walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Doubler from Loch an Daimh

Doubler from Loch an Daimh

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 03/01/2015

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 1400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My wife and I managed a walk round Loch Muick on Xmas Eve with the dogs but since then I had done nothing of note. This needed rectified and my mate Craig had been just as inactive as me so was keen on a trip. We decided on these two Munros as we felt we’d struggle with fitness, these were not long walks, not much ascent - starting at around 400m and if we really were feeling bad we could call it a day at one Munro. The hardest task it seemed was getting to the start at Lochan Daimh in one piece. The roads were like glass and even with my 4x4 and taking it well easy we nearly skidded off the road a couple of times. Therefore a slow drive got us to the start at 9.30am.

We chose Stuchd an Lochain first as we felt it be the harder of the two.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A gentle walk led to the landrover track which runs to the south of Lochan Daimh to a wee cairn where we branched off to start the climb up the hill.
photo 5.JPG
Cairn marking start of ascent up Stuchd an Lochain

The path was icy as water had obviously run down it and frozen overnight. This would be a nightmare on the descent. Soon we were in the snow and the going got tougher and slower. The dogs were in their element shooting on ahead and returning to check we were ok, the responsible pets they are.
photo 6.JPG
Looking back at Craig and Loch an Daimh

photo 7.JPG
And again

photo 8.JPG
Happy dogs

We eventually reached the fence posts which we followed up round Coire an Duich and over to Sron Chona Choirein.
photo 9.JPG
Ben Nevis in the distance

photo 10.JPG
Following fence posts

photo 11.JPG
Following fence posts

photo 12.JPG
First sight of Stuchd an Lochain

I caught up with two guys from Perth here and we spoke while walking. They rested at the foot of Stuchd an Lochain and I pressed on with the dogs while Craig followed on. I reached the summit to great visibility; I could see and identify all surrounding Mountains. What a sight, Scotland in all its glory. We stayed on the summit for 30 mins taking photos and drinking hot juice.
photo 13.JPG
Lawers range

photo 14.JPG
Me on summit with Lochy and Roy

photo 16.JPG
Looking to Rannoch Moor and Glencoe

photo 17.JPG
Right to left, Glencoe, Nevis Range and Aonachs

photo 18.JPG
Nevis Range

photo 19.JPG
Glencoe

photo 20.JPG
Loch Lyon

The two guys from Perth appeared and we briefly spoke again before saying our goodbyes and heading off down the hill, we still had another one to do. We retraced our steps all the way back to the car, we had a few bum slides in places where the snow was hard enough. We reached the car 3 hours and 30 mins after setting off.

From the same spot we set off for Meall Buidhe.
photo 21.JPG
Start of ascent up Meall Buidhe

photo 22.JPG
Craig Leading on this hill

It seemed the busier of the two as once off the landrover track which runs North of Lochan Daimh and into the snow line there were many more footprints in the snow. We spoke to a lone walker, then a family of 4, the two small children had done really well in the conditions and in front we could see a couple and their two dogs. The ascent up to Meall a’Phuill was a slog; we were really feeling the added effort needed when walking in the snow now.
photo 23.JPG
Summit ridge Meall Buidhe

Once up here we were hit with the stinging wind, I quickly put on my balaclava (one of the best purchases I’ve made in terms of winter gear). I caught the couple and their 2 x collie dogs at the summit of Meall Buidhe and they shared a dram of Highland Park with us. The views were just as spectacular but the time was wearing on so we set off quickly to get out of the wind.
photo 24.JPG
Dogs on freezing summit Meall Buidhe

My phone switched off with the cold on the summit so I was unable to take any pics of the magnificent sun set we experienced on the way down, however Craig took a couple so I have used them to show the wonderful colours of the sky. Again this hill was a return down the same way we ascended.
photo 1.JPG
Loch an Daimh sunset

photo 2.JPG
Loch an Daimh sunset

photo 3.JPG
Loch an Daimh sunset

photo 4.JPG
Summit plateau Meall Buidhe

We got back to the car in just under 3 hours. Weather wise we were really fortunate and the views from these two central Munros were fabulous. I noticed there are a few Corbetts in the vicinity so I will be back.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Doubler from Loch an Daimh

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Yeah, I could just tell the sunset was going to be great that day - missed the majority of the colours from where we were - one good reason to stay late on a hill :D
They're a good pair those two - be even better to do the circular walk around the loch and join them up, but I didn't manage that despite having aspirations of that nature
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Did Meall Bhuidhe at midnight last Summer , that's a grand sunset :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:29 am

weaselmaster wrote:Yeah, I could just tell the sunset was going to be great that day - missed the majority of the colours from where we were - one good reason to stay late on a hill :D
They're a good pair those two - be even better to do the circular walk around the loch and join them up, but I didn't manage that despite having aspirations of that nature

We were extremely lucky, we were just trying to hold on long enough for the sun to dip out of sight but still leave the orange glow but didn't time it exactly right. I agree, we found them very enjoyable hills - probably due to the conditions, however they gave excellent views all around. I'd never even thought of a circular, I really need to work on the route finding :lol:
Cheers

Collaciotach wrote:Did Meall Bhuidhe at midnight last Summer , that's a grand sunset :clap: :clap:

I'm trying to keep an eye out for a hill to do the same on for the summer solstice this year (weather permitting), I realise these two may have been a good bet now due to the views they offer. I imagine i'll end up choosing a nearby Corbett though as it's a Sunday this year so would have to take a half day from work :(
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby martin.h » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 am

Great report and brill piccy's as usual Matthew, looks like you were blessed with the weather.
We are thinking of these two when we come up in April and maybe do the circular as weaselmaster suggests, how long would you say it would take to drive from Perth to the start of this?
Happy New Year to you both, hope to meet up with you in 2015, we've got a few trips sorted.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:13 pm

martin.h wrote:Great report and brill piccy's as usual Matthew, looks like you were blessed with the weather.
We are thinking of these two when we come up in April and maybe do the circular as weaselmaster suggests, how long would you say it would take to drive from Perth to the start of this?
Happy New Year to you both, hope to meet up with you in 2015, we've got a few trips sorted.

Cheers Marts, we lucked out with weather, it was stunning. The circular will be a nice route, sure there is a Corbett somewhere off to the South West but not looked how much that add to your day etc :?
We came from Aberdeen over Dunkeld etc, however I should have gone down to Perth given the icy roads. I'd guess around 1 hour 40 mins maybe.......depends if you go through Crieff to Killin or up the A9 and through Aberfeldy....
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:34 pm

You picked a nice day to start off 2015, two Munros, great stuff. Lovely blue skies :D , looks wonderful. Add Goggles to your list of gear if you have not done so already, you won't regret it, honest :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:02 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:You picked a nice day to start off 2015, two Munros, great stuff. Lovely blue skies :D , looks wonderful. Add Goggles to your list of gear if you have not done so already, you won't regret it, honest :D

Cheers Rod, we really enjoyed these two, they offer the most fantastic views on a day like we got. I notice a few people use the goggles, I think your right they are on 'the list' :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Ah, I remember that initial ascent up Stucd an Lochain well, what a steep slog! And this wasn’t in winter. On the upside though, the peat bog below Meall a’ Phuill was hopefully frozen for you.
I found the views especially from Meall Buidhe incredible. You were sooo lucky with that sunset. Magnificent! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Those views are something and that's a good one of you and the dogs at the top. Nice sunset too. Not that I'm envious or anything. :mrgreen:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 pm

That looked great - brilliant photos of your day.

Did these two the other way round so was complexly knackered on the climb up from the loch side to do Stuchd an Lochain - if I was to go back I'd definitely do them in your order.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:45 am

Silverhill wrote:Ah, I remember that initial ascent up Stucd an Lochain well, what a steep slog! And this wasn’t in winter. On the upside though, the peat bog below Meall a’ Phuill was hopefully frozen for you.
I found the views especially from Meall Buidhe incredible. You were sooo lucky with that sunset. Magnificent! 8)

Yep it is a slog up Stuchd an Lochain, especially after a wee lay off! Correct we luckily missed all the peat hags but the snow was deep in places which takes as much energy out of you :lol:
Cheers

dogplodder wrote:Those views are something and that's a good one of you and the dogs at the top. Nice sunset too. Not that I'm envious or anything. :mrgreen:

Thanks DP, the sunset was awesome :wink:

Gordie12 wrote:That looked great - brilliant photos of your day.

Did these two the other way round so was complexly knackered on the climb up from the loch side to do Stuchd an Lochain - if I was to go back I'd definitely do them in your order.

Cheers Gordie
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Smashing hills these 2, with stunning views especially from Meall Buidhe, and they look even better in the snow. Great to see the dogs out and about enjoying the white stuff ... no, not in the slightest bit jealous :evil:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland