walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair

Beinn Chabhair

Postby Fairweather Softie » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Date walked: 11/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 933m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fantastic day and needed to hide from the world for a day so took to the hills for the first time in 5 months, as my name suggests the white stuff is not for me. I tried this the last time I was out in November and ended up in a hole waist deep in mud and gave up just before the Lochan.

The drive to the drovers was undescribable, I nearly crashed twice looking across the loch, arrived at about 08:45 and was out the car and walking across the A82 5 minutes later. Parked across from Drovers was not sure if you can park in the Ben Glass farm.

No time to warm the legs up, your right into hill so started up the steep climb up across the 2 derr fences and onto the moor, it was not as wet underfoot as the last time so had a easy walk across the moor. Missed the turn off to the left and ended up seeing the Lochan. I would have hated to have walked the 7 or 8 km in the bog from the last time.

From Lochan Beinn Chabhair I headed up besie a small burn, no snow and still not bad underfoot, got up and found the path as described on this site. Think I should have headed up sooner as the route description on here says I should not have seen the Lochan. Glorious views from the top but as is the norm with me I forgot camera and it might be added a HAT, a baldy man and sunny weather does not go hand in hand. I ended up wearing a top on my head like something out of Laurence of Arabia. i took a couple of pictures on my blackberry but they are poor.

Getting down was via same route I was talking to a guy at the top who intended to head down SE he thought a path going in that direction would come back on itself.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Re: Beinn Chabhair

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 am

I went up the traditional path (mentioned on here I think) up Beinn Chabhair from the shoulder - great route... then I made my way down the opposite end by starting off on a path going that way. I'm pretty sure the path didn't go down though as it started heading off down the back somewhere so I gave up and just made my way down the front. There were quite a few awkward icy crags about so I had to be pretty careful but didn't encounter any actual difficulties... I hate going back the same way I went up something though - I prefer a circuit of some sort. On the way to Beinn Chabhair I did all the lumps and bumps on the left - totally exhausting and not a great idea of mine!
mountain coward

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 am

I was lucky when I did this hill a couple of months ago. It was -9C (at sea level) the night before and the entire route was frozen solid so no bog :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:45 am

Yeah, I think that would be the way to do it! But you could probably say that for a lot of Munros! :D
mountain coward

Postby monty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 am

Not one of your better days Fairweather, forgot hat/camera nearly crashed, missed the turn :lol: :lol: We have all had them.

Leithy, your comment on walking at -9 seems now to be a great idea due to the pending boggy ground we are all going to have to face again soon :lol: and your right MC its most of the hilly munros :lol: as oppossed to the rocky munros.
monty

Postby jonny616 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:28 pm

I did this Beinn about a year ago & took a route that followed the Allt a Chuilion & it was a wet, lumpy sore on the feet nightmare. In some places the grass was so high i felt like a hobbit.

I learnt a vaulable leason about hill walking in Scotland, don't follow Cameron Macneish!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Why, does he fart? :D :lol: I often think 'Don't follow Cameron McNeish' when I read some of the daft routes he takes!
mountain coward

Postby Wanderlust » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:46 pm

I did this one on the 1st April, took the route up from the farm and across the moor and up past the Lochan. I wasn't sure of the recognised route, but I approached the summit from it's south ridge, got some good views of the Lochan on the way up. I followed the ridge from the summit then descended the slopes into Coire a' Chuilinn, then along the banks of Allt a' Chuilinn to the West Highland Way track.

Got some fine views of the Ben Lui group on the descent and of An Caisteal and Ben More from the WHW path.

Lochan Beinn Chabhair

Ben Lui group

An Caisteal

Ben More
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland