walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walked above the mist

Walked above the mist

Postby WalkiesAmber » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 22/11/2014

Distance: 9.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started from Pitlochry in fog, just above where the BYV car park is the mist starts to clear and when on path near the moors you in sunshine! Clear all the way with fab views of the Tummel valley in fog. The stone staircase is hard work as it takes about 40 mins to climb an uneven path so you have to keep you wits about you up and down or you could lose your footing. However, the effort is worth it and when at the top the views are great. We even got a photo of a brocken spectre!

The car park is small and always full but you can park at the bottom of the road by the houses (bungalows) as there are no yellow lines.
WalkiesAmber
Mountaineer

Re: Walked above the mist

Postby Yorjick » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:09 am

I was just telling my students in Kazakhstan about when I climbed Ben Vrackie in the 1990s. We are studying antibiotics.

Around 1997, I was diagnosed with impetigo, caused by Staphylococcus aureus. The doctor took a swab to test the pathogen for antibiotic resistance, but prescribed me with penicillin applied externally. I was about to head off on my Summer trip to the Highlands, heading for Barra,up through the western Isles, across to Ullapool, north to visit Cape Wrath, along the north coast to John o' Groats before heading south down the A9.

I applied the penicillin daily as per instructions but it did not go away. It was not getting any worse, but it was not getting any better either.

I stopped off on my way south to climb Ben Vrackie. There was a steady breeze, with patches of cloud on the western slopes and sunshine to the southeast [morning]. At the summit, I could see the most impressive brocken spectres, and furthermore, the ghost at the centre approached me at pace and merged with my body! Basically the reverse of your spirit leaving your body when you die. I am a scientist and have a vague understand of the physics behind the phenomenon, including diffraction. I can appreciate why a faithful young girl, Bernadette, in Lourdes, might interpret her vision/brocken spectre as being the Virgin Mary.

I don't thinkmy brockenspectre could be interpreted as a visionof the Virgin Mary! :lol:

As I say, I am a scientist, but my impetigo was gone within 48 hours. Was it a miracle or did it just take time for the antibiotic to work? Perhaps people should hike up bare footed [like Croagh Patrick] and visit Saint Yorjick's grotto or shrine?

But remember! ""A casual correlation does not imply causation""
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland