

Hi Alastair S, glad you had a good day on the bike I trust it was a full day :) Must have been excellent no wind and sunshine, cannot be bad for the end of November,, fingers crossed we get some more before the end of Year :D
Nice photograph by the way.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Another good looking corbett there and looks like a good one to fill a couple of spare hours. Can always recognise the area with the granite :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Another good looking corbett there and looks like a good one to fill a couple of spare hours. Can always recognise the area with the granite :)

Hi Sarah86, not heard from you for a while. A fine wee hill Penny would skip up no doubt, good path all the way, that is if you don't follow my walk in route to the summit :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:11 pm

I will definitely keep that in mind for if I am in the area... always looking for nice hills to get up. Yes, not been online as much lately but have missed reading everyones reports.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:49 pm

It's a good "quickie", great views to Lochnagar and good access path :D But try doing it in knee deep snow, the final climb ... Believe me, it hurts :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping to repeat Lochnagar in winter conditions (we did it in late spring). Talking about snow... Well...Ehmmm... Where is it?...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:36 pm

BlackPanther wrote:It's a good "quickie", great views to Lochnagar and good access path :D But try doing it in knee deep snow, the final climb ... Believe me, it hurts :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping to repeat Lochnagar in winter conditions (we did it in late spring). Talking about snow... Well...Ehmmm... Where is it?...

BP, your wish has come true, this weekend, snow to drop on the hills :) But how much and will it stay? I might see you on Lochnagar but I'll be approaching from the South over Broadcairn from Glen Doll, keep an eye out for The Rodmiester :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland