walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beinn ghlass & lawers (not quite)

beinn ghlass & lawers (not quite)

Postby delberto » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas

Date walked: 17/04/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Greetings...

Decided to go up Ghlass and lawers today from the visitors centre.
The outlook wasnt too bad as the temp at the visitors centre showed 12 degrees.
Not much of a wind to note at the time. Visibility was not too bad but cloud covered the last few hundred feet of ghlass and lawers.

Set off as described in the route and headed up the nature trail. Path clearly seen and in good condition. No mishaps then got to the main gate which leads to the main part of the climb away from the nature reserve.

Through the gate and then a steady plod or in my case a not so steady plod onwards and upwards.
S5001752.JPG
Gate leaving the reserve looking onto the start of ghlass

As i went on there was a few scattered snow/ice patches still.
The wind then really started to pick up and vis started to drop. Sleet stated and stung at my face from this point on.
Being a trooper i plodded on deftly (daftly) and made my way to the summit of bein ghlass.

Stopped and had a look over to lawers and couldnt make out the summit. It was blowing big style at this point, so i scoffed my cheese pieces and plodded over to the base of lawers. It isnt a big distance to cover from Ghlass to Lawers. Upon getting to Lawers i saw some expierience mountatineer types having a sit down and contemplating wheather or not to go up. My heroics soon dried up and my sphynchter muscles started to give way a little. I did a quick 180 and marched back up to Ghlass.
As a novice It was tempting to notch up my 6th munro and do Lawers. However, its best to be prudent when your unsure of your capabilities and do an about turn. :(

Very disapointed that i couldnt get up Lawers. Its becoming a bit of a habbit now that i nearly do a munro and for one reason or another have to be sensible and turn about. Maybe my cheese pieces arent lucky enough... maybe i should change to spam or some exotic type of meat instead.

Hope you like the pics. Nice walk if its good weather.
Any hoosewives out there, if you take a clothes pole up to the summit of Ghlass today your washing would be dried withing a couple of mins. :lol:
Attachments
S5001738.JPG
me at the summit contemplating being blown off Lawers in cloud...
S5001741.JPG
nice view from the top
S5001726.JPG
not for me im a feeertyyy !!!
S5001720.JPG
looking back down towards killin and the visitors centre
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: beinn ghlass & lawers (not quite)

Postby Raymond » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:52 pm

well done ya big feerty :clap:

maybe next time - that's all i keep saying to you, :lol:
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Don"t worry big man they will be there the next time,best thing is you wont need to go over Beinn Ghlas to get to Ben Lawers,before you start the climb onto Beinn Ghlas a path skirts the NW slopes into Coire Odhar and meets the high bealach between Lawers and Ghlas,if you feel fit on the way back you could always try and climb Meall Corranaich from Coire Odhar then descend the way you came back to the NTS carpark :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Milesy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Unfortunately both the last times I went up Lawers they were thwarted by the weather. It is a bastard of a hill!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby delberto » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:02 pm

yes milesy- i couldnt agree with you more mate :D
will do lawers from a different route next time i think.

ta
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby delberto » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:04 pm

your suggestion sounds good gammylegwalker. im going to look into that.
thanks
del
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby Freewheelin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:51 pm

don't worry about it mate - me and my daughter were blown off it on a nice sunny July day a couple of years ago.
:D
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby brizo67 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Me and my mate Dave did Ben Ghlas and Lawyers last year,Ithough Ben Ghlas was tough going,its steep and a few false tops.The ridge over to Lawyers would have been great if you could see anything,we were unlucky with the weather too,not with snow but rain and low cloud,when we did manage to summit Lawyers it was very cold and again not a lot of views.We did'nt go back the way we came we took the route through into Coire Odhar which was much easier,next time we do Ben Lawyers were definately taking this route up and then down Ben Ghlas.
brizo67
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Good effort, and well done for turning back. I've done the same recently on 2 outings - only summited 1 hill, it should have been 3. The mountains aint going anywhere.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby delberto » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:19 pm

good to know im not the only one affected by the weather out there. a few suggested routes for me to consider now. I thought Ghlass was not too bad to get up.I went down the ridge right to the bottom of lawers and then turned back- very tempting to go up though.
Thinking about stuc a chroin next weekend- anyone done that? went up vorlich last year and will probably go up from the start point at loch earn(south).any suggestions?
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi big man,why don"t you try Stuc a" Chroin from Glen Ample,this gives you the chance to bag a wee corbett called Beinn Each also,you could also try and pick up from any good book shop 2 wee books I use as a reference from Cicerone called Walking The Munros split into 2 volumes,with you just starting out on your walking get volume 1 which covers South,Central and West Highlands,good luck :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Tenbob » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:12 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Walking The Munros split into 2 volumes,with you just starting out on your walking get volume 1 which covers South,Central and West Highlands,good luck :)

I'll second that.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2

Postby monty » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Delberto,
The forecast strong winds meant I called of my Saturday walk at 1830 on Friday night and got **** instead :lol:
Good effort though
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland