walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coire Odhar , Beinn na Lap - Trainspotting in the snow

Coire Odhar , Beinn na Lap - Trainspotting in the snow

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 17/01/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 500m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In Gaelic we call the month you know exclusively as January ......... An mìos marbh

or the dead month ! .

Of course this is in reference to the ground being "asleep" I have always considered that description very appropriate for this time of year ....... until now :wink:

I have been out a bit last wee while mostly repeat local hills and Sgiath Ciuil where I had a magnificent few hours of glorious Alpine conditions between Christmas and new year and a hunt around Garbh Bheinn post New Year trying to shake off the horrors of alcohol poisoning ! .

After a week of bizarre weather here in Suaineirt and heavy snow I decided to target the first Munro of 2015 , I chose Beinn na Lap today , due to the roads being horrendous this side of the Linnhe Dubh ......... I thought I'd let the train take the strain .

The 7.40am train from the Black Garrison had me at Coire Odhair around 8.45am with the wee toy city train slipping and sliding its way through the majesty of Loch Abair. I was told to alight at the back, cause the train needed a "run" to get going again when it stopped at the snowy high point of Coire Odhar.

When I "alighted" I thought I had made the first error of the day ..... " alighting "

An t sneachda mhor ... plenty snow alright ! , copious amounts to a degree that I thought I might be lucky to reach the Youth Hostel

IMG_3687.JPG
An Steisean

It was at the knee in depth crossing the tracks and "unconsolidated" ..... sgionneil , but when I hit the track it was only about half way up my leg as I crunched and sank my way toward Beinn na Lap

IMG_3691.JPG
An rathad a ribhist

The sun was rising in the East though and the air had a good feel to it with the promise of a fine morning which encouraged me onward through the "unconsolidated " snow ! ..... the reward was a cracking sunrise over Sith Challain (Schiehallion)

IMG_3688.JPG
Sith Challain

I have to admit a this spurred me into the ascent mode but it was murderous with wee patches of firmness then large areas of sinky "unconsolidated" snow ,still managed to swim my way higher and higher :clap:

IMG_3699.JPG
Lorg Coise

IMG_3700.JPG
Loch Oisin agus Craobh Guibhsachain

When I eventually reached to the ridge I found the surface a lot better ,you can never underestimate how tiring it is floundering around in the white stuff but the weather more than made up for the toil ...... brilliant ,with views in all directions and fog hanging around the lower reaches of the Glens and Straths and air clarity second to none :D

IMG_3702.JPG
Grian a dhearrsadh

IMG_3704.JPG
An Iar

IMG_3709.JPG
Beinn Ath Fhionn agus Beinn Eallair

Still a fair haul in the snow to the summit of this easiest of Munro's!! although a bonus not needing the crampoon's nor any need for the axe either, a broad enough druim this and we summited around 10.45 having taken around 2hrs , not bad given the soft conditions on the South slopes .....

IMG_3711.JPG
An Cárn

IMG_3715.JPG
Cairn

Superb views to Beinn Neibhis , Na Coirean Glas and Stob Coire Easain poking above the ceó and also over toward Beinn Ealair (Alder)

IMG_3706.JPG
Beinn Neibhis

IMG_3710.JPG
Stob Coire Easain agus Stob Coire a Mheadhann

We spent over an hour on the summit with some of the finest scenery I have seen in many a day I reckon the air clarity was sublime , with low hanging ceó in the Glens, very atmospheric and although cold bearable in the sun

IMG_3716.JPG
Beinn Eallair

IMG_3717.JPG
Mam Mór

I'm no sure if an cú knew what to make of his aodann reoite mind but he enjoys capering about in these conditions and is light enough the snow causing him few hassle's apart from icicles on his coat and face :D

IMG_3712.JPG
An Cu

Hard to pull yourself off the hill on such a day but we eventually started to wander down watching a fair bank of fog wandering toward us from the Monadh Mór ......

IMG_3719.JPG
Monadh Mór agus sgoth a thiginn

IMG_3722.JPG
Ceó

IMG_3723.JPG
Leum Uilleam

We still had a while till the 3.24pm Train so took our time watching the changing scenes Leum Uilleam looked particularly grand

IMG_3725.JPG
Lorg Coise sios

IMG_3727.JPG
A ribhist

Eventually after meandering around we were at the foot again and had a wander low level to finish the day and kill the 2 hour wait for the train ,plenty of classic sights low level at Coire Odhar .

IMG_3729.JPG
An drochaid

IMG_3731.JPG
Cables

IMG_3730.JPG
An rathad ard

IMG_3734.JPG
Slighe

I would have to say this is one of the finest days I have encountered on the hill over the years , Coire Odhar has always fascinated me since I was a young fella , it has a long history and was long disputed by Robertson's , Cameron's and MacDonald's amongst others and I can understand why , a fine country .

IMG_3733.JPG
Leum Uilleam

Cheerie a nis :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Coire Odhar , Beinn na Lap - Trainspotting in the snow

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:02 am

We'll played Colla, love the first pic at the station and Sith Challain pic. It's a wonder the wee choo choo managed to get over the moor in that snow. The dugs seem to make short work of the snow, the snow balls sticking to mine are the only hindrance for them.
Really looking forward to this trip now, cheers :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:10 am

Winter is great for repeats :)

Nice sunrise photo, and great views all around.

Looked a nice wee day out for you and the wee one.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:51 am

Great report and those photos are stunning - The Ben looks well and truly plastered!

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:23 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:Great report and those photos are stunning - The Ben looks well and truly plastered!

ATB

Murray

Aye a lot of snow on the Ben Wilkie , in fact most of the Lochaber hills are plastered :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Great day for it, Colla - looks so much nicer in the snow.
Nice set of photos - esp the one looking down on Loch Ossian - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Very nice. Good choice of hill. Beinn na Lap and Leum Uilleum are excellent viewpoints.
foggieclimber

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:50 pm

foggieclimber wrote:Very nice. Good choice of hill. Beinn na Lap and Leum Uilleum are excellent viewpoints.

Aye was saving for just such a day ... Leum Uilleam looks a belter :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:51 pm

dooterbang wrote:Winter is great for repeats :)

Nice sunrise photo, and great views all around.

Looked a nice wee day out for you and the wee one.

Cheers.

Cheers Doot good to se ya back :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Great day out Colla - some fine pics - love the one of Loch Ossian and of an cu looking frosty :lol:
I'm minded to get the train in to do Beinn Pharlagain and Leum Uillium over a weekend, if I can get my head round the timetable
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:44 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Great day out Colla - some fine pics - love the one of Loch Ossian and of an cu looking frosty :lol:
I'm minded to get the train in to do Beinn Pharlagain and Leum Uillium over a weekend, if I can get my head round the timetable

Met a lassie on the top (in snowshoes) she came up from Crianlarich and looked to be camping ..plenty good spots around Ossian :D

Timetable link ....
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/t ... utwardJump
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Brilliant photos, Collaciotach. Definitely not a dead month in the mountains, particularly when the sun shines like that.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Just stunning.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mgmt! » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:09 pm

thats what its all about, brilliant photos .
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:37 am

Love that photo of the islands in Loch Ossian (and all the other ones too :) ). Would have felt a bit vulnerable taking the train out in conditions like that - the one home might get cancelled!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland