walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter Sunset on Ben Ime

Winter Sunset on Ben Ime

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:37 am

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 04/01/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Under Construction ..still to be edited :-)

Checked the weather report for Boot Camp and it was looking good! Clear, dry and sunny all day :D

So grabbed my sticks, steaks and sack and set off for Boot Camp via the Oban West Coast flyer 8.30am from Glasgow.

23.jpg

Got down to Succoth car park at 9.45am. Grabbed my sack out the bus luggage hold, crossed the busy road with care and set off up the track headed for Bealich a Maim from were I'd decide which hill if any I was going to do today.

1.jpg

It was just good to be out early in the fresh air and walking up the glen.

35.jpg

The car park was already quite busy and it looked as if a lot of walkers had seen the excellent weather report as well and had set off even earlier than me.

Took the usual selfies of the day and just meandered up the track with no real objective in mind.

4.jpg

Had a few words with some fellow walkhighland trekkers... Kevin and Tom who were heading for the Cobbler.

Just after the Narnain Boulders I took a sharp right and decided to explore the eastern slopes of Ben Narnain for a while.

slopes of narnain.jpg

6.jpg

The rock face rises up above the glen like some huge castle edifice and I was looking for a way to get to the top of Narnain via this route.

7.jpg

The icy rock walls formed an impregnable barrier and I decided since I didn't have any rope or crampons ..I'd leave it for another day.

I was just enjoying the freedom to explore the glen and the sunshine and views over to The Cobbler and down to Gairloch.

A surprise call from Sam came through on the blower. I told him I was half way up Narnain already and not wanting to miss the fun he jumped in his car and headed for Boot Camp rapid style :-)

We arranged to meet at base camp , Beallich a Maim at the foot of The Cobbler at 2pm giving me enough time to finish my exploring around the slopes of Narnain.

8.jpg

Whilst waiting for him at the rendezvous point I bumped into another two friends David and Catrina who had just come off The Cobbler and were heading for Oban. Small world indeed :)

As we were chatting we were spooked by a huge herd of red deer who suddenly came charging off the slopes of Narnain headed straight up the slopes of the Cobbler and glided and sprang effortlessly across the uneven rocky terrain right across the Cobbler path startling a few of the walkers coming off the hill.

I had seen this display a few weeks previously whilst coming off Narnain and it's always amazing to watch how these magnificent animals can move at such speeds across such uneven ground :shock:

Sam eventually arrived and we set off up Ben Ime since he hadn't been there before.

9.jpg

It was rather late in the afternoon and I knew we probably wouldn't make it all the way to the top, but decided to give it a go because the views and the sunset are always spectacular from Ime at this time of year.

10.jpg

Sam was having fun getting used to walking in the snow and we ploughed up the hill to within 200 meters of the summit before deciding wisely that we should call it a day at that point and come off the hill safely before it got too dark to see.

11.jpg

42rock.jpg

46bubrockime.jpg

12.jpg

So we enjoyed a few moments.. just taking selfies and watching the sun sink below the horizon to be replaced by the moon coming up from the other side. :o

13.jpg

Got some beers in whilst watching the sun go done.

39drinks.jpg

14.jpg

Satisfied we had seen the best of the day we headed back down the slope to the Bealaich in the fading light.

15.jpg

Got the head torches out and we had a fun descent back down the icy path to the car park.

17.jpg

It was a cloudless evening and the moon lit up our path off the mountain for most of the way without the need for the head torches.

nightface.jpg

We could see the lights of Arrochar twinkling below us as we descended with the reflection in the loch which was as still as a mill pond.

nightface2.jpg

Sam who is into a bit of stargazing pointed out numerous satellites which wiz round the earth at high speed and most of us don't even know they are up there.... plain to see on a cloudless night like it was.

It was amazing to see them streaking across the night sky whilst standing on a hill side with the snowy Cobbler lit up by the moon and the sound of the Alt a Bhalachain rushing over the rocks below us.

It was just one of those special evenings to be out on the hills where the weather was just perfect.

Another micro adventure at Bubbas Boot Camp down and dusted as we headed on back to Glasgow.
Last edited by Bubba Ribeye on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

Re: Winter Sunset on Ben Ime

Postby Kevin29035 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Good to meet you on the track yesterday! We watched you climb higher and higher on the flank of Narnain then lost sight after a while. Cobbler was great.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi Kevin :-)

Great to meet you and Tony and take some 'selfies'.

As you can see from the report I ended up on Ben Ime till sundown once my friend Sam had caught up :-)

Hope to meet you guys again soon and doing some more trekking.

I'll have a look at some of your reports ....don't know if you've seen any of my other walk reports but it's all about beers, bens and Bubba -Qs with me. :lol:
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby Kevin29035 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Bubba Ribeye wrote:Hi Kevin :-)

Great to meet you and Tony and take some 'selfies'.

As you can see from the report I ended up on Ben Ime till sundown once my friend Sam had caught up :-)

Hope to meet you guys again soon and doing some more trekking.

I'll have a look at some of your reports ....don't know if you've seen any of my other walk reports but it's all about beers, bens and Bubba -Qs with me. :lol:

Bubba Q's lmao that's awesome. Incidentally Tom (close!) was loving the sound of a bbq. Me too. Like your style :) I havent got many walk reports on WalkHighlands - just the one for a bit of fun, though I got bit more going on on my website that Tom mentioned (kevinwoods.co.uk). Really gotta get that thing up to date tho..!

Count me in for a bbq :lol:
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Cobbler Steakfest.jpg

This was one of my favourite Bubba-Qs cooked on top of the Cobbler Needle where you were on Saturday looking over to where I was on Saturday Ben Narnain :-)

toffeesteakcobblerdrop.jpg

Mind the Gap though :-)

Needle boots n BBQ excellent.jpg
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:39 am

Now there's a thought for a different angle on Munro bagging -- a BBQ on each summit! Nice report thanks.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks 2 many yorkies :-) I've done steak on all the Arrochars including your favourite and mine Ben Insane (Ben Vane), Ben Lomond and Ben Nevis.

Winter Bubba-Qs are my favourite when you get the contrast of steak and snow :-)
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm really going to have to try that soon! Cheers for the inspiration!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Cool report. A bit "different" to the norm! :lol: And nice scarf and hat BTW! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Hey :-) Thanks Graham D ...that was my best 'jaggy bunnet' made up of 'firebrand snood' on top of a 'thermal skull cap' :-)

Normally I'm better dressed for the weather ...as you'll see from my other reports :lol:

Ye cannae wack 'a tartan Bubba-Q' at 4k as on Ben Nevis report from 7 June 2014 'Good Visibility on Ben Nevis' :lol:

Ben Nevis Summit Bubba Excell.jpg

Tartan and bubba-Qs ...new trend in 'munro bagging' methinks ...the way forward for 2015 in the hills and glens. 8)
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland