walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

. . . .

. . . .

Postby gazzmatron » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:53 am

Route description: Great Glen Way

Date walked: 25/06/2021

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

. . . .
Last edited by gazzmatron on Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazzmatron
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Great Glen Way: A late summer Xped (+ Loch Lochy Munros)

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Good to read another report about the GGW.

I know what you mean about the start but I quite enjoyed it with the track following the river, the long bridge next to the railway line and then having a look at the old boat you have a photo of.

There are a lot of wooded sections (although going by your photos, maybe less than a year and a half ago when I did it) but when there were gaps, some of the views down Loch Ness were brilliant.

The café in Abriachan woods is a must stop, they were building a house when I was there - is it finished???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby StevenF » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:26 am

Nice to see possible additions to long distance routes :-)

There are a lot of pictures that don't show btw
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby gazzmatron » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:30 am

Gordie12 wrote:The café in Abriachan woods is a must stop, they were building a house when I was there - is it finished???

Yes it was a very nice place. Such a lovely couple living the 'Good Life'!

They had made (presumably) quite a lot of progress, they were now living in their house and had a local water source and other facilities set up.
gazzmatron
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Dunni » Tue May 05, 2015 11:30 am

Hi
did the GGW 6 years ago, because I needed an easier Option in really crap weather. I started originally in Glenfinnan, walked over to Inverie and out to Kinlochhourn, doing all the munros on the way. My plan to continue over the Saddle to Glen Shiel was soon drenched in horrible rain. So I decided to hitchhike to Ft. Willi. GGW was a good way, to do something not too exciting in foul weather - although it changed for the better the next day ...
The Café in the forest used to belong to Rory, who owned the whole land but could´nd afford building a house. He was a strange but really nice chap. I had a 3 mugs of tea and shortbread (beware of the chickens!) for 3 Pd.
He was living in an road waggon. Sorry to hear, that he must have sold the place.
The shock, Walking into the City after 4 days was a bit disturbing for me as well. Some "cool" Kids made their fun of my Walking equipement.
The Loch Lochy Munros might not be the most beautiful hills around, but you did it and made sure, you don´t have to waste a sunny day on them . :lol:

cheers
Dunni
Scrambler

Munros:178   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes