walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Arthur meets the Three Amigos

Ben Arthur meets the Three Amigos

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 05/12/2014

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Three Amigos set off to conquer The Cobbler one fine morning.

BoSamBubba selfie.jpg

The weather was near perfect for an attempt on The Needle ...clear, blue skies, no wind, sunshine all day :-)

Bubba, a seasoned veteran of Boot Camp with many successful Needle ascents under his kilt was confident that this would be a good day for the two new recruits keen to 'cut their teeth' in the Alps by 'bagging' this iconic Corbett.

Tough Mudder Bo was keen to get some 'real mud' on his t shirt and test his endurance in a national park, The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park to be exact, as opposed running around some country estate.

The obstacle course at Boot Camp is 'natural' not 'man-made' and there's no 'elf and safety' out here in 'big country' just common sense, as he was about to find out. :lol:

Bubbosign1.jpg

Sam was feeling almost saintly on the day. It's a sign! . It's a sign! He uttered as he saw this photo :lol: He was about tackle a walk of 'biblical proportions' in Gods own country and certainly looked the part. :lol:

Bo Sam Halo.jpg

After the obligatory photo shoot at the entrance to Boot Camp, a 'right of passage' for all new recruits, Bubba leads the way up the trail towards the first objective to test their 'metal' ..The Narnain Boulder Scramble. Leaving the Butter Burn Splash at Chillout Creek (not the real names) for another day.

bubbatrail.jpg

Bo claims his piece of Boot Camp straight away and renamed this stone... Bo Rock :lol:

BoRock.jpg

We head on up the track and soon reach the Narnain Boulders with the famous Cobbler in the background waiting for us.

exnarnbouldersbobubba.jpg

Bo and Bubba tackle 'the big one' first. After a few attempts we decided to err on caution and tackle it another day keeping our energies for the main event... The Needle.

We did return a few weeks later ...this time with Bo's 'better half' and we conquered the big rock by scrambling onto it's flat top. Look out for this report coming soon in 'Bubbas Micro Adventures' :D

BubbaBoNarnainBoulderattemptexc4.jpg

BubbaNarnainBoulderattemptex.jpg

We then crossed over the Ailt a Bhalachain stream further up and headed up the steep corrie with the North Peak towering overhead to the right of the path heading for the col between The Cobblers Last and The Needle.

We were treated to the sight of some 'real' rock climbing as we watched a guy suspended in an almost impossible position hanging in mid-air by just his finger tips and a thin rope. Wow!

We stopped for some 'selfies on the col before heading up to the left to reach the true summit about 10mins later

3 amigos thumbs exc.jpg

Sgt. Bubba took the time to show his two recruits around Boot Camp pointing out Ben Ime, Ben Narnain, Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich and some of the other Munros in the area for another time. All could be seen clearly on such an excellent clear, blue sky afternoon. It was a joy to be out in the hills on a day like it was.

bubba showing the way to bo.jpg

We stopped to take a selfie at the top before Bo and Bubba scrambled up onto the 'true' summit by 'Threading the Needle' whilst Sam 'chilled' out below and took the 'official' snaps from it's base.

3 amigos ex.jpg

In order to reach the true summit of the Cobbler you have to crawl through the 'eye' to a ledge on the other side overlooking a serious drop onto boulders below. You then have to 'shimmy along the ledge being careful not to trip, slip or stumble and then up a sloping ramp. You then have to pull yourself up onto a couple of leaning rocks memorising your own personal, preferred handholds and footholds for the return leg and finally clamber up onto the sloped summit which is about as wide as a double bed though I wouldn't recommend sleeping here :crazy:

Thus 'Threading the Needle' because you thread yourself through the eye, along and double back on yourself!

At Bubbas Boot Camp you also have to then sink a beer, cook a steak and fly the Saltire as a mark of respect to God's own country :lol:

Sacrificial offerings to the Gods ....a sort of 'pagan' ritual at Boot Camp and a 'right of passage' :D

10342448_1596912700533742_1288868803245670347_n[1].jpg

Mind the Gap :shock:

Needle gap steak.jpg

We did the customary Boot Camp salute to the 45', had a few beers to celebrate... then scrambled back down through the eye.

BubbaBoSaltireRampantNeedle.jpg

BoNeedleHidenSeek.jpg

exbubeye.jpg

exboeyebubbsaltire.jpg

sameyeneedle.jpg

Safely back of the Needle ...it was time for some Boot Camp celebrations waving the flag and sinking the beers and just generally enjoying the 'great outdoors' on a wonderful day weather wise :clap:

Bo Bubba Base needle.jpg

BubbaBoSaltireNeedle.jpg

3 amigos needle good.jpg

Sam waving it for the 45' :clap:

SamEnglishScot.jpg

The weather was so good we were able just hang around and enjoy the stunning views from this vantage point, have a few more flaggans with our lunch and then head on back down . Job Done!

Bo Sam Needle Base Flaggans.jpg

Exc Bubba Bo Sam Needle Base.jpg

3 amigos exc2.jpg
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

Re: Ben Arthur meets the Three Amigos

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Great job in cracking weather! :D
Great pics too. :clap:
Looking forward to this one, but in present weather, not for a while.
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:08 am

Hi Jepson!

Thanks for the positive comments on a great day out on the Cobbler :D .

Watch this space for the Cobbler in Winter reports. The good thing about this iconic mountain is that you can do it all year round no matter the weather.

bubba snowshades.jpg

bubsnowneddsticks.jpg
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Great report, The Cobbler remains one of my favourite walks.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:31 pm

Thanks Sarah!

It's always a classic to do if your strapped for time and just want to keep 'hillfit' :) .

I use all of the Arrochar Hills as a training camp to keep my fitness up and to test out my walking kit because there is so much variety and so many challenges to offer at all levels in such area, I'm then confident that when I move to another area like the Cairngorms or Glencoe that I'm fit enough to enjoy trailblazing the new routes. :-) If your out in the Alps and you see smoke rising from any of the summits pop over for some steak 'cause it's probably me having a Bubba-Q.

steakfest on cobbler.jpg

This was probably my favourite Bubba Q of last year. Ribeye cooked to perfection on The Needle Summit washed down with a Toffe Apple cider looking over to Ben Narnain :-) It's the way forward!
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby kev_russ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Nice report and pics Bubba :thumbup: That steak looks the business. Yet to do the cobbler but hopefully when I head up I'll bump into your good self. Turn ma ma lunch sandwich intae a steak sandwich :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Absolutely Kev, :-)

Anytime youR up the Alps, as I mentioned to Sarah and you see what looks like a dormant volcanoe becoming active...don't worry.... it's probably just Bubba cooking steak @ 3k :-)

Pop over and introduce yourself and share some steak :-)

It's always good to 'chew the fat' with 'kindred spirits' like yourself ... in fact some of the best days out have been meeting randoms and swapping stories and information about the routes ahead and experiences of others. That's how we all learn ...from others. Survive and Prosper!

1488bubba-q narnain.jpg

This was Steakfest Narnain with a few of my favourite Ales as company :-)
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Steak ? On a mountain top ? How dare you ? Count me in !!! Great report, have read your others too, glad to see you having fun , pity someone had a go at you on the hill. I`m interested to know what you used to cook them.
cheers , Tommy
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Hey Tommy! Thanks for the support 8) Yeah ...some people? Thankfully they are in the minority and the majority are just sensible hill walkers who just like having a bit of fun after a 'hard week at mill'. .The Bubba-Q? Dead essy .....the factor is the 'hot plate' or wheeltrim which you can pick up from most camping stores like Mountain Warehouse where I get mines. Its actually a grill attachment to a flat bed gas cooking stove? But any old hub cap would do? Just make sure it's not plastic lol. Then just some Bubba Q coals, some wood, some jet fuel fire fluid or a disposable BBQ ..fire it up and get them steaks sizzling :lol: I always make sure I've got some water to put out the coals properly for elf n safety reasons, pack it up and of you go to the next hill! Simples but very tasty with my favourite ales. Nothing better than munching a Reggae reggae steak wrap with crispy salad on a clear day at 3k . Pop over next time you see the smoke signals lol.
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Good to see the famous flag on the hills. Here it is on the munros above Loch Quoich.
20140914_153502 (640x480).jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Nice one Sunset :) Always good tae see Saltire flying high in the hills!
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:59 am

Aye Sunset ...it's always good when there is just enough breeze to straighten out the Saltire :D

Ben Cruachan Oct 2014

Ben Cruachan Saltire.jpg
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland