walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 seasons in 6 hours

4 seasons in 6 hours

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:43 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag an Dail Bheag, Culardoch

Date walked: 08/03/2015

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 25.5 km

Ascent: 1080m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yet again the weather forecasters were trying to get us to head east, forecast in the west was for rain, rain and more rain so east was the place to head. My plan was to tackle Ben Avon and her neighbour, I was planning to take my bike so Friday was spent cleaning the bike of 3 months of dust and removing the front wheel ready for the journey north :wink:
So I was all prepared and really looking forward to the day until social media stepped in to throw a spanner into the works :lol: Rod (Rodmeister) had posted a link on FB from Braemar MRT who issued a warning about the state of the path in Gleann an t-Slugain, due to snow melt etc :( Change of plan was called for :wink:
There were a couple of posts in the 'meets' section, a very long walk tackling a couple of Munro's Beinn Bhreac and her neighbour or a couple of Corbett's Culardoch and Carn Liath, so I studied the OS maps and opted for a Corbett Sunday. My concern was snow melt on the path approaching Beinn Bhreac and burns interfering with the walk :lol:
I informed Gary (backpacker) that I would tag along and keep him company and shortly after received a PM from Cat (cmarcol) asking to tag along as well.
Gary was planning to set off at second light 8am, so I arranged to uplift Cat at 5.45am as I guesstimated the trip to Braemar would take a couple of hours :lol: As it turned out and not surprising really, there were very few other idiots driving north at silly o'clock and we arrived at the car park at Keiloch before 7.30 :lol:
Gary turned up almost bang on 8am and proceeded to park his car on top of my walking poles, he had to reverse briefly whilst I retrieved my vital equipment, plastic end was a bit squashed otherwise undamaged :lol: :lol:
The start of the day was greeted by rain/drizzle so it was waterproof jackets etc on and we set off along the tarmac road.
This didn't look very promising but we soldiered on walking along the very good track, as we started to climb gradually, the rain turned to snow but it was easing and there wasn't a breath of wind :lol:

DSCF8670.JPG
Large car park, £2.50 charge, note the wet surface

DSCF8673.JPG
Nice tarmac surface to start, Cat opting for odd boots. Note the debris, proof that the wind has been busy

DSCF8676.JPG
Cat opted for matching pink trail shoes, Gary emptying his rucksack, not much in there to start with

DSCF8678.JPG
First of a few snow patches, Cat emptying her rucksack

Things were improving weather wise, however there was still plenty of clag hiding the surrounding higher ground, the good news was that a small section of blue sky was spotted briefly :lol:

DSCF8679.JPG
Typical Cairngorm 'trail', note the low cloud

DSCF8685.JPG
The heather farm is still in situ

DSCF8686.JPG
We need more heather?

DSCF8690.JPG
Culardoch - blue sky with low cloud lingering

We encountered a couple of snow patches covering the track, but the snow was firm and easily crossed :wink:
Eventually Culardoch appeared, then disappeared and appeared again and the final ascent to the summit was easy over short heather that was covered with a very recent sprinkling of snow.

DSCF8699.JPG
The easy ascent up Culardoch, note the fresh sprinkling

DSCF8703.JPG
Looking across to Loch Builg, first half decent view, but still low cloud

DSCF8706.JPG
Pose to prop up the trig

DSCF8710.JPG
Zoom to Loch Builg, looks nice and blue

DSCF8711.JPG
Looking across to Ben Avon

DSCF8713.JPG
Looking across to Carn Liath

DSCF8715.JPG
Zoom to one of the tors on Avon, plenty of snow

DSCF8724.JPG
Zoom to Lochnagar

After taking a few photo's we then started the descent, Cat had decided she wasn't up to tackling the next Corbett so it was up to the men to brave the elements :lol: :lol:

DSCF8725.JPG
Looking back to Culardoch, heather farm in the foreground

DSCF8726.JPG
Panorama shot

DSCF8729.JPG
The local residents

The initial climb up towards Carn Liath was easy, a couple of snow fields to cross, but the main problem was about to be the weather :(

DSCF8731.JPG
Snow pose on the ascent up Carn Liath

As we neared the brow of the summit plateau, the wind picked up and we were then battered by hailstones.
We had a cunning plan - big thanks to Russell (RTC) for advising us that Carn Liath may soon be demoted to a top and the Corbett would be Creag an Dail Bheag, so we had decided to head to that summit first and that was by far the most difficult part of the day. We were easy targets for the very strong wind which was carrying snow and hail, so once we reached the summit it was a quick check around to make sure we were on the highest bit and then head straight across to Carn Liath. Both these plateau's have a couple of cairns which in poor visibility would definitely cause confusion :lol: We were confused and we could see where we were going :lol:
There is a large stane wall on the left hand side as you approach Carn Liath and we would follow that down the ridge on our descent.

DSCF8743.JPG
One of the few photo's taken on the Carn Liath plateau, camera spent lots of time in my rucksack

DSCF8747.JPG
Snow melt and the burn to cross

DSCF8748.JPG
A tree, note the blue sky

DSCF8752.JPG
Another tree, even I couldn't lose that path!

We eventually reached the point where the descent got a bit tricky, which involved a teeny weeny bit of scrambling, then it was a clamber over a small boulder field. As we could see the track in the distance it was just a matter of picking our way through snow melt, peat hags and eventually crossing a small fast flowing burn. After that it was just a matter of strolling along the track admiring the views and constantly checking our phone/GPS to see if we were getting any nearer to the cars :lol:
After 5 and a half hours we arrived back at the car park, a very enjoyable day and another 2 Corbett's conquered. I doubt if there are 2 easier Corbett's, even though 25km is quite a distance, the ascent was easy :wink:
Big thanks to Gary and Cat for being great company, hope you weren't too scared with my driving Cat, maybe you are getting used to it :lol: :lol:
Next :wink:
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 4 seasons in 6 hours

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Nice one Martin, looking forward to these two. Were you jogging this one? quick time that!! :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:03 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Nice one Martin, looking forward to these two. Were you jogging this one? quick time that!! :clap:

Mathematical error on the time :lol: :lol: Now amended :wink: We weren't hanging around, strong wind & hailstones does kind of make you move a wee bit quicker :lol:
If you have a bike it is worth considering, would save you from jogging :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby cmarcol » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Looking at the map I'm thinking I should have just sucked it up and joined you two.... Then I remember the rain, the snow and the wind :lol:

Well done guys!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:39 pm

cmarcol wrote:Looking at the map I'm thinking I should have just sucked it up and joined you two.... Then I remember the rain, the snow and the wind :lol: Well done guys!

I did say it looked easy :wink: and it would have been if the wind hadn't picked up :lol:

RTC wrote:With all the hills you've done this winter you must be fighting fit, Martin.

I would say I am probably fitter than I have ever been :wink: Thanks for the heads up Russell regarding the impending 'new Corbett' :clap: That was the toughest part of the walk :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:40 pm

A good TR Martin, that track makes for fast walking, a nice easy gradient for most of the way. As RTC says your going to be really hill fit for the Durness meet, I'll have a hard job keeping up :lol: I'm heading up South Cairngorms in a couple of weeks must remember those river crossings. See you in about four weeks. Any thoughts on what your doing?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:56 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:A good TR Martin, that track makes for fast walking, a nice easy gradient for most of the way. As RTC says your going to be really hill fit for the Durness meet, I'll have a hard job keeping up :lol: I'm heading up South Cairngorms in a couple of weeks must remember those river crossings. See you in about four weeks. Any thoughts on what your doing?

I still think it will be me trying to keep up with you Rod :lol:
Hoping to tackle Fionaven and or Arkle, I notice they are still red on your map Rod :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Gle mhath :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:04 am

Well done and nice photos from the day :clap: :clap: :)
I see, we were in the same area the same day :D just across the A93...If You could use more zoom on the Lochnagar, you could see me there greeting you - waving from the summit :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :D
Report from the sunday - Lochnagar posted a few mins. ago :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland