walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh

Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby kevsbald » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 09/02/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the disappointment of the no-go show on Beinn a Ghlo, Shaz and I decided to tick this solitary Munro off and test out the ice axes etc, purchased at Christmas. Meall Ghaordaidh, wasn't far from Killin and we presumed it would be quite a 'gentle' hill in Winter - while there was no snow at road level, we were soon to meet quite a bit halfway up the hill. For the last 1/3 of the hill, we were trudging through thigh-deep snow and it was quite arduous though very enjoyable. Before we reached the summit, a returning walker warned us that it was quite windy at the top. He wisnae wrang. We walked into a Northerly arctic blast and stood getting photos for all of 10 seconds before about turning and getting back below the summit.
summit.JPG
Baltic man!
Thank god for 'windproof' garments. A very unusual ice formation had formed on the OS trigpoint and it was quite beautiful -is this a rime ice formation?
Rimeice.JPG
Rime ice?
We made our way back down, me testing my ice axe and generally faffing aboot. Back to the car, a wee pint on the way back to Dunblane and then hame. Another grand day in the Scottish hills.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm

We re off to do the same this Saturday hope the snows still there cant wait to see that trig point ,buy the way what are the views like :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby goth_angel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 pm

Very cool pictures of the trig point.

Did you need crampons - presumably not if it was deep powder?
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:26 am

LOL - there's some guy stood on the triggy for too long in that windchill! That's what the thing on top of it is! :lol:

I'm planning to do that, the two to the left of it (I'm at work and can't remember what they're called), and also a couple opposite (Beinn Cheataich is one of the tops but I can only remember that 'cos I call it Ben Cheetah! :D ) in a couple of weeks. What was the Glen Lochay road like for snow and ice? (I know it's rough as hell and I remember my car hated it for that reason!).
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:45 am

Hi guys,

the views across to the Lawers Range and Tarmachan were good but my camera wasn't powerful enough to get really good 'Doogz' like photos.

The road down to that point is fine but if you go further along to do Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich, Mountain Cowards, beware of the huge divots, just before the parking area. They were almost a foot deep, when I was there in November.

Gothangel, didn't need crampons as the snow was very deep. But that wind.....oocha.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks kevsbald looking forward to Saturday even more now hope its clear ,if i get some good photos I might try a report myself for the first time its great when you can come on to this site and draw on other peoples experiences of the same hills so much better than just having the guide book :)
cjwaugh

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 am

Hmmm - thanks for that but, I have to ask - what's a divot? I probably should know...
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:32 am

A divot is a lump of ground/grass howked out.
Usually applied in golf terms but thought it was apt.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 am

Ugh! the car will love it... NOT! Poor ol' thing... oh well - thanks for the info anyway
mountain coward

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi Kev this is the summit picture from last Saturday i was going to have a go at a report but all my pictures had this sort of visibility no mad ice configuration anymore what a difference a few weeks can make :D
Meall Ghaordie 14.2.09 014.jpg
cjwaugh

Postby kevsbald » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi cj,

damn bad luck with the visibility.
I'm also surprised the rime ice formation isn't on the trigpoint anymore.
Looks like it was an 'interesting' day. Did you have a lot deep snow just before the final 100m?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby cjwaugh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:45 am

It wasn't that deep it was mostly cloud all the way up but at the top it was white out :)
cjwaugh

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland