walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 day round of Loch quioch

3 day round of Loch quioch

Postby Guinessman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Date walked: 01/05/2008

Distance: 67.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Didn't know whether to put this in this section or in the long distance section as it is a longer distance route. Perusing old photographs thought I would post a trip from back in 2008, a 3 and 1/2 day around the Loch Quioch area taking in the surrounding hills. Due to work set off in the evening from NE England late on and because of time limits did a overnight camp at the rear of the Kingshouse Glencoe and had a few beers. The drive to loch Quioch would have been too far, about 6 1/2 I reckon.

Drove up the next morning and parked on the rough ground just over the east dam. I've left the car here before and used it as a camping spot. The plan was to walk into Glen Kingie and wild camp as high as possible in the coire behind Sgurr Mor. Set off over the dam and pleasant fast walking made good progress through the forest into Glen Kingie to join the path that rises up the shoulder of Sgurr an Fhuarain and then drops into the glen. The wild camping spot was dictated by the need for water so I took what looked like the stream coming off the coire and climbed until I found a levelish spot and pitched the tent, quite badly as it turns out.

After pitching and dumping the pack went off up Sgurr an Fhuarain and onto Sgurr Mor and returned to the tent. Took a pic of Sgurr Na Ciche coming off Sgurr Mor

Next day, packed up and re climbed to the col coming off Sgurr Mor and continued along the ridge that goes over Sgurr Beag, An eag and onto Sgurr Na Coireachan and Garbh Chioch mhor, Sgurr na ciche. The picture is Sgurr na Ciche. It was a big day, with a pack and I was grateful of the high start.

I intended to camp overnight in the sourlies area and took the Druim a ghoirtein ridge down to sourlies

Picture of Loch nevis, sourlies bothy to the right. I camped next to the ruin next to the water, the bothy being full.

Next day I walked around the saltings over to carnoch bridge and continued up the glen taking shots of Sgurr na Ciche as I walked

The path continues up the glen and as marked on the map the path ends. My experience of the Knoydart area means that if the OS map has no path then there isn't one. I took a spur rising out of the river valley up to meet Bruce watts path then turned right to Lochan nam breac

I knew that evening there was a European champions league final on TV and had a loose plan to get back to the car in time to get back to Fort William and watch it. My route continued along to the west dam of Loch Quioch and then followed the shore line of the loch where there is rough path through the heather until it meets the Abhainn Chosaidh. I read about this burn before causing problems but on this occasion it was dry. The next section was pathless over the heather following the shoreline. Time was moving on and I realised it was too tight a schedule to get back for the football considering I had a 4/5 mile road walk as well to get back to the car, so I camped overnight with great views of the Loch Quioch hills.

Walked back to the car the next morning and switched on the mobile phone. As I travelled texts started coming through. Stopping to read them it appeared that a well meaning gamekeeper had reported the parked car to the local Constabulary causing the Constabulary for my home area to make the necessary enqs as to why the car was there. Got back to Glen Nevis for a much needed shower and a few well deserved beers.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: 3 day round of Loch quioch

Postby malky_c » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Enjoyed that - multi-day trips is what this area is best for :D .
Did something a little like this in 2004 using bothies:
www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6152
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Guinessman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks for that, your route looks good. Might give it a go as its been 3 years since I've been that way.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:39 am

Enjoyed that :thumbup: Had also originally planned a similar route to cover the hills to the south of the loch but in the end decided on a very long day from the south instead to cover Gairich to Sgurr na Ciche. As malky notes, great area formulti-days, would like to return some time but for a camp this time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Guinessman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:39 am

rockhopper wrote:Enjoyed that :thumbup: Had also originally planned a similar route to cover the hills to the south of the loch but in the end decided on a very long day from the south instead to cover [url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33834</span>]Gairich to Sgurr na Ciche[/url]. As malky notes, great area formulti-days, would like to return some time but for a camp this time - cheers :)

That is an awesome effort and great pictures. looking at yours has really whetted my appetite, I must get back there this year.

Your right about the path going over the pass from Strathan marked on the OS map as being before the stream, its simply not there but is about 60yrds further beyond the stream
Guinessman
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland