walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Sunday stroll to Dodd

A Sunday stroll to Dodd

Postby mike202 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dodd

Date walked: 18/01/2015

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dodd walk Sunday 18th January 2015

Me and Deb parked at the Old Sawmill Forestry commission car park opposite Mirehouse marked on the OS map.
Little winge about the £4.80 to park for four hours! :shock:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was not even the charge for the full day. The tea rooms weren’t even open this time of year and I feel that this is an extortionate amount. No wonder there were people parked alongside the main road nearby. OK winge over, back to the walk.

The path is well marked with posts (funded by the car park I suppose, OK, ok -I’ll stop it now) with four different walks on offer; we wanted the Dodd summit walk. There was a nice sprinkling of snow on the ground and it was quite bright with good views. Not so much on the way up though as you are amongst the trees.

This was another of the Northern fells I needed to mop up. The path is good all the way and takes you gradually up and around the back of the hill, and then up to the top. As we got higher the snow got thicker although it was only ever a few inches deep and presented no problems. There were quite a few others doing this walk as it is a pleasant stroll with excellent views from the summit.

first view of summit

view south to Helvellyn range

At the top there is an attractive piece of stone with dedications on one side and a plate marking the summit of the hill.

north west view

Keswick

a wet Derwent valley

We stopped part of the way down to have some lunch and had a guest. We didn’t follow the way markings for the walk down, as I wanted to make the most of the views. We headed around the south side of Dodd. It was still fairly straightforward to find the path back to the carpark.

Guest :lol:

views on path down

nearly back

It took us about 1 ½ hours to get to the top at a leisurely pace and about one hour back down, not including the lunch stop. Nice easy paths all the way. :)
mike202
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Sunday stroll to Dodd

Postby onsen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Lovely stroll to clear the lungs... mike202.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland