walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Great Bivvy locations......any suggestions??

Great Bivvy locations......any suggestions??

Postby 007iron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Having only bivvied out once (on top of the Cuillin last May) I am looking to get for some ideas for a great bivvy location spot as I plan some potential summer adventures for 2015?

I know the list of great bivvy locations in Scotland could really be endless but just looking for some suggestions of where people have been and have found to be successful great dramatic locations.
I guess my ideal is to go to sleep after watching an amazing sunset then wake to an amazing sunrise somewhere upon or near the top of one of our fine Scottish Munro's! Of course with a good day Munro bagging in the hills either side of the bivvy.
I know the weather plays a big part but we can but dream of these ideal scenarios! :roll: :lol:

So I'm looking for some inspiration really and would love to know where you have found to be a great bivvy location........please give me some ideas!! :roll: :roll:

Cheers!
007iron
Mountain Walker

Munros:164   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Islands:17

Re: Great Bivvy locations......any suggestions??

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Sgurr na Stri?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby 007iron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:08 am

malky_c wrote:Sgurr na Stri?

Thanks for that one malky_c
007iron
Mountain Walker

Postby Michael Thomson » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Far too numerous to single some out. Summits of the bigger hills are good, summits of smaller hills often better because they have good views of the big hills. Wild coires are good for a bit of atmosphere too. Mix it up a bit.

I tend to be in a tent, but a few that I've enjoyed summit bivvies on:

Beinn Sgritheall
Beinn a Bheithir
Beinn Narnain
Beinn an Lochan

The aforementioned Sgurr na Stri is also awesome.

Ach just pick a hill and go, it's generally all great.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby 007iron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Michael Thomson wrote:Far too numerous to single some out. Summits of the bigger hills are good, summits of smaller hills often better because they have good views of the big hills. Wild coires are good for a bit of atmosphere too. Mix it up a bit.

I tend to be in a tent, but a few that I've enjoyed summit bivvies on:

Beinn Sgritheall
Beinn a Bheithir
Beinn Narnain
Beinn an Lochan

The aforementioned Sgurr na Stri is also awesome.

Ach just pick a hill and go, it's generally all great.

Brilliant Michael, exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks for the reply! :D :D
007iron
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:54 pm

I do like a sunset/sunrise and went through a bivvying phase but that fizzled out. Still go for sunrise walks or sunset walks.

Bivvied on the following and all were good:

Sgritheall twice -nice mossy summit, 1st time carried sleeping bag and carry mat up north ridge, 2nd time went with two French ladies and produced a near empty gas cylinder for cooking evening meal -ended up cooking off burning moss!
Sgurr a Mhaim -can't remember if this was comfy
Stob Coire nan Lochan -grassy spot between SCNL and Bidean in sleeping bag on carry mat
Rois Bhein -grassy hillside spot in sleeping bag on carry mat
Gars Bheinn, Black Cuillin -uncomfortable stony May night in a survival bag but great views
Ben Alligin -comfy spot on grass in sleeping bag on carry mat and under a tent outer
Caisteal Abhail twice -nice and mossy and a spring not far below the summit; 1st time night spent in sleeping bag and tent, 2nd time just sleeping bags + carry mats
Ben Talaidh -grassy spot just below summit in sleeping bag on carry mat under tent outer + unbelievable sunset
Ben Lawers car park -a night wrapped in bin liiners; didn't do that again, needless to say
+ a couple of others I think

oh, eh, and near the topof Munkan on Moskenesoya in the Lofoten Islands
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby 007iron » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:11 am

litljortindan wrote:I do like a sunset/sunrise and went through a bivvying phase but that fizzled out. Still go for sunrise walks or sunset walks.

Bivvied on the following and all were good:

Sgritheall twice -nice mossy summit, 1st time carried sleeping bag and carry mat up north ridge, 2nd time went with two French ladies and produced a near empty gas cylinder for cooking evening meal -ended up cooking off burning moss!
Sgurr a Mhaim -can't remember if this was comfy
Stob Coire nan Lochan -grassy spot between SCNL and Bidean in sleeping bag on carry mat
Rois Bhein -grassy hillside spot in sleeping bag on carry mat
Gars Bheinn, Black Cuillin -uncomfortable stony May night in a survival bag but great views
Ben Alligin -comfy spot on grass in sleeping bag on carry mat and under a tent outer
Caisteal Abhail twice -nice and mossy and a spring not far below the summit; 1st time night spent in sleeping bag and tent, 2nd time just sleeping bags + carry mats
Ben Talaidh -grassy spot just below summit in sleeping bag on carry mat under tent outer + unbelievable sunset
Ben Lawers car park -a night wrapped in bin liiners; didn't do that again, needless to say
+ a couple of others I think

oh, eh, and near the topof Munkan on Moskenesoya in the Lofoten Islands

litljortindan - Thanks for the great reply. I now have a great list of bivvy spots to now work through. Not sure if I'll manage them all before my keenness wanes but I shall give it a go!
Looking forward to making some plans now! :D :D

P.s - Got to love a an incredible Sunrise/sunset! 8)
007iron
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion