walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Binnein and Ben More from Inverlochlarig

Stob Binnein and Ben More from Inverlochlarig

Postby sneaks » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 04/01/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1834m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thought I'd have a wee solo blast up two fairly local (to Edinburgh) Munros that were in good winter condition and had an excellent enjoyable day out!

Turned up to the carpark for sunrise(ish) to find myself as the 4th car in, and luckily managed to set off as the 2nd on the hill. I quickly overtook the lone walker infront as I knew I wanted to get these two done before sunset. Luckily I did!

Crampons required for the descent off Stob Binnein and ascent of Ben More and then the reverse. Very icey underfoot.
Pockets of localised windslab have been gathering on the lee aspects along the ridge and on both hills however if you stay on the ridge line proper you'll be fine. A wee bit of whiteroom nav was required with the wind pushing clouds over me but I was rewarded with superb views all round in the excellent pockets of blue sky 8)

WH4.jpg

Looking north heading towards Binnein.
WH3.jpg

Looking south from Binnein.
WH1.jpg

Views to the west.
WH2.jpg

Views to the north from Ben More.
sneaks
Stravaiging

Munros:120   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland