walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee daytrip to Corrour

Wee daytrip to Corrour

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:25 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Corbetts included on this walk: Leum Uilleim

Date walked: 08/11/2014

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1152m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Climbed these 2 hills during the WH Tyndrum Meet in November with Thebaldfalcon, GillC, Tomsie and Mary. Took the train from Tyndrum Upper to Corrour Train Station. £16 return on the train. 50 mins on the train each way. ( 10.30am -11.21am)

We followed the track from the train station down towards Loch Ossian.
P1040695.jpg
The start down the track from the station

A faint path was picked up on the left not far from Loch Ossian.
We followed this path across grassy terrain and boggy in parts and then headed northeast up the ridge
P1040696.jpg
Over to Beinn na Lap

P1040697.jpg
Loch ossian

P1040701.jpg
Heading over the boggy grass to the ridge

P1040702.jpg

The path is easy going up the ridge, it then plateaus and then a small lochan is reached before a small climb up towards Beinn na Lap.
P1040705.jpg
thebaldfalcon getting tired

P1040704.jpg
the lochan

We stopped at the summit for lunch and a wee summit picture and then headed back passed the lochan.
P1040707.jpg
summit of Beinn na Lap

We headed southwest down the ridge towards the path. Once at the path thebaldfalcon and I decided on walking the Corbett Leum Uilleim also as we had enough time before catching the train back to corrour.
We left the path and found a bridge over the Allt a’ Chamabhreac.
P1040708.jpg
the bridge at the start of the corbett LU

P1040710.jpg

P1040713.jpg
hurry up :)

Once over we headed up An Diollaid towards Toman Eoin. The climb up towards the Corbett was much more strenuous than the climb up the previous munro.
P1040714.jpg

We followed the ridge and headed up towards Beinn a’ Bhric and then east towards Leum Uilleim. Looking over towards Glencoe the sun was setting and the skies were spectacular, maybe no so on my wee camera.
P1040716.jpg
towards Glencoe

When we reached the summit of Leum Uilleim it was in clag and just about to get dark.
P1040719.jpg
Summit of Leum Uilleum

P1040721.jpg
summit pic

After a quick picture each, I took a bearing and we headed northeast along the ridge hoping to see the train station in the distance. Once leaving the ridge and starting the descent, darkness fell and there was no sign of lights at the train station. Then we noticed a flashing torch in the distance – Gill letting us know that we were on the right path. Cheers Gill
The descent back to the station was horrendous in the dark. We were on and off the path on numerous occasions and ive never fell down so many holes in my life.
P1040722.jpg
back to base. thankfully

P1040726.jpg
Corrour

Got back to the station with half an hour to kill before the 6.25pm train. Can believe they don’t open the restaurant until after 630pm. Seems a bit of a waste as they could have made some money. Just as well the Glaswegians stashed a wee bottle of merlot to toast our day on the train on the way home.
P1040727.jpg
Classy wine glasses

P1040729.jpg
Slainte. Gill was missing in action

Great day out. Thanks for the company

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Wee daytrip to Corrour

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:11 am

Was just thinking the other day that I'd like to get back to Corrour at some point - this is giving me ideas.
Enjoyed that - good to see you're keeping the others on their toes and not letting them slow up too much :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Planning a wee return to Corrour soon so thanks for this. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Lovely walk - I've been wondering about Ben na Lap as part of the rehabilitation process :lol: :lol: so many thanks for this. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:31 pm

Seems daft opening hotel 15 minutes before a train, especially at this time of year. Daft timetabling does exist though.

Walks look good. Have stayed at the youth hostel before and did the Munros to the south east in white out so nice to see some of the other surroundings.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 pm

rockhopper wrote: Enjoyed that - good to see you're keeping the others on their toes and not letting them slow up too much :wink: - cheers :)

Cheers. Some folk would tell it differently :D

dogplodder wrote:Planning a wee return to Corrour soon so thanks for this. :D
Cheers. I enjoyed these hills much better this time. It was pouring and severe gales the last time i was there :(

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely walk - I've been wondering about Ben na Lap as part of the rehabilitation process :lol: :lol: so many thanks for this. :D

Cheers HnP :)

litljortindan wrote:Seems daft opening hotel 15 minutes before a train, especially at this time of year. Daft timetabling does exist though.

Walks look good. Have stayed at the youth hostel before and did the Munros to the south east in white out so nice to see some of the other surroundings.

No, the Hotel/restaurant still wasnt open before the train left which i thought was daft. Ive never stayed the hostel. Stayed in the Tulloch one the last time i was in corrour
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:28 am

I did this (Na lap) in January thick snow ,one of the most magical days I have had on the hill and Leum Uilleam looks a belter, guess I 'll save that one till next Winter and keep clear of the bogs :D

Nice one :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 am

You just gave me an idea for a return journey :-) Walking in the dark can be so horrible...had an equal walk with probably falling in equally many holes :roll: But well done for getting the Corbett done at the same time. The wine glasses are great!! :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Tomsie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Didn't realize you had done a report MT, have to come on here more often.

That shelter at the top was awfully steep :lol:

GillC missing with her mate Hughey. :wink:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:05 am

Collaciotach wrote:I did this (Na lap) in January thick snow ,one of the most magical days I have had on the hill and Leum Uilleam looks a belter, guess I 'll save that one till next Winter and keep clear of the bogs :D

Nice one :clap:

Cheers Collaciotach. Leum uileam certainly is a belter :)

Mountainlove wrote:You just gave me an idea for a return journey :-) Walking in the dark can be so horrible...had an equal walk with probably falling in equally many holes :roll: But well done for getting the Corbett done at the same time. The wine glasses are great!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers Maja. Didnt want to risk breaking proper glasses :)

Tomsie wrote:Didn't realize you had done a report MT, have to come on here more often.

That shelter at the top was awfully steep :lol:
GillC missing with her mate Hughey. :wink:

Cheers Tomsie. I know Poor Gill :( A good day out none the less
mountain thyme
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland