walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Mountain of the Stag: A Torridon Cracker

The Mountain of the Stag: A Torridon Cracker

by Anne C » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 15/11/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 903m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Mountain of the Stag: A Torridon Cracker

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:43 pm

As others have said, WOW. An area I have never visited but your photos are simply stunning. I really enjoyed reading your report and viewing your photos, it must have been wonderful to waken to such a day so you could achieve what you set out to do. These views are breathtaking.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Just love the pics - particularly the one of the final ridge
What fantastic weather to see these hills in
:mrgreen:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Oh, Anne, these are fantastic photos and a wonderful report. Your enthusiasm shines through! I was on Fuar Tholl the same day - it was magical too.

I never feel like eating on the hill either and, if it's a shortish day, forego lunch. However, I force myself to eat if it's a long day as it does wonders for the energy reserves!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Old Bill » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Like everyone else.... cracking photos!!! What a great looking day! :-)
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Sick Kid » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Excellent report!!!
Love this area so much, and to see it laid out like that.....WOW! I'm kinda jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Missed out on a chance to climb this baby last year, but maybe it's saving itself for a day like this too, hope so :D
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Anne C » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Sick Kid wrote:Excellent report!!!
Love this area so much, and to see it laid out like that.....WOW! I'm kinda jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Need to get yourself up there again! It is so fantastic.

Sarah86 wrote:As others have said, WOW. An area I have never visited but your photos are simply stunning. I really enjoyed reading your report and viewing your photos, it must have been wonderful to waken to such a day so you could achieve what you set out to do. These views are breathtaking.

Thanks Sarah :D One of the finest views I've seen from any mountain, though I've got a lot still to do and experience! Hopefully more gems to come.

Old Bill wrote:Like everyone else.... cracking photos!!! What a great looking day! :-)

Thanks Old Bill.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:58 pm

There's something extra special about getting a good day on the hill after several days of bad weather.

The colour and light in your photos are fantastic. November is one time of year I've not yet visited the Highlands. On this evidence that needs to be rectified asap.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Anne C » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:00 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Oh, Anne, these are fantastic photos and a wonderful report. Your enthusiasm shines through! I was on Fuar Tholl the same day - it was magical too.

I never feel like eating on the hill either and, if it's a shortish day, forego lunch. However, I force myself to eat if it's a long day as it does wonders for the energy reserves!

Hi Annie - thank you and great to say hello again! Incredible that you were not so far away that day, what a lovely thought. I actually wondered , when we reached the summit, what you might be doing on such a cracking day , given you live nearby. We'd been up and over the Bealach na Ba two days before - gale force, freezing wind, but clear, then into the Applecross Inn for lunch.Very envious of where you live!

Yes I think forcing yourself to snack on something makes a big difference as I've been caught out exhausted with a sugar crisis a couple of times through not eating before the walk. :roll: Really stupid.This time I 'forced' myself to scoff down two rolls and sausage for breakfast.Magic!
Anne C
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:34 pm

What a cracker of a day to get for this walk - great set of photos to show the area off at it best - certainly brightened up my day ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Anne C » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:44 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Just love the pics - particularly the one of the final ridge
What fantastic weather to see these hills in
:mrgreen:

rockhopper wrote:What a cracker of a day to get for this walk - great set of photos to show the area off at it best - certainly brightened up my day ! - cheers :)

Thanks to you both! :D

Phil the Hill wrote:There's something extra special about getting a good day on the hill after several days of bad weather.

The colour and light in your photos are fantastic. November is one time of year I've not yet visited the Highlands. On this evidence that needs to be rectified asap.

Yes - get up there, definitely.I really think late autumn/early winter is the best time for colour and light.You won't believe the way the hills change from green/gold to deep orange.And the air is so cold and - after a hoolie has blown - very clear.Dramatic light even in poorest weather when the sun suddenly breaks through a little.
Anne C
Walker

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Some amazing clarity in those photos. This and Huff_n_Puff's report from Beinn Liath Mhor make for a classic pair - both in the running for report of the month, I would have thought :D

Must head back here this winter - only been up here once for some reason.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Anne C » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:35 pm

malky_c wrote:Some amazing clarity in those photos. This and Huff_n_Puff's report from Beinn Liath Mhor make for a classic pair - both in the running for report of the month, I would have thought :D

Must head back here this winter - only been up here once for some reason.

Thanks malky_c - glad you liked the photos and report. I think Torridon tends to just blow you away when you see it in great weather and light (even in not such good light!). Have been going up there several times in the last 2 years but never got it like that.It's been some autumn/early winter.
Anne C
Walker

Postby Crib Goch » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Brilliant walk report and fantastic photos - a worthy walk of the month!

You have shown me what I missed - we walked Beinn Damh on a rotten day in June last year with clag down to 1000ft - saw nowt. Saw it in all its glory though from Beinn Liath Mhor in September. Great stuff.

Martin
Crib Goch
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:28
Fionas:25   Donalds:54
Sub 2000:45   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:42

Postby dogplodder » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

A worthy report of the month winner! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Anne C » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:55 pm

dogplodder wrote:A worthy report of the month winner! :clap:

Thanks dogplodder...I thought my report was pretty tame compared to many others.What a difference the great weather and Nov colours made to so many posters photos last month.A walkhighlands calendar is in order I think!
Anne C
Walker

32 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland