walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Vrackie Sunrise

Vrackie Sunrise

Postby tall-story » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:30 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 28/12/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9.3 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I always knew this would be a busy hill so I opted to leave it for a silly o` clock start to get some sunrise photos :wink: . So it was a 4am alarm ! Packed an ready to go by 4.45am, so that got me to Pitlochry and the car park at Moulin for 6am and an empty car park (for the time being anyway).
This was my first winter walk in the dark so I did hope that there wasn't too much snow higher up :shock: and also it was Juras first winter/dark/night walk so I was a wee bit concerned for the dog at least.
I actually quite like night/dark walks as you generally get a clear walk ahead with the local wildlife often still a bit sleepy, so you can see more than maybe later in the day. It was a fairly quick walk with no issues at all other than Jura being a bit too interested in a camper who had set up home at the end of Loch a`Choire as it turned out she was there for the same reason I was, Sunrise photos!
So on we went and it was time for the dreaded steps :( I know theses things save on erosion but I think they have to be the most awful things especially on the downward trip (my knee just disnae like them at all). Things were going well though and as it was soo early the ice on the steps was dry and crusty so not particularly slippy :) . After a few stops just to look at the views of the rapidly changing colours in the sky
02-P1040324.JPG
Early view to the East
04-P1040333.JPG
Easterly View
05-P1040336.JPG
;-)
it wasn`t long and we were at the top
03-P1040330.JPG
Summit plaque
and a quick look at the time and I realised that we were 45mins ish early for the sunrise (845am). So as it was far to cold to sit around off we went for a wee wander around the summit and out to the eastern end of the hill for some photos and a warm up.
06-P1040339.JPG
Early View of Vrackie
07-P1040345.JPG
Vrackie 2
Also to my surprise wee Jura seemed to be coping very well with the snow and ice :)
08-P1040356.JPG
Jura looking very proud ;-)
. Time wasn't long in passing and almost by surprise the sun started to appear :wink: and it was just superb, it would have been nicer with some cloud, but what do you do??
10-P1040371.JPG
sunrise 1
11-P1040373.JPG
sunrise 2

As the sun was rising there was a light snow shower passing over which imo added to the effect of the sunrise colours.
12-P1040377.JPG
sunrise 3 summit cairn
13-P1040383.JPG
sunrise 4 summit cairn
14-P1040392.JPG
summit 5
1-P1040393.JPG
sunrise 6
15-P1040397.JPG
Vrackie 2
16-P1040405.JPG
Small cornice and Vrackie summit
17-P1040407.JPG
One last look east ;-)
20-Beinn a` Ghlo from Ben Vrackie.JPG
Beinn a`Ghlo pano

After around a half hour or so it was time to go as I was bloomin freezing what with gloves on then off then on again for photos,
18-P1040413.JPG
Loch a` Choire on the way down
still it wasn't long when I was out of the wind and almost at the Loch again the gloves were off as I had warmed up well.
19-P1040419.JPG
Jura and Ben Vrackie

The walk back was fairly swift with one or two stops for photos and to chat walkers on there way up, some who were quite surprised that I had been to the top and on my way back by that time (which was around 9).
21-Tummel Valley from Vrackie path.JPG
View south on the way down the path off
I must have passed around 20 odd groups of walkers which was one of my reasons for doing this hill so early, just to avoid the crowds. When I got back to the car park it was full with what seemed like an overflow just down the road a bit being pretty full also. So if you cant be doing with crowds on the hills either go early or I guess later in the day and you should miss the worst of the hoards, a very popular hill :shock: That was that so onwards to Dunkeld for me to meet up with friends for a very welcome bowl of soup :)
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Vrackie Sunrise

Postby litljortindan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:44 pm

Looks like you got a great reward for the early start.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Beaner001 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am

Well done wee Jura, your early start has been rewarded here mate.
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:24 pm

A1 photographs, well worth the early start and exposure to the cold weather. Cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland