walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Winters Feast - Snowy Stob Diamh!!

A Winters Feast - Snowy Stob Diamh!!

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:59 am

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 17/01/2015

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1000m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For todays winter trek I'd be re-united with my old walking buddy Gordon, alongside a small band of like minded folk from the Scottish Hillwalking & Activities Group. The group consisted of the usual array of interesting characters from far and wide, all with good banter, a story to tell and showing real passion for the outdoor lifestyle.

Original plan was to do Cruachan & Diamh but with fresh snow aplenty and a high avalanche risk on NE slopes we played it safe and chose to ascend/desend Diamh via it's NW shoulder - less risky.

Gordon picked me in Glasgow around 6.30am, after I'd stuck on my yaktrax to navigate through an icy Kelvingrove Park - worthy of its own TR, and we headed North :)

The drive up the A82 was rather spicy - check out the gritter/snow plough around 30s!

As usual, a stop at the Green Welly shop - a hub for outdoor folk to parade their new gear - entailed passing of water and a catch up with other walkers. We left and drove west - Loch Awe was soon in site.

The forecast stated mostly foggy with some snow showers, it appeared correct :(
Off we went, straight up through the wooded area, heart rates pounding!

Looking back towrds Loch Awe - now free of the wooded area.

We soon approached the Cruachan Dam, an arrangement of big boy Tonka Trucks scattered the landscape.

The views started to open up, glimpses of sunshine pierced through the misty haze...was I dreaming :shock:
Followed the track East of the Dam then started to ascend Diamh's NW shoulder. The fun factor was now high :)

Reservior Reflections

Heading up the shoulder...

The banter was flowing between the young guard and the old brigade, unfortunately I now qualify for the OB, but I still had the legs to show these youthful people how it's done. Now enjoying the physical challenge I shot up the ridge Northwards. Kept looking back at the wondrous views, the group now resembling ants - big mutant ones!

My eyes were also pulled West looking along the ridge to the Summit of Ben Cruachan...

and SW to the Cruachan reservior.

Higher up the sun started to peak over Beinn a Bhuiridh and provided an awesome backdrop, I was now above the clouds and the word breathtaking springs to mind. Officially, this was now a top grade winter sunshine walk :wink:

I'd stuck on the crampons about 150M before the summit as I was now finding it hard to kick steps into the hard snow, any excuse really :)

I stopped at the Munro top of Stob Garbh and changed into dry tops, I was wet...with all the physical exertion! Time for food whilst waiting on the others. We all had a bite to eat here. Having already done Diamh I chose to stay put and take in the surrounding whilst the other followed the ridge for 400M to reach the true summit point.

On our descent, and reaching the Dam, the weather had changed and the fog was thick...but we all had huge grins on our faces, and it wasn't from the young brigades banter :wink: .

Todays walk was just fantastic, can't beat winter sunshine walks with clear views and no wind.

Thanks to Gordon for organizing. Must also mention that Gordon has trained up over 120 people in navigation skills for free over the years, he's now taking a break from this role within the group. Well done mate :clap:

Also nice to see the younger folk out. Young Harrison at only 18 has already climbed Mont Blanc and has booked up for the Himalayas. Passion flows through his veins and it's infectious. A great way to spend those early years, and later ones, :wink: Good on ya mate. :thumbup:

Cheers.

Last edited by dooterbang on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: A Winters Feast - Snowy Stob Diamh!!

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:24 am

Certainly developed into a great day when you got higher up, dooters - well done all ! Have thought a bit about going out with a group but have never got round to it yet.

Was going to head up there to Beinn a'Bhuiridh today......but last night's forecast for strong winds and a lot of wind chill put me off :crazy: ...getting old :? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Nice one and I guess your injury is healing up ? .

Can't beat Winter snow n sunshine :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Good to see the weather improved dramatically as the day went on. Nice inversion :)
foggieclimber

Postby mountainstar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:00 pm

You continue your amazing luck of having the weather Gods on your side.
Hopefully that will continue for our little meet soon. :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby kev_russ » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Looked a good day Doots. That will be young Harrison i'm following on Instagram. The wee man gets aboot!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby hopper68 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Nice pics and good report. The 4th picture with the digger ,that belongs to Trekpete lol. Im not sure if he is still on this forum but i know he is working there..
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby trekpete » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:00 pm

That was looking pretty fantastic up there. My Tonka toy was over to the right, the JCB not one of those horrid Cat's. Weather up here has been dire for the last 10 days so it's nice to see it looking like this. There was a foot of snow lying on Wednesday morning at that level and it took us until lunch time to get up the road. Looks like it needs cleared in the morning again :lol:
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

trekpete wrote:That was looking pretty fantastic up there. My Tonka toy was over to the right, the JCB not one of those horrid Cat's. Weather up here has been dire for the last 10 days so it's nice to see it looking like this. There was a foot of snow lying on Wednesday morning at that level and it took us until lunch time to get up the road. Looks like it needs cleared in the morning again :lol:
Great place to work, if weather plays ball. Yeah, seen the bigger JCB :)

rockhopper wrote:Certainly developed into a great day when you got higher up, dooters - well done all ! Have thought a bit about going out with a group but have never got round to it yet.

Was going to head up there to Beinn a'Bhuiridh today......but last night's forecast for strong winds and a lot of wind chill put me off :crazy: ...getting old :? - cheers :)
Getting lazy now that you've compleated :wink:

Collaciotach wrote:Nice one and I guess your injury is healing up ? .
Still hurts I'm afraid :(

mountainstar wrote:You continue your amazing luck of having the weather Gods on your side.
Hopefully that will continue for our little meet soon. :D
Like the weather next week will matter :wink:

kev_russ wrote:Looked a good day Doots. That will be young Harrison i'm following on Instagram. The wee man gets aboot!
He's mad for it :shock:

hopper68 wrote:Nice pics and good report. The 4th picture with the digger ,that belongs to Trekpete lol. Im not sure if he is still on this forum but i know he is working there..
Ha, I know of his reports from the dark side :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:12 pm

I almost headed over that way on saturday, need a couple of tops in that circuit (sron an isean and meall cunail), but reckoned that was too big a job for one day in thick snow - think i got it right - looks hard work, Doots
Fabby hill though
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Sidewinder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:12 pm

That was a great walk Paul, good to see your old legs can still handle a QMD! I look forward to the next one. :)
Sidewinder
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:47 pm

What a glorious day you had for this walk. Good to see you’re back enjoying the hills! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:41 pm

weaselmaster wrote:I almost headed over that way on saturday, need a couple of tops in that circuit (sron an isean and meall cunail), but reckoned that was too big a job for one day in thick snow - think i got it right - looks hard work, Doots
Fabby hill though
Ah, you would've made it look easy :)

Sidewinder wrote:That was a great walk Paul, good to see your old legs can still handle a QMD! I look forward to the next one. :)
I've not lost it yet old fella :wink:

Silverhill wrote:What a glorious day you had for this walk. Good to see you’re back enjoying the hills! :D

Thanks silverhill, was great being out again. Hopefully I don't wait to ong to get out again :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:31 am

Nice inversion - looked like a fine day out 8) . I was going to make some comment re: your wasted youth, but you seem to have edited the relevant bit out. Did you see me coming or something? :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby MunroMadMen » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 am

The kind of days we live for, pics are stunnin :)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland