walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meallach Mhor a very distant Corbett but worth it!

Meallach Mhor a very distant Corbett but worth it!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Route description: Meallach Mhòr and Croidh-la, Glen Tromie

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 21/02/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22.6 km

Ascent: 762m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

AMC meet at Feshiebridge meant some members went off Skiing but the more adventurous went for the long walk in along Glen Tromie, most of it as we found out later was surfaced in tarmac, hard on the feet, ouch! We set off from the hostel at Feshiebridge, travelled on the B970 until we came to Tromie Bridge where about a hundred yards beyond is sufficient space for parking about three cars at the roadside. It was bright and sunny yet cold but with the forecast of heavy snow in the afternoon so a plan was hatched, walk swiftly on the track beside the River Tromie until reaching Bhran Cottage and then make our way up on the West shoulder of Meallach Mhor to the summit assuming the weather had not closed in by then.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The sign that greeted us at the start of the walk at Tromie Bridge
2.JPG
Some nice drystane dyking en route
3.JPG
Further on along the road passing another dwelling with a private use at your own risk bridge
3a.JPG
Glentromie Lodge on the other side of the river, impressive!
4.JPG
A blot on the landscape or what, guess it's been built for sleeping accommodation for the shooting parties. Lynaberack Lodge
5.JPG
An old cottage used as storage by the estate, where we were to have a wee break and a cuppa and a meet up with the rest of the walking group
6.JPG
Party time and the group photo pose
7.JPG
Our first sight of the Corbett to be climbed, with Bhran Cottage on the right, and more importantly Blue Skies
8.JPG
Looking back down to Bhran Cottage and the formed fishing loch
9.JPG
More snow the higher you get making the going that little bit harder, looking back towards Meall Chuaich
10.JPG
Looking over Loch an t-Seilich and Gaick Lodge on it's shoreline
12.JPG
View from the summit cairn over Loch an t-Seilich
13.JPG
View from the summit cairn looking towards Meall Chuaich
14.JPG
Now who's this coming from the other direction?
15.JPG
We are to be heading over towards Coire Bhealaich behind Meallach Bheag to get some shelter from the icy wind from the West, in the middle of picture, on the right is Croidh-la 640m
16.JPG
Looking down into the Glen and the cottage we had a break at on our walk in, the final section being a lot drier than earlier
17.JPG
Looking down the river Tromie from where we rejoined the track
18.JPG
The falls at the Road Bridge over the River Tromie
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Meallach Mhor a very distant Corbett but worth it!

Postby jmarkb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Nice! Looks like less of a heathery horror than the route from Carn Dearg Mor...
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:27 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice! Looks like less of a heathery horror than the route from Carn Dearg Mor...

Great hill day jmarkb, ideal walking conditions, pity about so much tarmac but you cannot have everything. Hope to do Carn Dearg Mor and the other from Feshie, is that the way you went?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:48 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hope to do Carn Dearg Mor and the other from Feshie, is that the way you went?

Yes, did Carn Dearg Mor + Meallach Mor from Glen Feshie, pretty rough between the two summits but otherwise easy going on tracks and paths. Have also done CDM on its own in winter (same approach), and been up Glen Tromie as far as Lynaberack and back over Croidh-la.

For Leathaid an Taobhain, we cycled in on the west side of Glen Feshie as far as Ruigh-fiontaig, then walked a circuit up the Slochd Mor track and back down the Slochd Beag path.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:39 pm

Nice one to check off Rod, a bike may come in handy here, although that's another bit of equipment I don't currently have :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby PeteR » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Nice one Rod. Did this myself last year and enjoyed great views down the Gaik Pass :D

Looks good in snow too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:18 am

PeteR wrote:Nice one Rod. Did this myself last year and enjoyed great views down the Gaik Pass :D

Hi Pete, did you bike or walk? I thought it was a track not a surfaced road, it seems to better condition the further you go, strange. Yes I agree the views from the summit made it all worthwhile, I would have liked to have come back over alon g the summit ridge though. :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby PeteR » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:21 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
PeteR wrote:Nice one Rod. Did this myself last year and enjoyed great views down the Gaik Pass :D

Hi Pete, did you bike or walk? I thought it was a track not a surfaced road, it seems to better condition the further you go, strange. Yes I agree the views from the summit made it all worthwhile, I would have liked to have come back over alon g the summit ridge though. :(

The use of artificial aids were not employed from the starting point of the walk Rod :lol: :lol: I believe I am termed a "purist".

I did walk back along the ridge though. I'd seen it described as a bit of a rough route, but I quite enjoyed it.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:25 pm

PeteR wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

The use of artificial aids were not employed from the starting point of the walk Rod :lol: :lol: I believe I am termed a "purist".

I did walk back along the ridge though. I'd seen it described as a bit of a rough route, but I quite enjoyed it.

That's what I like to hear :clap: :clap: :D :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Lovely landscape in winter conditions :D I always felt that this hill was underrated...especially the Tromie approach. Well worth a separate outing.

We also returned along the ridge when we climbed this Corbett, added two tops, Clach-mheall and Croidh-la, to the traverse, but we had a long summer day for this walk.

I think Carn Dearg Mor is best done from Glen Feshie together with Leathaid an Taobhain... 33km, but almost all of it on good tracks. But midges from Feshie are the worst ever :shock: They have no mercy...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Nice one to check off Rod, a bike may come in handy here, although that's another bit of equipment I don't currently have :lol:

Hi Beaner, a bike would be very useful if you were thinking the three Corbetts, a big day but would save you loads of time. The road better for bike than feet :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:19 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Lovely landscape in winter conditions :D I always felt that this hill was underrated...especially the Tromie approach. Well worth a separate outing.

We also returned along the ridge when we climbed this Corbett, added two tops, Clach-mheall and Croidh-la, to the traverse, but we had a long summer day for this walk.

I think Carn Dearg Mor is best done from Glen Feshie together with Leathaid an Taobhain... 33km, but almost all of it on good tracks. But midges from Feshie are the worst ever :shock: They have no mercy...

I was hoping to do the ridge but my walking partner was suffering with blisters from the long walk in so we cut it short :( I'm hoping to do the other two from Feshie as you say, better try and avoid the midge hell though. I appear to following in the Black Panthers paw steps again :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Looks like a good clear day :)
I take it you caould cycle the full track ? Maybe save about 3 hours ?
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:21 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Looks like a good clear day :)
I take it you caould cycle the full track ? Maybe save about 3 hours ?

A bike would be the answer and maybe get more than one, most of the road/track was good surface especially the last section, go for it.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:38 am

Was just thinking the same that a bike approach (probably better in summer) would be great.
Great photos and it still looks like a pleasant hill to do :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland