walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Come back on a Corbett

Come back on a Corbett

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:38 pm

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhòr a'Ghiubhais Li

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr a' Ghiubhais Li

Date walked: 15/02/2015

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 524m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Liath Mhor a'Ghiubhais Li – Corbett of the long name, boggy terrain and stunning views – oh and it's a short walk!

Sometimes a short easy hill is precisely what fills the need. After a couple of months lay off, including an enforced restriction to walking on the flat because of a back problem, it was great for me to be let off the lead, but I needed a gentle day out. The weather looked promising – although MWIS's wind forecast (at 50-60mph on the tops) wasn't that encouraging, both the Met Office and yr.no were more hopeful (only about 20mph at Loch Glasscarnoch).

Beinn Liath Mhor a'Ghiubhais Li is just a short drive from the Black Isle so we had a leisurely start and got to the parking spot by Loch Glasscarnoch about 10:30. Already the views were worth getting up for ...

Looking across Loch Glascarnoch to the Beinn Dearg Quartet

but when I opened the car door it was clear that there was some foundation to the MWIS wind forecast :shock:

Once booted up and across the road we set off for what another Walk Highlander has described as 'a tilted bog'. Well an advantage of walking in winter was that the bog was frozen – just enough to make the ground firm without requiring skates – or even crampons. We followed the WH route up onto the plateau of Meall Daimh, with beautiful views opening up around us. It was wonderful to be out and heading up again – hill withdrawal symptoms leave me exceedingly grumpy.

An Teallach dominating the west

The Beinn Dearg quartet

Loch Glasscarnoch and Ben Wyvis

And then there's Beinn Liath Mhor a'Ghiubhais Li itself just a short stroll away

Once onto Meall Daimh we were more aware of the wind.
Bertie using his ears to demonstrate that it's windy ...

Up to this point we'd had no signs of any wildlife (apart from grouse droppings) but on a snow slick before us we spotted tracks – not other walkers that we could see – no they were deer tracks, Roger followed the deer.

A short while later we saw the only live wildlife of the day – a mountain hare, which Bertie tried to encourage to stay and play – the hare was far too clever for that :lol: :lol:

More shots north and east as the views opened up

North

East

Then on to the summit. Two things struck us with force – the stunning views of the eastern Fannaichs, and the full strength of the southerly wind. It took several goes to hold the camera steady enough in the wind to get this shot of Roger sheltering with the Fannaichs behind him.

Cowering away from the wind
(Thanks to WebTogs for the new backpack - a great improvement weight-wise on my old one, which was good for the back.)

The wall of the shelter gave enough protection to have lunch facing the Beinn Dearg group with Seana Bhraigh away in the background.

Over to the east we got a good look at the Easter Ross Corbetts, with Carn Chuinneag on the right.

By leaning on the wall of the shelter I could get enough support to hold the camera still

Sgurr Mor

The Eastern Fannaichs

The view south to the Strath Connon Corbetts and beyond
Image[/url]

It was getting cold up here so with one last shot of An Teallach

we headed off – given the wind we decided not to head west along the ridge, or even back the way we'd come, instead we dropped of the hill and headed for the fence around the new plantation.
Looking back at Beinn Liath Mhor a'Ghiubhais Li near the plantation fence.

The advantage of this was that we did find some slightly steeper terrain so it wasn't all a stroll in the park :lol: :lol: and we did get out of the wind. The steep bit didn't last long then we were back in sight of the road, and heading back to the makeshift gate in the fence around the plantation.

Just before reaching the gate there was lots of hair on the heather – neatly cut deer hair. Then a couple of metres away a dead deer. We were too concerned to make sure the dogs didn't decide to take a free lunch to investigate, but we'd passed through the gate only 3 hrs earlier and neither we nor the dogs had noticed it. Deer stalking on a Sunday in February?? Awfully close to the road for a bit of speculative hunting?? Whatever had cut the hair had been sharp and cut straight – not done by teeth or claws.

By the time we'd got back to the car the wind had dropped and both the Met Office and yo.nr had got their forecasts right too.

On reflection I can recommend this hill for its views and sense of space, a very effective pick-me-up, and of course another blue balloon.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Come back on a Corbett

Postby kev_russ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Cracking comeback! :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Beaner001 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:51 am

Nice photos over to the Deargs and Fannichs, glad your back is better, returning to full fitness just as the season starts :clap: :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Was looking forward to seeing this and it looks better than it sounds. Good it was firmer going with the frost - M and I must do it soon! Glad the back held up. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:27 pm

NIce pics :D
Ive still a lot of corbetts to do up that way thats one of them cheers for posting

What type of rucksack did you get ?
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:10 pm

I always feel sentimental about this one, it was my very first Corbett and my first winter climb as well :D It seems it's still as boggy as I remember...

Great hill for a comeback and a cracking viewpoint, too!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby onsen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Cool, wide expansive views....lovely.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby mamoset » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Great comeback Huff, love the second pic :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm on the look out for more easy 'back strengthening trips' - so open to suggestions :lol:

DP - you and Moira will sail up this one - and given your ability to pick good days - enjoy the views :lol:

MT - the back is a Lowe Alpine AirZone Quest 27 - very neat and light, I hadn't realised how heavy my old one was - I thought it was just that I took too much stuff with me :shock:

BP - glad to see I'm not the only person who gets sentimental about hills - my weakness is Dreish and Mayar - probably because I've been up them so often - they were our kids first munros :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Sounds like 'sail' might be the operative word! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby litljortindan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Great views of the hills around. Glad to hear you're recovering.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:12 pm

dogplodder wrote:Sounds like 'sail' might be the operative word! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Nice one. This is a good wee hill (albeit one with an unfeasibly long name), just right for occasions such as this. And a brilliant location as well with great views to some iconic peas of the NW Highlands. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland