walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blown off Beinn Ghlas

Blown off Beinn Ghlas

Postby AlexFrood » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas

Date walked: 02/01/2015

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Ghlas is Gealic for the grey-green hill. It definitely was as we spent most of the January 2nd looking at it on our hands and knees thought are orange tinted goggles. Windy was an understatement

This morning was the same as others on this winter trip I awoke in my van with one of my walking friends, it was nice to only have one other person in the van unlike the 5 people we had sleeping in it at new year. whilst my other friend was in his van parked next to mine.

We had a later start than normal and headed up the path from the Ben Lawers car park towards Beinn Ghlas. we only planned to do Beinn Ghlas and maybe Ben Lawers if the wind wasn’t to strong.

Turns out it was.

The walk up to the ridge was pretty sheltered and even seemed like it was going to be nice on top but we kept coming across people coming back.

When we hit the ridge it was pretty windy but nothing to bad, but after about 400 meter on the ridge we were getting flatted by the wind.

If it hadn’t off been such a broad ridge we would of turned around and headed back, but as there was no real risk of being literally blown off the mountain we carried on, however we did give ourselfs a cut off time to reach the summit.

The final half km to the summit was a mix of crawling on all fours and hiding behind the little cover there was. as well and sprinting as fast of we could in the few seconds when there was no wind.

The winds had fun beating us up and our kits. breaking one of my pole tips and a gaiter ( top image )

We finally made the summit where the winds has almost died. From there we had a quick break before heading to the Bealach of Beinn Ghlas and Meall Corranaich. We where treated to a great looking sunset coming down the hill.

I hope you have enjoy this wee trip report. There are far more to come this winter season from me.

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:69   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Blown off Beinn Ghlas

Postby simon-b » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:14 pm

That sounded like a real battle, Alex. Well done for getting to the top of Beinn Ghlas. It's no surprise you didn't try carrying on to Ben Lawers. I wouldn't have fancied that little road up from Loch Tay in those conditions either; you must have faith in your van!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby sonic » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:22 pm

That looked very wild mate, amazing the difference between the Friday and Saturday walk reports :shock:
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby Mantog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:47 pm

Great pictures!
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Great pictures which really capture the windy conditions. 8) Requires some guts to go out in weather like that!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Captures the 'insanity' of it all. Bet it was liberating.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Atmospheric pics there - and sounds like that was hard work! :shock:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby AlexFrood » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks for the comments, it was an entertaining on the day. it was a lot of fun capturing the day as well, made think as an photographer.
AlexFrood
Stravaiging

Munros:69   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:45 pm

As much as I wouldn't want to have been in your shoes you photos are amazing and really capture the essence of the day.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland