walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter wild camp high above Glencoe: blue, white and green!

Winter wild camp high above Glencoe: blue, white and green!

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:43 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste, from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 28/12/2014

Time taken: 23 hours

41 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Winter Wild Camp High above Glencoe

This was an amazing experience and what a way to finish the year, a snowy summit camp high above Glencoe.

Film below tells the tale :)

The weather had been snowy and cold for a few days and a promise from the Met Office for High Pressure taking charge for a few days got me thinking about a winter wild camp. Having already camped on Chrulaiste in the Summer, I decided on this hill for that reason and also the fact that it has some of the best views in Scotland (IMO ).

I left home with most forecasts suggesting a high chance of cloud free summits (apart from one which predicted mist, which was playing on my mind!!!) and all forecasts saying it would be the coldest night of the year, with temperatures possibly down to -10!

Driving along the A85 rather late for an outing, I decided on parking at the Jacksonville car park (it was empty) and heading up the southern flanks of Chrulaiste, a few hundred metres west from the Pink Rib. This led steeply but quickly on the western flank and then a wee pull to the summit which I reached at 14.30. To say the views were amazing would be an understatement, I think I spent more time looking over my shoulder at the views than looking ahead (see video!). What a place!!

ImageBUACHAILE wh by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageDSC03842 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagesunshine by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Now to find a pitch. Ended up in exactly the same place as I used for the summer solstice wild camp- not a bad thing though as I had spectacular views to the Buachaille :D

Imageselfie WH by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageDSC03887 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagewelcome sun by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageDSC03892 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

There were a few other people on the summit at this late hour,( sunset was at 15.42) however the last hiker left about 15.30 and I had the mountain to myself…. As darkness fell I made an early tea, enjoying the delights of Chilli con Carni, a fine meal to warm the cockles

ImageDusk in Glencoe by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageCriese by mountains MJVW, on Flickr 

I then spent much of the evening out and about taking shot of the stars, some of which came out well, and others not so well.

Imagesnowy foot prints by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageOrion watches and laughs by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageNight life - Glencoe by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageDSC04010 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageStars and headtorches by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageNIGHT VIEW OF GLEN ETIVE by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageLooking to Orion on summit by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Then when taking some shots of the Mamores and The Ben I noticed a green horizon – the aurora borealis!! Just as I realised this a big bank of fog and cloud enveloped the summit for about 45 minutes – arrgghhhhhhh. So frustrating!! What was more frustrating was that when it cleared I was in such a rush to get some snaps that I didn’t realise there was a film of frost on the lens and that I had altered the setting on my camera !!!  The result is some blurry shots of what could have been a great photo.

ImageNorthern lights and tent by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageBenNevis Aurora by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imageblurry aurora by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Never mind, one day I’ll get god shots of the Northern Lights!!

I was surprised at how cosy I was on the summit as well , a testament to the gear, given the temperature and also the stiff breeze that picked up as the evening wore on. By 10.30 I was back in my warm sleeping bag and I drifted off to sleep. A few hours later I was up. Sunrise was at 08.48 and given it was only 06.30, there as no surprise that it was still pitch black!! A coffee brewed and breakfast enjoyed I ventured once again the short distance to the summit hoping for a sunrise. Unfortunately the fog banks that had been floating around the previous evening were still present and I didn’t get a sunrise. However to compensate, the cloud started to lower as the sun came up and the amazing views opened up.

ImageGlencoe Giants by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageContrast south face by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagepano2 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Crisp blue skies and white mountains dominated the horizon in all directions. It was hard to pull myself away!! However I eventually had to head home and back to family. I retraced my steps from the day before heading down the west side of the stream/cleft and got back to the car for 11 am. Although my bag was lighter than on the way up, I have come down with a lot more than I went up with……memories of a nice wee adventure…..

Imagepanorama 1 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImagebUACHAILLE WH by mountains MJVW, on Flickr
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Winter wild camp high above Glencoe: blue, white and gre

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:13 am

What a fantastic day and night you had...I am green with jealousy :D Well done for camping in the snow and what amazing photos you managed to get!! :clap: :clap: So cool that you saw a bit of the Aurora...never mind not managing photos...for me it would be all about seeing it :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby chrisprovan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:23 am

Unbelievable !! what a great set of photos. I tried hard to select one i thought was my favourite, perhaps the lit up tent against the moor, or the last shot of the buchaille. too tough to call as they are all stunning !

I was climbing up coire na tulaich between 0845-1045 so was on the mountain as you took that last shot.

Well done for camping up there in such cold weather !

Chris
chrisprovan
Stravaiging

Munros:62   Corbetts:17

Postby mgmt! » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:58 am

stunning photographs, are these taken by the go pro hero camera a few people use on here ? or do you take another camera for the shots ?
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Bonzo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:26 pm

Fantastic stuff!

I too would like to know what camera was used.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:33 pm

Mountainlove wrote:What a fantastic day and night you had...I am green with jealousy :D Well done for camping in the snow and what amazing photos you managed to get!! :clap: :clap: So cool that you saw a bit of the Aurora...never mind not managing photos...for me it would be all about seeing it :D

Thanks ML - It was a tad chilly and my feet were cold too - although I didn't bare them to the elements :)

ATB for 2015

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:34 pm

chrisprovan wrote:Unbelievable !! what a great set of photos. I tried hard to select one i thought was my favourite, perhaps the lit up tent against the moor, or the last shot of the buchaille. too tough to call as they are all stunning !

I was climbing up coire na tulaich between 0845-1045 so was on the mountain as you took that last shot.

Well done for camping up there in such cold weather !

Chris

Thanks Chris :D

ATB for the New Year

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:39 pm

mgmt! wrote:stunning photographs, are these taken by the go pro hero camera a few people use on here ? or do you take another camera for the shots ?

Hi Mgmt,
Thanks for the nice comment :)

The only photo with the Gopro was the selfie using the pole:) the rest of the stills are taking with a Sony HXV -9 or my new Sony Nex (all night shots with Nex ).

The video footage is a mx of all three cameras :)

hope that helps :)

ATB for 2015:)

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Bonzo wrote:Fantastic stuff!

I too would like to know what camera was used.

Thanks Bonzo

As above :D
wilkiemurray

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Outstanding, some exceptional pics & video there, well done you this just gave me the incentive needed to give a wild camp a go

Cheers

Geo
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Superb :thumbup: Beinn a'Chrulaiste is on the do list though I don't think I'll be braving it overnight in winter ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mgmt! » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:55 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:
mgmt! wrote:stunning photographs, are these taken by the go pro hero camera a few people use on here ? or do you take another camera for the shots ?

Hi Mgmt,

The only photo with the Gopro was the selfie using the pole:) the rest of the stills are taking with a Sony HXV -9 or my new Sony Nex (all night shots with Nex ).

Murray

thanks wilkiemurray, i can be nice too sometimes :shock: , i just dont seem to get the weather other folk get on here, my summit camps normally mean snapped tent poles and manic retreats. i just wondered if the gopro hero4 would be a one size fits all type thing ? but bear in mind i havent downloaded anything in my life and am not very good on computers. dont want to buy one if its too complicated to use ?
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:26 pm

mgmt! wrote:
wilkiemurray wrote:

Hi Mgmt,

Murray

thanks wilkiemurray, i can be nice too sometimes :shock: , i just dont seem to get the weather other folk get on here, my summit camps normally mean snapped tent poles and manic retreats. i just wondered if the gopro hero4 would be a one size fits all type thing ? but bear in mind i havent downloaded anything in my life and am not very good on computers. dont want to buy one if its too complicated to use ?

Not sure about the gopro 4 - I've got the 3rd edition. When I started with the videos it was an expensive buisness as I bought camera then found out my old PC couldn't handle the HD footage !!! Then had to save for new PC ! So I guess my advice would be to check your PC is upto the task of editing HD footage . Hope that makes sense

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Absolutely awesome, well done. :clap: :clap:
And the award for best photo goes to. ........ :lol:

What a great night. That's real incentive for the rest of us to get out and give it a go!

I like the 'tenty', it says so much more than a 'selfy'! :lol:

Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby hopper68 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:54 pm

What can i say, fantastic stuff. We done Stob a' Choire Odhair that day, we certainly got the weather. Your pictures through the night are simply stunning, thanks for sharing..
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

41 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland