walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee six

Glenshee six

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 28/07/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 25.8 km

Ascent: 1303m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glas Maol 6.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The forecast for the day was glorious weather, blue skies, great views. And my camera didn’t work. Pretty miffed.
I left the car in the small car park to the east of the A93 at NO148800. Crossed the river by the bridge and then followed the path gently up hill. Luckily it was pretty dry under foot. Once the Allt a’ Gharbh-coire has branched off to the left the ascent becomes a bit steeper and rougher, but still dry.

The munro-bible describes a route leading ‘round below the north side of Carn an Tuirc to avoid the unpleasant bouldery slopes of the north west face’. But I spotted a path contouring the north west slopes which looked more appealing and that’s where I went. Of course the path fizzled out and I was left to find my way up the bouldery slope, but it was fun! I had a good look around on the summit. The views were great. If only my memory was photographic and I could connect it to my computer with a USB cable….

From the summit of Carn an Tuirc I headed for a big rock near the bealach, where I stopped for a snack. The cliffs of Coire Loch Kander were just visible and looking very impressive. So I made a short detour to the head of the corrie and had a peek down to Loch Kander. Lovely.

Back to the bealach, following the track SE towards Carn of Claise. Then leaving the track when I spotted the wall that leads to the summit. The views were far and wide and the surrounding hills were easily identified. Apart from the two that were up next. Tolmount and Tom Buidhe were hiding! :-? It took a compass bearing to find their alleged position. But even then I wasn’t convinced that the plateau lower down held any munros.

I decided to just start walking and then hopefully they would reveal themselves. Only when I was nearing the bealach the two looked a bit more like hills. There was a good distance of peat bog to be dealt with. The momentum gained by walking downhill helped to jump over the worst bits.

I went for Tolmount first. Once across the bealach I picked up a path which swiftly led to the summit. There were the Loch Muick munros, Mayar, Driesh. And of course the pimple that is Tom Buidhe.

I descended south, crossed the stream and then picked up a path to the summit of Tom Buidhe.
I was quite surprised that there was a path all the way from Tom Buidhe over Ca Whims back to Carn of Claise. This and the gentle slope both ways made the whole diversion to include the two hills a pretty quick affair: 2 hours.

Onwards to Glas Maol. The plateau with giant chunks bitten away on both sides of the ridge made for an easy walk. Caenlochan Glen looked very impressive. Where the path meets the Monega Road I went straight ahead, as the track would contour Glas Maol. This could be confusing in mist. The terrain underfoot provided easy, although perhaps not very exciting, walking ground: no bog, no rough tussocky grass, no rocks. My legs strangely enough started to feel it.
From the summit there were more good views of Caenlochan Glen and of course Creag Leacach, which promised to yield a good ridge walk.

My legs miraculously refound their strength as soon as the ascent of Creag Leacach started. The walk uphill with all the boulders and rocks and the steep craggy drop on the left of the ridge was good fun. I had an extended break on the summit. It is a great viewpoint with the Cairnwell munros to the west , Mayar and Driesh to the east. But also just looking at the scree slopes of this hill was a lust for the eye. Whilst I wanted to sit here and watch the views forever, that wouldn’t be very practical. I took some more time to debate the descent route (and to marvel at the views). Down Meall Gorm and along the A93 or back up Glas Maol and down Meall Odhar? I changed my mind several times (in the mean time enjoying the views). :D In the end I went for the Glas Maol option, to save my feet from walking on hard tarmac.

The descent was as fun as the ascent and done in a jiffy. Then an easy walk back up Glas Maol. To my surprise a path went off in zig zags to Meall Odhar. Mind you it was very steep and gravelly, but nonetheless a path. I then walked down Meall Odhar’s north ridge, along the ski slopes. The Allt Coire Fionn was easily crossed and from there, there was an intermittent path on the heather clad slopes. A nice modern bridge got me over the river a second time and back to the car park.
My feet were very pleased with the route choice for the return leg!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Glenshee six

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:21 am

A fine high level walk on my local hills :clap: :clap: such a shame you had no camera, hope you got a new one from Santa. In the main nice underfoot conditions which make for a reasonable distance being covered in a short time, but as you say Tolmount and Tom Buidhe very little ascent :D Did you see the wee stone shelter when you were on your way to Creag Leacach? (on the East side of the stone wall)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:59 pm

That was a long walk you did - even in summer. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi Silverhill

Not a lot of climbing involved with these hills but always a nice day out.

There's a decent outline of a path between Cairn of Claise and Tom Buidhe but it took me half a dozen visits to the area to find it (saves going through the boggy bit).

I try to do Carn an Tuirc - Cairn of Claisie - Tom Buidhe - Tolmount - Cairn Bannoch - Carn ant Sagairt Mor in a circular starting and finishing at Auchallater early each year - always a good indicator of how well (or how badly) I have wintered.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:A fine high level walk on my local hills :clap: :clap: such a shame you had no camera, hope you got a new one from Santa. In the main nice underfoot conditions which make for a reasonable distance being covered in a short time, but as you say Tolmount and Tom Buidhe very little ascent :D Did you see the wee stone shelter when you were on your way to Creag Leacach? (on the East side of the stone wall)

Thanks Rod! :D Yes, santa did bring a new camera and I have made a dry bag for it. :D
I missed the stone shelter on the way to Creag Leacach. At some point I switched to the west side of the wall, as the going seemed less stony there (but wasn't).

dogplodder wrote:That was a long walk you did - even in summer. :D

Thanks dogplodder! :D Once you’re high it is almost freewheeling, as the height differences between the summits are not that big. A long, but easy walk!

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Silverhill
Not a lot of climbing involved with these hills but always a nice day out.
There's a decent outline of a path between Cairn of Claise and Tom Buidhe but it took me half a dozen visits to the area to find it (saves going through the boggy bit).
I try to do Carn an Tuirc - Cairn of Claisie - Tom Buidhe - Tolmount - Cairn Bannoch - Carn ant Sagairt Mor in a circular starting and finishing at Auchallater early each year - always a good indicator of how well (or how badly) I have wintered.

Thanks Gordie12! :D Yes, when I got to the bealach just before Tom Buidhe this path suddenly appeared out of nowhere! :roll: The round you mention sounds good. I hope you get a nice day for it soon. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland