walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Bhuachaille

Meall a' Bhuachaille

Postby IainG » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 13/02/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With another miserable weekend forecast, I thought I'd post up a report on a brilliant Corbett in the Cairngorms which we done on 6th December 2008.

We travelled up to Aviemore on the friday evening. We took the car as the YH don't allow camper-vans and because it was the Cairngorms it was an economic argument of fuel versus accomodation cost, and we decided on the YH. We were offered a twin room, so at least there'd be a limited chance of being cooped up with the normal farting and snoring brigade!

We dropped the bags and set off to find a decent pub in Aviemore. After a few pints during the search, we eventually ended up in the Old Bridge Inn. A great hoot it turned out to be. Loads of beer and some cracking laughs!!

Just as well our normal punctuality and inhibitions were completely shot as this allowed us merrily to leave the boozer at 0030 in full knowledge that the YH locked the front door at midnight! Luckily, a smoker had left the door ajar and we were in. We then had a right old feast of curry, chocolate, and cheese before hitting the sack.

Next morning it was up early to head up to Glenmore Lodge to park up. The roads were like glass. Certainly not gritted and with a 1" layer of polished ice on top. Lovely. We passed a car on it's roof in a ditch next to Rothiemurchus which had just happened. The folk were alright and others had stopped, so we continued on our way.

The parking area at the dead-end next to Glenmore Lodge.

This day was going to be a cracker. The skies were clearing and the sun was licking the tops of the peaks. The track was solid frozen as we headed up towards Ryvoan Bothy.

Looking south from Ryvoan Bothy, the sun just touching the plateau.

It's a cracking wee bothy and was actually a bit warmer than outside, rare for a bothy. We took the opportunity to have the obligatory Breakfast Becks. Braw!!

We followed a path with lots of footprints directly west from the bothy. A well engineered path which contoured up the hillside. Looking back at the bothy.

The path disappeared a few times in knee deep powdery snow as we approached the summit. The conditions were stunning.

The view over towards Bynack More:

The view East:

I think this was North?

The ice on the cairn.

We decided to return via the bealach with Creagan Gorm, making a nice circular route. The views on our descent towards Loch Morlich.

A great day out in the Cairngorms. Has to be one of the best days yet.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Postby cjwaugh » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Love the pictures IainG especially the last two :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby IainG » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Cheers :D

I think it would have been hard to take a duff photo that day. It was stunning all round.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby sproot » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:24 am

that looks amazing, got it penciled in to my must do,s ,,,, other than the becks yuck , a nice cold bud and you would have perfection ,, looks like a date i need to make , cheers
sproot

Munros:2   Corbetts:3

Postby doogz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:49 am

sooperb ....Image...great report ...however would you have got into your digs without the smoker :D :D :D

nothing illegal i hope?

great set o piccies

doogz 8) 8)
doogz

Postby IainG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 am

Alright Doogz :D :D :D

No nothing illegal, only the unauthorised entry to the YH!

Loved the wee picture, nice to see it again. Are you trying to blow my cover :lol: :lol:

Iain 8)
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Aaaaah, one of those amazing days, which live long in the memory.
I can almost smell the frosty air pervading my nostrils.

Nice post
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland