walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No Muicking about: halfway!

No Muicking about: halfway!

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 29/07/2014

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 27.9 km

Ascent: 1228m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lochnagar 5.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another glorious day forecast! Blue skies and great views! And still no working camera…. But at least I would be achieving my next milestone, the halfway mark, in much better weather than the previous milestone. So really should not grumble.
It was already pretty busy in the Glen Muick car park when I set off, but most folk were heading across the river. My route was a clockwise circuit of the Loch Muick munros. From the map it all looked very tasty, so it would be a good walk for a memorable hill. :D

Walking along the track thoughts turned back to the beginning of this munro adventure. When I set off for Ben Lomond 4 years ago I had no idea that the innocent walk would turn into hill fever. The bug struck fast and mercilessly, before I had even arrived on the cloudy summit. And after 136 munros the excitement still hadn’t worn off. I hoped it never would.

My musings were interrupted by a land rover approaching on the track. I stepped aside and stuck my hand up to the driver, as one does to acknowledge their moving to the side and slowing down. The driver was a familiar and regal looking young man. Had I just waved to prince William?

The walk along the loch side was wonderful. The dark blue water, the steep slopes holding the loch and hiding the hills. After a short snack break at the bridge I made quick work of the steep ascent onto the moor. Once up it was easy walking along the track. On the way I spotted a funny wall on the left, no more than 1 meter tall and 2 meters long, with turf on top. I loved the big empty open space. Bleak and beautiful. Another short snack break at the shed with the bench outside. It is not often that you get presented with seating like this in the hills!

The ascent of Broad Cairn was bouldery and fun. It was very windy now and with the summit cairn providing little shelter I thought it was best to keep moving. The views back to Loch Muick were great. But the real eye catcher were the dramatic crags of Creag an Dubh-loch, plunging down to Dubh Loch. The walk onwards to Cairn Bannoch did not involve much in the way of descent and ascent, very easy going.

The summit of Cairn Bannoch is on top of a small tor. The wind hadn’t abated and I was glad there were some biggish rocks to hide behind. Here I met another walker. He was on a hiking trip with an impressive 24kg weighing rucksack. We had a good natter whilst marveling at the views and enjoying the warmth of the sun out of the wind. After chatting for a while we said our goodbyes as I had a few more hills to get on with and he still had a fair bit of walking to do for the day.

Yet more gentle slopes to Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, getting a tiny bit steeper once past the base-contouring path. Just before the first summit I met a walking duo. They had a brisk pace going so we just exchanged cheery hellos. Not sure which of the two summits was the higher one, I also walked to the next, which had the benefit of better views towards Loch Callatar. Looking to the east got me wondering where the next munro was hiding. The bealach below the Stuic seemed higher than the lump to the south of it. :?
Down to the contouring path with magnificent views over Dubh Loch, and onwards to Carn a Choire Bhoidheach. Despite this being quite sheltered I could feel that the wind had picked up.

Surely, once on the bealach the munro was there. It took no more than 5 minutes to get to it. Which was good, as the Stuic was luring me. So far the trip had been pretty rewarding with good views, but the Stuic topped everything. Those spectacular cliffs and Loch nan Eun nesting below, wow! :D Sitting behind a boulder out of the wind with that view, was just the best place on earth. No one else around, just me and the views. Perfect. :D After a while it got a bit nippy and that was the cue to start moving again.

It was swift walk across the plateau and up towards Lochnagar. There was a coming and going of people, very busy. It was great walking along the impressive cliffs to Cac Carn Beag and then a nice little scramble to get on top of the tor. Wonderful 360 degree views! Terrific cliffs! The space! Wow wow wow! :D Bowled over by the scenery, I almost forgot that this was my 141th munro….
I didn’t hang about for long. It was getting quite crowded on the summit. I’d had the Stuic all to myself, so was happy enough.

Theme for the day had been the wind and even on the descent it was very strong. Lower down whilst marveling at the cliffs, there was a mini-whirl wind which managed to get hold of my map case. Away it flew, and with it the copy of the map. Gone! Hm, must remember to take a back-up map with me for the next walk. Luckily visibility was good and plenty of people were going in the same direction as me. The path down from Lochnagar to the bealach with Meikle Pap is amazing. It was like walking on a pavement, on those huge flat boulders. Lower down I passed a group of climbers and had a chat with two of them. They had climbed up from the lochan. It sounded brilliant and is something which is on my ever growing list of adventures to undertake.

At the ford a splash of cold water from the Allt-na-giubhsaich provided a bit of relief for my windburnt face and then it was a pleasant walk through the woods back to the car. I must return to Lochnagar, what a beautiful hill! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: No Muicking about: halfway!

Postby larry groo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Good stuff.

It is indeed a fine walk. Right on my doorstep, kinda.

Shame about the map & case though!

:clap:
larry groo

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Congrats on the halfway mark Silverhill :clap: :clap:
You picked a lovely hill for that landmark, I love Lochnagar :D
Did you see the plane wreckage on Carn an t-Sagairt Mor?
All the best
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 pm

larry groo wrote:Good stuff.
It is indeed a fine walk. Right on my doorstep, kinda. Shame about the map & case though!
:clap:

Thanks larry groo! :D You’re very lucky to have this on your doorstep! 8)
Although the chance is small, I hope someone found the map case and is now using it. Better than it littering the hillside. :(

Beaner001 wrote:Congrats on the halfway mark Silverhill :clap: :clap:
You picked a lovely hill for that landmark, I love Lochnagar :D
Did you see the plane wreckage on Carn an t-Sagairt Mor?
All the best

Thanks Beaner001! :D I was very pleased that Lochnagar turned out to be number 141. All thanks to a thunderstorm a few days earlier, which meant I didn’t do Carn Aosda! I don’t tend to plan the milestone munros, apart from the last one. :wink:
I didn’t know there was a plane wreckage. But when I was writing my reports I was looking at pictures in other people’s TRs (as I didn’t have any), and read about the wreckage. Not sure how I missed it! :roll:
Silverhill

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Nice One Silverhill! This route has been something I have wanted to do for a very long time, only I would tackle it from Glen Doll in Angus, walk up to Broadcairn my most climbed Munro then follow in your footsteps to Loch Muick then head for the East side track which takes me up and over the Capel Mounth back to Glen Doll. Will pick a good weather day in June/July with plenty of daylight as I will need it as it will take between nine to ten hours. Congatulations on hitting the halfway mark, on the home run now :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Congratulations on reaching the halfway mark :clap:

I remember reaching my 200th Munro probably around the time you started, the hill fever was rampant! Other interests, repeats, injury and study have slowed me down. I hope you keep up the pace and reach your goal.

Nice walk the Lochnagar 5. Did the route in reverse one winter, was wild :)

I see you're of the female species...hopefully not as mad as Mountain Love and Mountain Thyme :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Nice One Silverhill! This route has been something I have wanted to do for a very long time, only I would tackle it from Glen Doll in Angus, walk up to Broadcairn my most climbed Munro then follow in your footsteps to Loch Muick then head for the East side track which takes me up and over the Capel Mounth back to Glen Doll. Will pick a good weather day in June/July with plenty of daylight as I will need it as it will take between nine to ten hours. Congatulations on hitting the halfway mark, on the home run now :D

Thank you Rod! A nice and long home run! :D
I look forward to reading the report of your trip. It sounds great! That stretch of moorland between Loch Muick and Glen Doll, looked beautiful from where I was walking. :D

dooterbang wrote:Congratulations on reaching the halfway mark :clap:
I remember reaching my 200th Munro probably around the time you started, the hill fever was rampant! Other interests, repeats, injury and study have slowed me down. I hope you keep up the pace and reach your goal.
Nice walk the Lochnagar 5. Did the route in reverse one winter, was wild :)
I see you're of the female species...hopefully not as mad as Mountain Love and Mountain Thyme :lol:

Thanks dooterbang! :D The best remedy for hill fever is to bag more hills and there is nothing wrong with being mad :wink: It would be good to see you back on the hills!
Silverhill

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:38 pm

This is a route I've often thought about but never done - sounds good.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Gordie12 wrote:This is a route I've often thought about but never done - sounds good.

Fancy doing it from Glen Doll, Gordie?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Gordie12 wrote:This is a route I've often thought about but never done - sounds good.

Thanks Gordie12! :D Once you’re high up it is all easy going, well worth a try!
The Rodmiester wrote:Fancy doing it from Glen Doll, Gordie?

And you’ve now got an invite from Rod! :D
Silverhill

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Silverhill wrote:

Thanks Gordie12! :D Once you’re high up it is all easy going, well worth a try!
The Rodmiester wrote:Fancy doing it from Glen Doll, Gordie?

And you’ve now got an invite from Rod! :D

And why don't you join us as well Silverhill it's an open invite :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:54 pm

I enjoyed that, thanks :clap: We did these in the opposite direction from you many years ago - well about 10 to be exact, its a smashing route, but I didn't notice the plane wreckage either :shock:

Congratulations on getting halfway - its a great feeling!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:31 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:And why don't you join us as well Silverhill it's an open invite :D

Thanks for the invite Rod! :D I’d say, go ahead and plan it with Gordie12. My time in the Highlands is quite limited every year, and I wouldn’t want you to forego a good weather day! If I’m in the area I might join you. :D

Huff_n_Puff wrote:I enjoyed that, thanks :clap: We did these in the opposite direction from you many years ago - well about 10 to be exact, its a smashing route, but I didn't notice the plane wreckage either :shock: Congratulations on getting halfway - its a great feeling!

Thanks Huff_n_Puff! :D It is a great feeling, especially since I never set out to do them all when I started.
Silverhill

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:22 am

well done on getting halfway :clap: and a nice round on which to do it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland