walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buchaille, Stob Dearg- first report

Buchaille, Stob Dearg- first report

Postby chrisprovan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:25 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 29/12/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 750m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi

I thought I would start my first post by saying that for me the Buchaille is my favorite mountain in Scotland. My grandfather and his brother Ian set some of the first ascents climbing with Hamish McInnes back in the 50s and 60s and went on to become part of Glencoe mountain rescue back in the day. We talked recently about the technical standards of the climbing then versus now and he was surprised to hear that we use intermediates for protection. Apparently in their day they just started climbing and didnt use a thing until it was time to belay the second! So with my first hill 25 years ago being the Buchaille in summer, i thought it best to get back into it after a few years and give it a go.

Leaving Glasgow early I arrived at the Kinghouse Hotel for 0730hrs and kicked the tyres until breakfast was served at 0800hrs- coffee and porridge. I was at the layby by 0830hrs and off I went. I was determined to start first and get to the summit first as a test of fitness and after about 20 minutes started feeling pleased, only to eventually realise that the other people who had set off had veered over to climb curved or crowberry ridge. :roll:

I stopped to look back and admire the view as well as put on the crampons before the icy path started proper.

Having not been up here for a while i decided to keep as high to the right as possible and keep myself out of harms way in terms of rock fall, avalanche etc and continued up the hill. I was really enjoying myself although having to stop a lot more than I used to (36 old man :shock: )

Although there wasnt a huge amount of snow at the top of the corie I found myself planning ahead as much as possible thinking of escape routes and what ifs. I veered right a touch so I wasnt in the gully immediately before the beleach. As I climbed up through the snow, I cramped in one thigh, and then the other as I perched about 20 feet from the top. The cramp continued from the top all the way up the ridgeline to the summit. Then the calves. Fitness/water/minerals/all of it i assumed as I plodded on. The people who had started in Corrie Na Tulaich as I was half way up were still half way behind me so I wasnt doing too badly.

The weather was gin clear with only a little wind as I hit the summit, although the wind was picking up and spin drift was starting ever so slightly. It was great to be back and stand looking over glen etive, glencoe, blackwater and up to Ben Nevis !! I was revelling in the moment !!

I stayed for about 15 minutes then turned and headed back down to the corrie, which was now full of people. Mostly in pairs. I moved to the side of the corrie and dug into the snow to let the two guys come up. As they moved past me i heard ''rock below'' just as I took one to the knee. luckily there was no damage and i started off.

There was a noise behind me and a guy appeared bounding over the top and into the corrie on his heels through the snow. He had come up curved ridge and was heading down at a fair pace. He became my new hero !! this mysterious character diving down the corrie and off into the distance, as I front pointed backwards very cautiously. You learn i guess.

I made it down in slow time and realised that it will take time to get confidence back as it once was. After watching the sea king run an ex above the devils staircase I got to the car, headed to the chalchaig and had a burger and a coke by the fire.

What a great start to my rekindled love of the mountains !!!

B1 1.jpg
B2 2.jpg
B4 4.jpg
B5 5.jpg
B6 6.jpg
b7 7.jpg
B9 9.jpg
B10 10.jpg
B11 1.jpg
B12 1.jpg
B13 1.jpg
B14 1.jpg
B16 1.jpg
B20 1.jpg
B21 1.jpg
B25.jpg
chrisprovan
Stravaiging

Munros:62   Corbetts:17

Re: Buchaille, Stob Dearg- first report

Postby iainwatson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:23 pm

nice one chris,the big bookil is always a favourite in glencoe :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:22 pm

yup - a rather nice way to restart and an enjoyable first TR - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Weather + pics look great. Must've been good to emerge into sunshine at the top.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby chrisprovan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks guys. Was great to get out in such great weather ! Looking forward to ticking one off I haven't done next
chrisprovan
Stravaiging

Munros:62   Corbetts:17

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland