walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aviemore to Blair Athol 8 Munros

Aviemore to Blair Athol 8 Munros

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Beinn Bhrotain, Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar), Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Monadh Mòr, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 08/08/1996

Time taken: 60 hours

Distance: 70 km

Ascent: 3700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'm just posting a brief report on this trip I did a while ago as it takes in 8 Munros (9 were intended) including the remote ones at the head of the Geldie.
We left one car in the Glen Tilt car park at Blair Athol, had an early supper at Aviemore, and then drove to the Sugarbowl Carpark arriving at about 7.00pm. We walked through the dramatic Chalamain gap, crossed the Lairig Ghru and camped on the flat ground (Ca 740m) at the foot of the Sron na Lairig. There are reasonable tent pitches here and running water. - and no midges on this occasion.
I had tried this walk a couple of years previously in early July, gone to bed here in perfect conditions and woken up with 4" of snow around the tent :( End of trip!
This time the weather was better but not ideal: we climbed the Sron na Lairig, took in all the tops of Braerich and then walked round the Corrie rim over Angel peak and Carn Toul to the Devils point.
ABA1.jpg
Cairn Toul and Angels peak from Braeriach
ABA2.jpg
The cliffs of the Garbh Choire
ABA3.jpg
Cairn Toul above Lochan Uaine from the rim of the Corrie - Beinn Bhrotain behind
ABA4.jpg
Angel peak and Cairn Toul from near the col
ABA5.jpg
Looking back through the Lairig Ghru from the Devils point
The weather now was very cloudy so that was the last of the photos - You had to spend money on film then!
From the neck behind the Devil's point you can traverse easily round to the adjacent col (899m) North of Monadh Mor. It is best to climb up about 50m but then there is an almost boulder free grass shelf that traverses round - much easier than it looks on the map. We walked over the whalebone of Monadh Mor and camped West and just a little below the col before Beinn Bhrotain.
The following morning we traveresed Beinn Bhrotain and the Munro top Carn Cloich Mhuilinn crossed the Geldie by Geldie lodge and climbed the valley to the col between Carn Ealar and An Sgarsoch.
The plan had been to climb the latter without packs and then carry on beyond Carn Ealar camping somewhere while following the high ground round to Beinn Dearg. However the weather was clearly deteriorating so we decided to rest on our laurels. We climbed both Munros packless, descended the south side of the col and stayed at the Tarf bothy overnight.
I guess we could easily thave included Carn a Chlamain from here but I'd already done it (after the snow debacle :)) so next morning we headed up the valley S from the bothy in mist and drizzle. Keeping W of Coniach Mohr we hit the track leading down to Forest lodge. From there it was a lengthy but uneventful tramp down the Tilt to the car park
Last edited by past my sell by date on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Aviemore to Blair Athol 8 Munros

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:34 pm

There's something special about the old photos taken carefully on film - unlike the way we snap away with digital! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby IanEzzi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Wow, excellent inspiration for a trip!

This encompasses a lot of hills I've yet to climb, an area I've only dabbled in (passing through Glen Tilt at night by bike) and a bothy I really want to stay in.

I've already tweaked your route though to take in Beinn Dearg and the Allt Scheacheachain bothy, just for extra bothy points! Looks like a great four dayer for the summer :D

New_Route (2).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby onsen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Timeless views....whether taken on retro film or the latest digital. Great memories.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby davetherave » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:18 am

Many hills that I still have to do. :D

the variation of routes seem unlimited in the cairngorms.

Some really nice oldie fotties on display .
Thanks for posting.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby simon-b » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:16 am

An impressive trip. It definitely takes in 8 Munros now. Was Carn Cloich Mhuilinn still a Munro then? I know Sgor an Lochain Uaine (Angel's Peak) has been promoted since that time.

Excellent photos, the film really did its job.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland