walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking with ghosts: Epilogue (Part 2)

Walking with ghosts: Epilogue (Part 2)

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 05/07/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my day of bagging grim Sub2Ks around Muirkirk and Douglas, I headed for Tinto. I could have headed straight home but I'd only have had to go back to Bothwell the following day to collect Ailsa from my mother-in-law, so I was as well staying south and squeezing another hill in on the Saturday morning before heading for Bothwell (or Paisley and my sister-in-law's place as it transpired).

After a pretty uniformly dreich day, it turned into a quite pleasant summer evening as I headed for Lanark in search of a Chinese takeaway. In possession of said takeaway, I then headed for the big car park at Fallburn for the Tinto tourist route. It was now a lovely evening so I pulled a deckchair from the boot of the car and pulled it up beside the drivers door where I scoffed the takeaway and polished off a couple of cans of lager while listening to Colombia lying down to a **** poor Brazil team in the Quarter Finals of the World Cup on the radio.

A nice evening to sit in a car park, eat Chinese takeaway, drink beer and listen to football on the radio

Sunset

Once the food, beer and football was finished, I took my tent over to a grassy patch by the start of the path up Tinto, shook it down and pitched for the night.

I slept like a log after the exertions of the previous couple of days and awoke to a decent looking morning. I quickly packed up and had a bite of breakfast and headed off early before the inevitable Saturday morning crowds descended on the Tinto Tourist Route.

A selection of pics from the straight up and down.......

One last hill before my southern adventure ends

Back down to the car park at Fallburn

Motorway into the mist

Summit appearing through the clag

View back down whence I came

View indicator

Last summit of a successful trip

Views? What views?

Grey rocks, blue skies and white clouds

Graffiti artists manage to get up here!

Clearing

Heading home

Last look

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland