walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach - Winter

An Teallach - Winter

by Alex Nail » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:10 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 29/12/2014

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1040m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: An Teallach - Winter

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:29 am

Stunning photographs of an incredible place. Nice one!
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:15 am

AWESOME pics and great report. Seems like they would be worth a torn tent!

BTW, what sleeping bag do you have? I'm wanting to get a 4 season, and I noticed you said you were warm in the tent when I guess the outside temperatures must have been around -8 C or so.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:49 am

Wow! :shock:

I've read this report three times and each time I've been blow away by your photographs :clap: :clap: :clap:

Must admit to being a wee bit scared for you guys- it looked rather steep on some of those descents- yikes!

Well done on producing such an enjoyable report- cheers!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alex Nail » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:41 am

Alteknacker wrote:BTW, what sleeping bag do you have? I'm wanting to get a 4 season, and I noticed you said you were warm in the tent when I guess the outside temperatures must have been around -8 C or so.

The outside temperatures were around -3. We measured 7 celsius down to 3 celsius when it got windy inside the tent. I used a Rab Neutrino endurance 600 XL and wore my down jacket and thermals too. The NeoAir Xtherm I used for the first time was also absolutely outstanding - much warmer than my previous Exped Synmat UL.
Anecdotally I have always found nights around +1 to +10 Celsius when camped in cloud With a 400 fill bag to be the coldest - you just can't escape the damp.
Alex Nail
Scrambler

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Stunning photos and great report of it all. The spindrift creates a great atmosphere. Happy you both got off the hill OK.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Torridon_snails » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Wow! Definitely agree with GraemeMac - these are amongst the best photos we've ever seen. Hats off to you for achieving something most of us can only really dream about, and thanks for sharing the amazing results. It allows us to experience a bit of that magic...

All the best,

Daniel and Clare (Torridon_snails)
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 am

Alex Nail wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:BTW, what sleeping bag do you have? I'm wanting to get a 4 season, and I noticed you said you were warm in the tent when I guess the outside temperatures must have been around -8 C or so.

The outside temperatures were around -3. We measured 7 celsius down to 3 celsius when it got windy inside the tent. I used a Rab Neutrino endurance 600 XL and wore my down jacket and thermals too. The NeoAir Xtherm I used for the first time was also absolutely outstanding - much warmer than my previous Exped Synmat UL.
Anecdotally I have always found nights around +1 to +10 Celsius when camped in cloud With a 400 fill bag to be the coldest - you just can't escape the damp.

Thanks a million for the inf. I really appreciate it. :) :) :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby KeithS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:16 pm

I really enjoyed this report. Your pictures are remarkable. Congratulations on a stunning day on one of my favourite mountains.

I have climbed Sgurr Fiona a couple of times but am not brave enough to tackle it under those conditions.

I realize that I was actually looking at An Teallach through my telescope from the comfort of my living room whilst you were on it, thinking how beautiful it was, but not for me in that weather. I didn't notice you! The coldest thing about my day was the beer I was enjoying from the fridge. :lol:

Well done on a great day expedition.

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby onsen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Wonderful pics.....and the video provides a taste of how nasty it can be in the mountains.
Good stuff.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:11 pm

Awesome report and the pics are beyond words...... jelous much :wink:
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alex Nail » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 pm

KeithS wrote:I really enjoyed this report. Your pictures are remarkable. Congratulations on a stunning day on one of my favourite mountains.

I have climbed Sgurr Fiona a couple of times but am not brave enough to tackle it under those conditions.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Actually I think it might well have been easier doing the steepest gradients in the snow simply because it evened out the scree slopes and made the ground more consistent. The problem was just the dramatic change in conditions which made a perfect mountain day a little bit more dangerous than I would have liked. It just shows how much slimmer the margins for error are in the winter.
Alex Nail
Scrambler

Postby MusicalHiker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Got all shivery looking at those amazing pics!! I'll never be a winter hiker but I do love looking at photos and dreaming...
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Postby trederdog 100 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Beautiful photo's, thanks for sharing. Really inspiring to get up to that corner of the country. An Tellach looks like a mighty beast! Good job your camera didn't freeze up!
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Postby John Batchelor » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:42 pm

I watched this and felt so enveyous, great pictures.
John Batchelor
Mountaineer

39 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland