walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Series of Firsts in Perthshire

A Series of Firsts in Perthshire

Postby Susan J » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:59 am

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 03/01/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit of a collection of firsts going on here. First walk report for Walk Highlands, first bash at a Munro without anyone more experienced than me in the team, first winter walk in Scotland planned and executed by little me. Tripped up to Perthshire at the start of the year with the idea of bagging something, anything before heading up to Glenmore for a five day winter skills programme that would hopefully mean I was a bit more qualified to hang around Scotland bagging things in winter. Yes, I know that’s a bit back to front, but it was just the way the days worked out. As it was, the day was predicted clear and glorious and so an attack on Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers, with their fairly straightforward route and bonus 400m starting point seemed like a good experiment.
Headed out from Loch Voil hostel early on the 3rd (if you’ve never stayed here, do, it’s a wonderful wee gem), aiming for the car park as per Walk Highlands lovely detailed description. Unfortunately that wasn’t quite to be, as when we got part way up the road we discovered a Corsa *and* a campervan slewed across it, battling valiantly with some black ice assisted by several doughty looking men well dressed in a wide and exciting range of technical clothing. My boyfriend went and gave a bit of a shove help but car sorting wasn’t to be, and leaving the various drivers and passengers debating calling the AA, we parked a wee bit further down the road.

The light was glorious. Just glorious. As a very amateur photographer, I say this a lot. LOOK AT THE LIGHT. Especially whilst up on mountains. Apparently I say this so much people say it for me now. Which is kind of them.
Anyway. LOOK AT THE LIGHT.

These theme continued for most of the ascent, except for the bits where I tried to say LOOK AT THE LIGHT and the words were ripped from me by a pretty much unforecasted high wind, which poked us in the ears, face and general anatomy from the point we exited the nature reserve to almost the summit of Beinn Ghlas, where a quirk round in the path led us to a lovely sheltered bit with MASSIVE views, where tea and cake were consumed in company with everyone else who had discovered it was possible to sit there without having the skin scoured from your nose.
MASSIVE VIEWS.

Then onwards and upwards to first Munro of 2015, and R’s first Munro EVER. Duly, there were celebrations.

The ridge and ascent to Ben Lawers was unproblematic and the spindrift floating gently over Beinn Ghlas was glorious.

Made it to the slightly bemusingly double trigged summit, and shared a sense of smug wellbeing and joy with a motley collection of warmly clad people before heading back down the same route into strengthening winds. After a couple of unanticipated sideways step movements, this got rather wearing and it was with great joy we regained the nature trail, some shelter, and a repeat performance of LOOK AT THE LIGHT.

A glorious, glorious day, and capped off by a beautiful, full, fat moon rising above us as we toddled back to the car. Just brilliant. Thank you Scotland.

Susan J
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:103
Wainwrights:122   

Re: A Series of Firsts in Perthshire

Postby martin.h » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi Susan J and welcome to Walkhighlands.
Good first report on a lovely part of Scotland, you certainly had the weather and managed some nice photos.
I hope you get more oppertunities to "LOOK AT THE LIGHT"in the Highlands in 2015.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Wow, that was special and if that's your first I'm looking foward to more of the same! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby onsen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Breathtaking views.........
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:56 am

Good stuff! Makes not going to Scotland this year less easy...
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Some lovely photographs there on a superb looking day!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby sonic » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:25 am

I walked these two on the same day as yourself, must have passed each other at some point. Was an amazing day and views were stunning was also my first winter walk lovely photos too :D
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland