walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter sun on Ben More

Winter sun on Ben More

Postby Andy74G » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben More

Date walked: 29/12/2014

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Ascent: 1174m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ever since I'd seen WillkieMurray's walking report on WH I'd wanted to do Ben More as a winter walk and with the weather looking ok for the day I headed off. The drive there wasn't looking promising, as there was a lot of fog in the Glasgow area and around Loch Lomond but it did say it would be clearer above 400m. There were already a lot of cars on the verge when I arrived just before 08:45am and by 9am I was ready to go.
BM1.JPG
once on the track Ben More appeared from the morning mist
BM2.JPG
I took a steady pace up the steep slope, soon gaining height. The frozen paths being un-useable
BM3a.JPG
All the paths were frozen
BM3.JPG
As height was gained the view started to open out.
Once at the snow line the wind picked a wee bit, so although the snow wasn't deep my feet would slip sometimes so I put on my crampons on until I reached the summit.
BM4.JPG
several groups of walkers behind me
BM5.JPG
once off the steeper section the last few 100m's was an easy climb
BM6.JPG
BM7.JPG
Once on the summit the view's were breath taking in the morning sunshine
The wind had dropped on the summit and the views were brilliant for 360 degrees.
BM8.JPG
BM10.JPG
BM10a.JPG
BM10b.JPG
Now at this point it was 11:25am and I planned to Stob Binnein so I never spent ages at the top which in hindsight I wish I had. So off down the slope I headed
BM11.JPG
BM12.JPG
. Stopping to take pictures and enjoying the views had cost me some time and a walker that was behind me earlier was now half way up Stob Binnein , just a small black dot climbing what looked a bit off a slog, I had the time to do it, I knew I did but coming down towards the bealach I just didn't feel like it, I still regret not climbing it , maybe I'm still get used to the heavier winter boots and all the extra kit in the rucksack or simply my fitness needs to improve more to compensate for the extra weight. I don't have this problem in the summertime. :( By now it was lunchtime and having not decide this earlier I was now faced having my lunch behind a rock out of the wind as the wind was being funnelled between the 2 munro's , lunch at the top would have been much better.
BM12a.JPG
Following the WH route down was slow as the paths and surrounding area and grass was covered in thick ice
BM12b.JPG
BM13.JPG
looking back up from the farm track
Once on the track it was an easy walk out ,looking up I could still see groups of walkers coming off the summit of Stob Binnein and it was only 13:30pm which just made me a bit fed up that I a gave up early.....
BM14.JPG
the mist rolling back up as I neared the car
http://youtu.be/1wElZBcU_XU
Last edited by Andy74G on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Re: Winter sun on Ben More

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Maybe you didn't get the 2nd Munro done but that still looked like a brilliant climb with great visibility.

I've still to do Ben More & Stob Binnein, every report I read suggests the climb up Ben More is fairly relentless :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby chrisprovan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 pm

I'd say you didn't feel like it for a reason so best you headed down. Funny some days u stop for food and mince around then others it's up and down pronto.

Great read and photos !
chrisprovan
Stravaiging

Munros:62   Corbetts:17

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Excellent summit pics. Better to appreciate what you got than worry about the exra bit that might have been I'd say.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland