walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Piper at the gates of dawn.

Piper at the gates of dawn.

Postby jonny616 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:55 pm

Route description: Glen Strathfarrar Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 06/12/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1765m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Heading north straight from work on Friday for the first Crimbo bash of the year at Nethy Bridge on Saturday I was feeling very chipper with a big day in the hills planned for Saturday with friends followed by some eating, loads of banter and even more drinking afterwards I arrived in Avimore unconcerned that the weather forecast was grim. :lol:

So four thirty am Mark, Polly and I are awake and slightly less than rearing to go. Especially as M&P had done three munros over 40k on Friday.

Our destination the munros of Strathfarra. We had registerd the cars and been given the code to the gate with Mcofs.

Fast forward a couple of hours and we are at the gate and after a bit of a struggle we locate the correct padlock (there are about 20, but only one with a numbered barrel), except it won't open. Much huffing and puffing even a couple of swarey words still it won't open. Then a car draws up on the inside. A bit of chat and he agrees to let us in saying the lady who lives in the adjacent house should be there to let us out. I know what you are thinking but 'he who dares wins' and all that.

We then drive the 12 or so miles to the traditional start point, leave a car and drive on to the place were the other track joins the glen road. It's cloudy, windy and pishing down.

We head off up the track and past a pretty waterfall and head on towards, well nothing really. The path winds its sodden way until the impressive corrie of Sgurr ha Muice and Loch Toll a' Mhuic come into brooding view. By this point we have crossed to streams which I'm sure you would hardly notice during dry periods but today care was needed. From here the traversing path takes you slowly up to the ridge. Seemed to take ages and I was playing mind games while we were being battered by the wind and loosing.
We had a very quick bite to eat before topping out on the ridge and from there it was not long until the summit of Sgurr Fhuar-thuill.
The next part I'm sure is a lovely ridge walk over the minor top and on to munros two, three and four, but we could see he haw except the rain dripping of the end of our noses. We had a wee celebration planned for the third Munro as this would be Polly's 200 :clap: :clap: :clap: 8) but we marched on just a quick photo. We also won't mention our dodgy navigation moment dodgy in the fact that we didn't check which way to go leaving the second summit until we had dropped 200 meters :crazy:
The walk out from Sgurr na Ruaidhe is a quick descent in terms of height, fairly straight forward, but then it turns to muddy boggy crap until we hit the track. Followed by the beautiful sight of the car we had left at the end. :clap:
Drive to pick up the other car and then the 14 odd mile drive back to the gate which we can't open and a house in darkness :( :( :( :(
We faft and fannied and eventually I drove back to the first house about 15 mins back up the glen. Lovely lady confirmed that our code was correct and then offered an alternative exit strategy for which I am sworn to secrecy :clap: Drive back and away we go. Nethy Bridge bound to meet our fellow Meanderers and party the night away.
Well done to Polly on the 200 and well done to Polly and Mark for dragging my wet sorry arse around this walk.
Sunday morning I had a wee stroll on the beach at Loch Morlich to clear the head.
Not many photos due to the awfull weather :lol: :lol: :lol:
strath 1.jpg
strath 2.jpg
strath 3.jpg
strath 4.jpg
strath 5.jpg
first summit
strath 6.jpg
strath 7.jpg
can nearly see something
strath 8.jpg
Fourth summit
strath 9.jpg
strath 10.jpg
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Piper at the gates of dawn.

Postby jonny616 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Polly's 200th :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10446343_819248594798542_945864804678854918_o.jpg
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Gutted I missed this one rain & all.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 am

Tough day, jonny but worth it in the end even if it wasn’t “Flaming” hot weather :lol: Congratulations to Polly :clap: Guess you purists couldn’t take a “Bike” though it can avoid having to go into “Interstellar Overdrive” to get back to the gate in time. Did mean you'd to “Take up thy stethoscope and walk” the whole way – but what happened to “The gnome” and the “Scarecrow” ? :wink: – sorry, can't work out how to fit in “Astronomy Domine” and the rest :roll: :crazy: :crazy: – cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gaffr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 am

Tough day out in the wind and rain. :) I avoided all of that gate/keys stuff by camping up in one of the coires ....seems like a nightmare. :)
I'd be even more concerned though about the 'Pan Piper'. :) Wasn't it he who sought out humans in wild places? :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:33 am

Smashing report Jonny as ever :clap: :clap:

Where was this bad weather you were refering to ? I couldn't see anything of the sort- I was blinded for the whole walk by eye stabbing hailstones of death!

As for the gate malarkey, I could have wept with frustration knowing that everyone else was back at the bunkhouse clean, dry and clearing the pool table!!!! :shock: :shock:

Thanks to you and Mark for making my 200th celebration one I will never forget! :lol: :lol: XXX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm

You lot are hard core going out and doing those 4 in that! :clap: Shame you got stuck at the gate when you had the right code. Wonder what that's about? :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby quoman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:47 pm

We also won't mention our dodgy navigation moment dodgy in the fact that we didn't check which way to go leaving the second summit until we had dropped 200 meters :crazy:

I told you about that :lol: :lol: its a fair slog back up to the 2nd munro..well done polly on the 200th mark.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Its a shame the ridge was Obscured by clouds.
Sunset tripper

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Fun report Jonny
pretty much described my own experience of these in similar conditions several years ago.. apart from the gate...and the company ...and the meanderers meet... and Polly.... (well done girl :clap: )

...in fact very little like my experience!!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby pigeon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Nasty!Shame cos these hills make a good day,well done to Polly on 200 :clap: Is there a who can compleat first bet on between you lot??? :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:47 am

Congratulations to Polly :clap: :clap: :clap: - brave people for doing this trip with less than perfect weather, and long summer days :lol: :lol:. Love the title of the report -- which of you was the piper :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Nice report Jonny on a rough ish ( :lol: ) day. least ypou had a 'nice' clean shirt to change in to :lol: :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby jonny616 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:17 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Gutted I missed this one rain & all.

I know mate, but fear not I'll get you soaked soon enough :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26 am

Cheers all for the comments. No bets on Pigeon, but put your money on Polly 8)
Gaffr he could have been the Pan Piper let us in and no way out :lol: Did make me think of crap horror movie when a group of kids go into a dark wood etc etc.
Rockhopper don't beat yourself up you did well getting all the others in.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland