walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All-Day Sunset on Beinn Chabhair

All-Day Sunset on Beinn Chabhair

Postby lindseym » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 07/02/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A slightly ambiguous weather forecast and a fairly poorly rated Munro on this website meant that expectations for last weekend's jaunt up Beinn Chabhair were fairly low as we set off from The Drover's Inn just before 10am. With the temperature above 0 degrees for the first time in weeks the snow cover was a fair bit less than recent times and, on the relatively steep first section, I quickly worked up a sweat while enjoying the views.

We followed the path on the North side of the waterfall and through the stiles.

rsz_img_9628.jpg
Fine views across to the hills on the other side of the A82.

As the path began to get icier the flatter plain was reached and the snow thickened. From here we more or less stuck to the Walkhighlands route, following the North side of the river. I can see why people would find this section boring as there is barely an incline except for the small negated undulations, and there is a certain vast emptiness to the environment, however a fine day was developing and the snow turned what might have been a bleak scene into more of a majestic tundra.

rsz_img_9643.jpg
Following the partially frozen river.

rsz_img_9637.jpg
Making our way through the snowy plains.

The lack of ascent was about to become frustrating but thankfully the sight of the frozen lochan arrived just in time to signal the beginning of the ascent onto the main ridge. We took a slightly more Western gully to make the ascent but thankfully we weren't the only ones in recent days to have chosen that route so we didn't have to kick all our own steps!

rsz_img_9649.jpg
The low sun shining on the frozen lochan.

rsz_img_9657.jpg
Smiling because someone before us had already kicked steps!

Once on the main ridge we jigged in and out of the craggy sections, often losing the path but heading onwards and upwards. Eventually it was impossible to kick steps so on went the crampons and we managed to ascend much more quickly, tackling some pretty steep gullies with ease.

Before long we reached the very windy summit and the views were truly beautiful. The sun appeared to have been hungover, barely rising far beyond the horizon all day and was swathed in wispy clouds creating a beautiful orange glow which gave the impression of sunset all day.

rsz_img_9665.jpg
The incredibly beautiful view from the summit. The BBC included this photo in their gallery of sunsets - I didn't dare tell them it was taken at 2pm...

rsz_img_9674.jpg
Trying not to be blown off the summit.

We didn't stay long as the wind was really picking up so off we headed back the way we had come (plus one or two accidental detours and a few deliberate bum slides - very fun!) which was enjoyable until we reached the long trudge back to the final descent above the road. However we were rewarded with the most incredible fiery red and pink real sunset... for which my camera battery kindly died!

All in all this was a great munro, another of which I am glad I kept for winter as the snow and ice certainly redeems its more boring aspects.

rsz_img_9667.jpg
The highlight of the day - the stunning panoramic views from the summit.
lindseym
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Islands:10

Re: All-Day Sunset on Beinn Chabhair

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:16 am

Great pics - the "sunset" fully deserved to be on the BBC site.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:09 am

superb - just goes to show there's no such thing as an unexciting hill especially in these conditions - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kev_russ » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:14 am

Cracking pics :clap: same on your instagram tae :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby lindseym » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Great pics - the "sunset" fully deserved to be on the BBC site.

Thank you, too kind! :D
lindseym
Mountain Walker

Postby lindseym » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:27 pm

rockhopper wrote:superb - just goes to show there's no such thing as an unexciting hill especially in these conditions - cheers :)

Absolutely agree. A little bit of research makes it dead easy to figure out which ones could be best done it winter and this seems to be one of them :D
lindseym
Mountain Walker

Postby lindseym » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:32 pm

kev_russ wrote:Cracking pics :clap: same on your instagram tae :wink:

Thank you! Nice to see a friendly Instagram face/name on Walkhighlands - I'm sure there are more lurking about :lol:
lindseym
Mountain Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Lovely photos, don't understand how with views like that it could be a poorly rated hill.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby lindseym » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Lovely photos, don't understand how with views like that it could be a poorly rated hill.

Thank you :) Totally agree, guess it's all about choosing the right conditions to walk it in.
lindseym
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Very nice. Don't know why this one gets a low rating - I loved it and must go back and register that now if I can do it retrospectively! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rmarschalek » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:23 am

A great report and stunning picture. I tackled this hill last weekend and rate it highly I think because of the 3 phases, steep climb out of valley, tundra like middle section and then undulating ridge. It had changed a bit since your report as the lower levels were not frozen.
rmarschalek
Munro compleatist

Munros:77   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:10   

Postby lindseym » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 pm

dogplodder wrote:Very nice. Don't know why this one gets a low rating - I loved it and must go back and register that now if I can do it retrospectively! :D

Glad I'm not the only one enjoying that hill! :lol:
lindseym
Mountain Walker

Postby lindseym » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:00 pm

rmarschalek wrote:A great report and stunning picture. I tackled this hill last weekend and rate it highly I think because of the 3 phases, steep climb out of valley, tundra like middle section and then undulating ridge. It had changed a bit since your report as the lower levels were not frozen.

Thank you :D you're totally right, that's a really nice way of thinking about it. Hope you enjoyed your hike last weekend!
lindseym
Mountain Walker

Postby garyoppolis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm

I think Beinn Chabhair's an absolute sod.

I've been up three times,

Once on a wet and horrible October afternoon when the middle section was less "tundra" and more Passchendaele. Got to the lochan with clag all around, consulted the map and realised there was as much left to go as we'd already done. Sacked it off and headed back to the car.

Once on midsummer's day when the ground had been baked for a few days and made for reasonable going. The views were cracking. If I'd left it at that I'd probably like this hill.

The most recent was on Sunday the 8th Feb; a touch more cloud and pretty blowy. Sprained my ankle about 200 yards from the summit, hobbled in absolute agony, very slowly, all the way back to the Drovers where I waited a few hours for the bus.

Didn't even get a blue balloon to show for it. :(
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby lindseym » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:28 pm

garyoppolis wrote:I think Beinn Chabhair's an absolute sod.

I've been up three times,

Once on a wet and horrible October afternoon when the middle section was less "tundra" and more Passchendaele. Got to the lochan with clag all around, consulted the map and realised there was as much left to go as we'd already done. Sacked it off and headed back to the car.

Once on midsummer's day when the ground had been baked for a few days and made for reasonable going. The views were cracking. If I'd left it at that I'd probably like this hill.

The most recent was on Sunday the 8th Feb; a touch more cloud and pretty blowy. Sprained my ankle about 200 yards from the summit, hobbled in absolute agony, very slowly, all the way back to the Drovers where I waited a few hours for the bus.

Didn't even get a blue balloon to show for it. :(

Oh dear, no wonder you dislike it! Just focus on the middle trip... And don't ever go back :lol: Here's hoping you have more successful climbs soon!
lindseym
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland