walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros Six to Nine

Munros Six to Nine

Postby Chris Henshall » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Sgùrr Bàn

Date walked: 24/07/1975

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

24th. July, 1975:
Today was the penultimate day of a trek north from Killilan to Ullapool for me and a bunch of my school mates and, after spending two nights camped at Carnmore (and climbing A' Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor), we'd arrived to camp at Shenavall after a reasonably challenging crossing of the Abhainn Strath na Sealga on the previous afternoon. Today, despite a worsening in the weather, we were aiming to do the four Munros to the south.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had rained all night so re-crossing the burn (albeit a mile and a half upstream) involved some knee-deep wading but, after that, the day was an enjoyable battle against thick mist, driving rain and gusting winds as we traversed Beinn a' Chlaidheimh (now deemed to be no longer a Munro), Sgurr Ban, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair and Beinn Tarsuinn before heading back down Gleann na Muice in persistent drizzle to cross the river again, now rather higher. The only compensation was that those who had elected to stay in the bothy had a hot meal and a roaring fire ready for us when we came through the door.
There remained only the final day of the trip - a walk out to catch a 3.30.pm. ferry across Loch Broom to Ullapool - and I finished it footsore in hot sunshine with holes in the toes of both my boots. It had, nevertheless, been a brilliant first trip to the Highlands for me - ten days' walking, nine Munros and an enthusiasm that I knew would last a lifetime.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

One pic of of Sgorr Ruadh.jpg
A grainy photo of my first Munro - Sgorr Ruadh - taken early in the trip (18.07.1975)
Copy of Two pics of Sgorr Ruadh.jpg
Another view of Sgorr Ruadh but higher up the track from Achnashellach (18.07.1975)
Next report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77702
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland