walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Galloway Hills - superb surprise

Galloway Hills - superb surprise

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Corserine, Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 07/02/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 905m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After my exploits in the Borders earlier in the week I decided to make the most of the lingering high pressure and head south again. After studying the map I decided to go a bit further afield, thought about The Merrick but didn't want to travel all that way for a single Corbett. I noticed Corserine could be combined with a couple of Donalds so that was the plan.
Posted my intentions as usual and Jac (jac the lassie) popped up out of the woodwork and offered to keep me company. We arranged to meet at the car park intending to start walking by 9am, we were both early which is surprising because I had forgotten how bendy the A702 is once you leave the M74 and head SW, hardly got a chance to put my foot down :lol: The drive wasn't made any more enjoyable by extensive fog patches :(

DSCF7970.JPG
Large car park

The initial part of the walk is through the forest along forest tracks, care was needed as the were plenty of ice patches trying to entice you into a slip up :lol:
On reaching the edge of the forest you are confronted with a fence, not a problem for us humans, but Jac had to lift her 2 dogs over the fence, very carefully as barbed wire in situ to make it more challenging. The greyhound Bella wasn't too much of a problem for obvious reasons but Ben her Black Lab required a few more muscles.
Once across the fence the way ahead is fairly obvious and the way ahead was very spectacular, it reminded me of Corrie Fee :wink:

DSCF7979.JPG
The barbed wire fence

DSCF7980.JPG
Fantastic view of the way up

DSCF7991.JPG
Looking back down to the forest

The trudge up to the summit of Corserine was hard going, very similar to my tough day earlier in the week, every step was guess work, how far down would one's foot sink :lol: Even when the snow was crisp and firm you were still prepared to be caught out with that sinking feeling. The ascent wasn't steep it just seemed to take a while but as we gained height the views started to open up behind us, so we had to stop fairly frequently purely to take photo's :wink:

DSCF7998.JPG
Looking back, interesting patterns in the sky

DSCF8001.JPG
Carsphairn Hills

DSCF8008.JPG
Looking back again

After all the hard work we reached the large cairn on Corserine, however the Trig point was on the far side of the huge summit plateau which in clag could be a navigational challenge :lol: I got the map out to see what the cairn was to the north and discovered it was Carlin's Cairn, had we known it was a recognised Corbett we would probably have nipped across to say hello, especially as it didn't look too far away with not too much descent/ascent :(

DSCF8021.JPG
Corserine cairn

DSCF8022.JPG
Corserine trig with Bella muscling in on the photo

DSCF8031.JPG
Carlin's Cairn, doesn't look too far away

DSCF8034.JPG
Loch Enoch?

Jac and I were really surprised that we hadn't seen another human being yet, the weather was amazing, gloves weren't utilised all day and on the ascents fleeces were removed and the sun actually seemed to be generating some heat :lol: We set off from the large summit of Corserine along a wide ridge which offered great views, but we couldn't really admire the views as we had to keep an eye on every single footstep. Some of the walk was made slightly easier by old/previous footsteps in the snow, unfortunately they were a bit random.

DSCF8036.JPG
The ridge ahead

DSCF8045.JPG
The wonderfully named Loch Dungeon

DSCF8046.JPG
A bit chilly on the feet

DSCF8065.JPG
The Merrick peeking up through the cloud

DSCF8068.JPG
Summit cairn on Milldown

DSCF8080.JPG
Final summit cairn and trig on Meikle Millyea

On the final summit of Meikle Millyea (interesting name) because it was the most southerly part of the walk the view were outstanding, we could even see England :lol: :lol:

DSCF8091.JPG
The Solway Firth can just be seen

After reaching the final summit of the day we thought the descent would be straightforward, how wrong. Firstly the snow seemed to be even deeper and softer, both of us managed to find a hidden water hole :lol: The descent follows a stane dyke wall, when we reached the edge of the forest we were confronted with a high deer fence. Jac had read previous reports and was expecting the fence, which had a style somewhere, so it was a matter of scanning the length of the fence and Jac spotted it :clap: :clap:
After crossing the style, the next task was to try and reach the track, that involved tackling an obstacle course :lol:
Fallen trees had to be clambered over prior to reaching the track that would take us back through the forest to the car park. A word of warning the track back to car did seem to take quite a long time and care should be taken to make sure you head in the right direction.

DSCF8099.JPG
Obstacle course

DSCF8097.JPG
The track back to the car park

A big thanks to Jac for her company, hope I didn't slow you down too much :wink:
If anyone hasn't been down this way you really should make an effort, you won't be disappointed :wink:
It would be interesting to see what these hills are like when all the white stuff has disappeared.
Next.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Galloway Hills - superb surprise

Postby kev_russ » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Braw pics Martin. You sure do get about :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby malky_c » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:37 pm

That's a fine day out 8)

This lot and the Craignaw/Merrick/Shalloch on Minnoch area are much more fun than some of the flat boggy summits to the east. Some of them are very tough going too - the dreaded Galloway tussock will eventually have you screaming for mercy and wishing you were on something easier like Knoydart :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby martin.h » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi Martin, that looked a good day out, great weather and fantastic views, its a great part of Scotland and should be held in high regard by us all.
We have a weekend booked in Dumfries 7th and 8th of March and are hoping to do Hart Fell etc on the Saturday and something on the Sunday (don't know what yet), give m a shout If you fancy meeting up one of the days, it would be nice to have some company.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:31 am

Well done on battling the soft snow. Great pictures -I can imagine being there. Any idea which hills those are above the cloud in your fifth and seventh pictures?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jac the lassie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Great report martin :clap:
thank for letting us give u a chum. Was a good day out, those hills were a really pleasant surprise. Lovely photos!
Jac :D
Attachments
686_753398959.JPG
Chilly!
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby ridgerunner » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Great report and photos.
Shame about having to lift the dogs over the fence but there is a stile there.
It's easier to find both stiles by doing the walk clockwise and when descending from Corserine the stile can be seen about 100metres left of the burn.
I think the hills seen over the sea of cloud/fog in photos 5 and 7 are the hills of Dalbeattie forest as I had the same view last month when the sea of fog was more extensive and they cought my eye too.
We too struggled through the tree obstacle course where it is very easy to get a wet foot.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:22 pm

ridgerunner wrote:Great report and photos.
Shame about having to lift the dogs over the fence but there is a stile there.
It's easier to find both stiles by doing the walk clockwise and when descending from Corserine the stile can be seen about 100metres left of the burn.
I think the hills seen over the sea of cloud/fog in photos 5 and 7 are the hills of Dalbeattie forest as I had the same view last month when the sea of fog was more extensive and they cought my eye too.
We too struggled through the tree obstacle course where it is very easy to get a wet foot.

Yes, I was thinking Criffel and Screel.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby PeteR » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:28 pm

You really did some great shots there Martin :clap:

In keeping with malky_c's comments all I have to say is "Shalloch on Minnoch!" :lol: :lol:
(I still have to summon up the courage to return to bag the other two Donalds on that circuit :shock: )
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Nice one :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Lovely - a good walk at most times but looks even better in the snow.
Know what you mean about the obstacle course at the end :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jmarkb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 am

litljortindan wrote:Yes, I was thinking Criffel and Screel.

Yes, and the Lakes in the far distance, too.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:55 pm

We always seem to by pass the Galloway hills, after reading your report I may need to stop off for a visit, looks a very picturesque walk.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments :wink: I won't thank you individually :lol:

Suffice to say, if you have never been to SW Scotland try & make an effort you won't be disappointed 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland