walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ennerdale Afternoon

Ennerdale Afternoon

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Borne, Starling Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Borne, Starling Dodd

Date walked: 14/02/2015

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 810m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We arrived at Boness Knott car park on the first day of our half term week in the Lakes. Despite the fact we were a little later than hoped I was confident that our fairly modest target of the day (Great Bourne and Starling Dodd) should be easily doable in the time we had. This was the second time we'd set off this way with the previous time ending at around 420m as the wind and horizontal sleet sent us packing. No such troubles this time other than the steepness on what was a wonderful winters day.

ImageLooking across to Crag Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking down on Routen Farm by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHigh up by The crags of Herdus by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Hard work over, walking over the tops was wonderful as we passed the minor top of Herdus before making our way to the bouldery dome of Great Bourne for a late lunch. Views to Great Gable and Pillar were fantastic and this was joined by a fine view of Grasmoor and the North Western Fells as we made our way to the high point of the day, Starling Dodd.

ImageHerdus by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGreat Borne by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageOn the way to Starling Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageOnwards and upwards by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrassmoor and Crummock Water by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageStarling Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGable and Pillar by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageFriends on Starling Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Following a brief pause to enjoy the views we headed off to the minor top of Little Dodd (via a large snow patch) to descend very steeply back down to the restricted road through Ennerdale. This route starts with a grassy path in a gully before turning into a scree run that gives a fairly rapid way down.

ImageLarking about in the snow by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSteep way down by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImagePillar and Steeple by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We hadn't seen a single soul all day at this point but broke the spell by mentioning it and were promptly joined by a large group heading to the hostel at High Gillerthwaite. We were soon along again however and thoroughly enjoyed the walk back along the lake side as the sun went down giving us some beautiful colours to go with the reflections in Ennerdale.

ImageEnnerdale Evening by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageReflecting on the day by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageEnnerdale Sunset by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageAnglers Crag Sunset by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Ennerdale Afternoon

Postby trailmasher » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Great pics on a good day and decent walk. Nice, quiet, and easy stress free place to be for a day out.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby colgregg » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Some great pics and a couple of good and underrated summits. Most folk do the three high Stile tops and turn back down to Buttermere, ignoring these. You are only 2 Wainy's behind me now and definitely looks like you'll complete well before me. Well done.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby simon-b » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Great view of Pillar and Steeple on that way down from Starling Dodd.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:17 pm

trailmasher wrote:Great pics on a good day and decent walk. Nice, quiet, and easy stress free place to be for a day out.

Cheers, I like the relative quite of the Western fells.

colgregg wrote:Some great pics and a couple of good and underrated summits. Most folk do the three high Stile tops and turn back down to Buttermere, ignoring these. You are only 2 Wainy's behind me now and definitely looks like you'll complete well before me. Well done.

They are indeed fine tops with some great views, we should finish by late summer. Our remaining fells are mostly well grouped, we could finish in 9 walks if we pushed but 11 of 12 is more likely. I notice your fells are quite scattered.

simon-b wrote:Great view of Pillar and Steeple on that way down from Starling Dodd.

Certainty was Simon.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:30 pm

I may have to resort to a few drive, walk, drive, walk days, JK. Pointless heading over the lakes merely to do single fells such a Holme Fell. Green Fell in Eskdale is the problem one. Kicking myself for not picking up on it being a Wainwright when I was over there camping.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:22 pm

colgregg wrote:I may have to resort to a few drive, walk, drive, walk days, JK. Pointless heading over the lakes merely to do single fells such a Holme Fell. Green Fell in Eskdale is the problem one. Kicking myself for not picking up on it being a Wainwright when I was over there camping.

I've done that a few times for smaller fells, the thought of driving over the Lakes to climb Armboth Fell then come home is not exactly a big attraction.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:30 am

Wow - some really fine pics there :clap: :clap: :clap: , and a great day's weather you had. The views of Pillar are wonderful.

I did a Wastwater horseshoe just 5 days later on 19th Feb, pretty well all of it in clag! Views like the ones you had of Pillar etc were exactly what I'd been hoping for :(

I'm hoping that third time will be lucky...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:40 am

Now that is what you call a great start to a weeks holiday JK, lovely shots as always with some real stunners at the close of day :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:49 pm

ChrisW wrote:Now that is what you call a great start to a weeks holiday JK, lovely shots as always with some real stunners at the close of day :clap:

Thanks Chris :D

Alteknacker wrote:Wow - some really fine pics there :clap: :clap: :clap: , and a great day's weather you had. The views of Pillar are wonderful.

I did a Wastwater horseshoe just 5 days later on 19th Feb, pretty well all of it in clag! Views like the ones you had of Pillar etc were exactly what I'd been hoping for :(

I'm hoping that third time will be lucky...

Thank you very much. Pillar is my favourite fell, mainly by virtue of the route from Ennerdale using the shamrock traverse, so I was made up with the views. Keep coming back to the western fells, more than worth it once you get a day without clag.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland