walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Global Warming?

Global Warming?

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mac Ranaich, Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 30/11/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 984m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

If today was an example of global warming, let's have more of it - walking on 30th Nov in a t-shirt, with the sun dazzling you, hardly a cloud in the sky, a little gentle breeze occasionally, what could be better 8)
Certainly the forecast for today was good, but we have all experienced good forecasts before :lol:

I had planned this walk after reading Pete R's report (thanks Pete :wink: ) so the route was loaded into my phone and I printed off the WH route which turned out to be a good idea, especially for the first bit where you have to negotiate gates, left & right turns until you reach Glen Kendrum :wink:

Set off from Fife at 7.15 and arrived in the large car park at Lochearnhead at 8.25 and soon hit the road. There was a chill in the air and I made an executive decision not to be a wimp and leave my gloves in my rucksack - turned out to be a good idea as I soon warmed up :lol:
I won't describe the route as that is well documented and Pete's recent report described it perfectly :clap:

DSCF7366.JPG
The picturesque Episcopalian Church as described in the WH route

DSCF7367.JPG
Not exactly road worthy, in need of a bit of TLC or towed away to caravan heaven

DSCF7379.JPG
The disused railway line which now serves as a great walking/cycling path

DSCF7384.JPG
Today's first target, look at that sky!!

I had considered bringing my bike and glad I didn't as I would have ended up pushing it for mile after mile, as the track although great to walk on does rise nice and gradually. Coming down on a bike would have been rather rapid and would probably need to replace the brake pads sooner rather than later :lol:

DSCF7387.JPG
The burn that requires crossing, flip flops not needed

Once you reach the highest part of the track it is then time to turn right and head steeply upwards. There is no obvious path to follow not that I normally bother with paths :lol: However I noticed a fence post quite a bit higher up, so decided to head for that as I figured if someone can plonk that in the ground that is good enough for me :wink:
Whilst pausing to admire the views I noticed I was being followed (by a lurker), more of that in a minute :lol:
The climb up the tufty grass was quite hard going and I had to stop fairly frequently to keep admiring the views :wink:

DSCF7399.JPG
A nice shadow, but the shot highlights the gradient

One of the good things about Corbetts and the wee'r hills, the steepness and out of breathness doesn't last as long :lol: It wasn't long before I was prowling around the summit taking in the awesome views, I was hoping to experience another Brocken Spectre, as the sun was beating down and there were pockets of cloud floating down the glens. So I was moving rapidly to the edge of the summit to get myself onto the horizon, with the sun behind me, just about made it before the cloud disapated :wink:

DSCF7402.JPG
Brocken Spectre, not the best photo

When I returned to the small summit cairn it was then that I was joined by David (stirlingdavo), we got chatting and David admitted to being a lurker on WH, maybe now he might post a wee bit more :lol: :lol:
I asked David if he wanted to join me & we never had a moments silence for the rest of the day, even when I was needing a stop to 'admire the views' :lol:
Here are a few of the amazing shots from the summit of Creag Mac Ranaich :wink:

DSCF7413.JPG
Summit with Ben More in the background

DSCF7400.JPG
Not smoke on the water, more like smoke on the hills

DSCF7406.JPG
Ben Lawers & Co

DSCF7411.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binean

DSCF7434.JPG
Anyone know what the pointy hill is?

DSCF7432.JPG

The descent down to the track was "interesting" much harder and requiring far more concentration than the ascent :wink: Once on the track we turned right for a few metres and then turned left following a faint path across the heathery grass before the ascent of Meall an t-Seallaidh. As David and I were talking almost non stop we seemed to reach the summit in no time :lol: For some reason I didn't take as many photo's, not sure why and I didn't even take one of the summit trig on Meall an t-Seallaidh :lol: :lol:
Here are a few photo's from the summit, had fantastic views of Loch Earn along with Ben Vorlich & Stuc a Chron and the other prominent Corbetts Ben Each, Ledi & Vane :wink:

DSCF7428.JPG
Loch Earn

DSCF7429.JPG
Ben Vorlich & Stuc a' Chron

DSCF7436.JPG
St Fillans (zoomed) at the far end of Loch Earn

DSCF7437.JPG
A weather front approaching?

DSCF7438.JPG
Ben More from a slightly different angle

The descent off Meall an t-Seallaidh was pretty non descript, we tried to follow the WH route but if there is anything resembling a path we didn't find it :lol: We could see the track in the distance so we adopted a fairly direct route avoiding any crags that appeared.
The descent down the track was very easy, we did meet a chap heading uphill 'in shorts' but going at a fair pace :lol:
We arrived back at the car park after 6 very enjoyable hours :wink:

DSCF7441.JPG
Fairly stern warning

A big thanks to David, was great to meet you, hopefully we will meet up again :wink: Don't forget to check the 'Meets' section, that way you could have company on some of the more "adventurous" walks :wink:
Weather permitting I may even venture out again this week - Next :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Global Warming?

Postby PeteR » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:59 pm

There's definitely nothing wrong with frequent stops to admire the views Martin. It's an integral part of all of my walks :lol:

Glad you got the views for these two :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:54 am

I agree, global warming must have something to do with November's weather this year... We were out yesterday, too, Corbett bagging again, walked in thin tops up on the ridge and sweated like hell! :lol: Some autumn we have had so far... But deep down in my heart I miss the snow. What can be better than crampons & ice axe adventure on a bright crispy winter day?

That weather front you zoomed to has reached us (we were in Ardgour) just past midday, but it was just patchy cloud and a bit of wind. Another good weekend under the belt, have we pushed our luck too far? I bet next one will be wet, windy and miserable :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:50 pm

I agree, it was a cracking day yesterday, I headed up Ben A'an and had to take my fleece off, I actually got to sit and enjoy the summit a complete contrast to my visit to Ben Vorlich last weekend. Looks like you had a great day out in t he sunshine and were rewarded with fabulous views.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Martin was hoping I might join you but leaving from Inverness I thought better of it and did a we Corbett en route back to Carnoustie (Conachcraig) NE of Lochnagar, a quick up and down travelling light and back home for lunchtime. Fabulous day though, glad you got the two done, by all accounts reading PeteR's report the start can be somewhat confusing :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby stirlingdavo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Aaah I've been outed as a lurker!! :lol:

It was a great day though and really nice to meet you Martin. Maybe see you sometime again in the future. I'll probably be lurking in the shadows though....... :wink:
stirlingdavo
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:99
Fionas:78   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:39   
Islands:27

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 am

These hills make for a nice walk - even better on a day like this - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:28 am

Great report, Martin. Looks like a lovely pair of hills. I can never keep to paths either - especially if they have zig-zags as I just keep going without noticing the bend :lol: As for stopping to take in the views, they seem to be getting better and more frequent the older I get!!!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Nice one Martin, this looks a good day out. First time ive seen a sign like that re dogs :shock: :shock: Maybe wait till they are a bit older and less excitable to do these then :wink:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland