walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich - The Streak Continues

Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich - The Streak Continues

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 11/04/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1210m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here, but every time I have travelled west of Tyndrum for a day in the hills the weather has been nearly perfect. Sunday was another one of those days, bright skies and warm temps. So bright and warm that sunscreen and shorts were required. Started my walk at 9:45, making my way along the track past the farm and the lazy highland cows. Beinn a'Chochuill can be seen the entire way up the track so I could see what lay ahead - steepness. The track forked and headed around the lower slope of the hill where at one point I just turned left and headed up. Found the good path shortly thereafter and continued to climb. This was much steeper than I thought it would be and the pains of Saturday's walk were starting to set in. I took plenty of breaks up the hill for water and eventually reached the summit at noon. Great place for a Sunday picnic! The first thing that really catches your eye is the intimidating Ben Cruachan. Wow, some hill that is, I'll need my courage juice before tackling that beast. The views to Ben Starav and Glencoe were simply amazing, still a bit of snow on the highest peaks in that direction. Had lunch on Beinn a'Chochuill and proceeded down to the bealach before heading up Beinn Eunaich. Another steep climb and by this point I was stopping more often for a breather. Once at the top I had the peak to myself. Great view over to Ben Lui and the Crianlarich hills and then over to Beinn Dorain. Sat here a while taking in the sights and sunshine before heading down the south slope. There is a good path all the way to the edge where you break off straight down to the farm track. It is very steep, but you are quickly down with one steady foot in front of the other. Back to the car in 6 hours. There was a nasty accident on the road back to Tyndrum involving a motorcycle that hit a van. Hundreds of bikes were on the roads and way too many of them made some insane passes on the busy roads so it didn't surprise me to see one busted up. Hopefully everyone involved is ok.

I really enjoyed these two hills for various reasons. A. My boots stayed totally dry throughout the walk and gaitors were not required. B. There is a good path around the entire circuit. C. Great views in all directions. D. There were only a few people on these two and I pretty much had the summits to myself.

I would suggest this walk to anyone just beginning their hillwalking adventures. It would certainly set you up for some of the more strenous walks in the Glen Etive / Glencoe area.

My hair is in my eyes.jpg

Beinn a'Chochuill .jpg

Up to the summit of Beinn a'Chochuill.jpg

Beinn a'Chochuill summit.jpg

Nice spot for a picnic.jpg

Beinn Eunaich from Beinn a'Chochuill.jpg

Ben Starav.jpg

Ben Cruachan.jpg

Intimidating Ben Cruachan.jpg

Looking toward Rannoch Moor.jpg

Beinn Eunaich with Beinn Dorain group in distance.jpg

Beinn a'Chochuill with Ben Cruachan behind.jpg

Beinn Dorain group.jpg

Ben More, Stob Binnein, and Ben Lui.jpg

Ben Starav to Glencoe.jpg

To Creise and Stob Gabhar.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich - The Streak Continues

Postby kinley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Lovely - but I doubt your run of weather will last - if it does we'll have to set the Inquisition on you :lol:

Great set of pics 8)
kinley

Postby Graeme D » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Cracking report and pics Stretch! You heard it here first folks - next time there is a Walkhighlands bothy/wild camp meet organised, it's being organised by Stretch and it's somewhere west of Tyndrum! :D

Sunday was a belter and I thoroughly enjoyed it too. However, having spent 7 hours on Friday up in the Lawers range and 4 hours on Saturday tackling the Corbett Beinn a Chulachain near Loch Rannoch (report to come soon), I have to admit to enjoying Sunday from the relative low level of the back garden! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Some views you had Stretch,was up there 2 weeks ago,here is a couple of pics of my views
mixed 088.jpg
1 st munro,
mixed 089.jpg
2nd munro, some views :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Milesy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

And your army of walking sticks to take over the world? :D
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks Kinley, no one would expect the Inquisition I'm sure.

Graeme, that sounds like a huge responsibility but I could try. Perhaps I can even arrange a midge-free weekend :lol:

Tough luck about your views Gammy, I read your report a few times before I did this.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Alan S » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Cracking pictures there stretch,its good to see what we missed 8) it was some day for walking eh :)
And your army of walking sticks to take over the world?
he isnt called gammy leg for nothing,they are just his spares :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby davgil » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Great report Stretch!
Love the pics too especially the coo (with the horns growing on it's butt :lol:)
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby graeme84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am

davgil wrote:Great report Stretch!
Love the pics too especially the coo (with the horns growing on it's butt :lol:)

:lol: did think the cow looked in some discomfort
graeme84

Munros:68   Corbetts:13
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby monty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am

Nice report Stretch. Your keen going out on Sunday after your long walk on Saturday :D The ridge on Ben Cruachan looks good. I hope the weekend weather is a sign of a good summer to come. :D
monty

Postby Stretch » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:30 am

monty wrote:Nice report Stretch. Your keen going out on Sunday after your long walk on Saturday :D The ridge on Ben Cruachan looks good. I hope the weekend weather is a sign of a good summer to come. :D

Cheers Monty, I had also done the Cairnwell three on Friday in Glenshee so by the time I started up Beinn Eunaich I was pooped. Looking across to Ben Cruachan I instantly regretted not packing extra underwear :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland