walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

viewranger

viewranger


Postby sonic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi folks
After commenting on another thread about gps namely "buying a gps" I have downloaded viewranger with a view to trying it this weekend on the hills. Got a question though how do you purchase maps can you do it through the app or do you need to open a viewranger account and how do you know how much they cost

cheers sonic
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby ptc* » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:13 pm

You can do it in the app. Click on the menu icon, top left on my phone, and you get a store option with various options in there.
User avatar
ptc*
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: viewranger

Postby electricfly » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Before you go and purchase any maps, try it out using the free "open cycle map" in the map menu.

I find that the best way to operate with Viewranger is to save GPX route files from walkhighlands to a folder on your pc.
Set up a Viewranger account (free) using your pc, and follow the instructions to import the GPX files to your account.

When you have done this. Open your viewranger app on your mobile and syncro it. This will then transfer those new routes to your mobile.

Before heading out to do the route, make sure to open and view it on your mobile in "open cycle map" mode while still at home with your broadband switched on. Zoom in to the desired scale and your mobile will then download all the map detail.

This saves your mobile trying to download map detail while out on the hills.

All fairly hassle-free and no need to pay for maps. :wink:
User avatar
electricfly
 
Posts: 1657
Munros:282   Corbetts:29
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Joined: Mar 19, 2012

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:44 pm

ptc* wrote:You can do it in the app. Click on the menu icon, top left on my phone, and you get a store option with various options in there.


Cheers ptc have found it thanks
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:13 pm

The most flexible option is to buy map credit, then you can download maps by the tile, so you only get the bits you need and not a load of stuff you don't. To do that, just to to Options and Get Tiles.
User avatar
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Aug 18, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:15 pm

electricfly wrote:Before you go and purchase any maps, try it out using the free "open cycle map" in the map menu.

I find that the best way to operate with Viewranger is to save GPX route files from walkhighlands to a folder on your pc.
Set up a Viewranger account (free) using your pc, and follow the instructions to import the GPX files to your account.

When you have done this. Open your viewranger app on your mobile and syncro it. This will then transfer those new routes to your mobile.

Before heading out to do the route, make sure to open and view it on your mobile in "open cycle map" mode while still at home with your broadband switched on. Zoom in to the desired scale and your mobile will then download all the map detail.

This saves your mobile trying to download map detail while out on the hills.

All fairly hassle-free and no need to pay for maps. :wink:


Thats seem quite a good idea and have downloaded a gpx route into it without using a pc. Opened up this site and downloaded the gpx track straight to my mobile, will try it tomorrow an see how it goes

cheers :D
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:06 am

Michael Thomson wrote:The most flexible option is to buy map credit, then you can download maps by the tile, so you only get the bits you need and not a load of stuff you don't. To do that, just to to Options and Get Tiles.


Thanks Michael
Have found that now as well, looking forward to trying it out on the hill tomorrow
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:16 pm

sonic wrote:
electricfly wrote:Before you go and purchase any maps, try it out using the free "open cycle map" in the map menu.

I find that the best way to operate with Viewranger is to save GPX route files from walkhighlands to a folder on your pc.
Set up a Viewranger account (free) using your pc, and follow the instructions to import the GPX files to your account.

When you have done this. Open your viewranger app on your mobile and syncro it. This will then transfer those new routes to your mobile.

Before heading out to do the route, make sure to open and view it on your mobile in "open cycle map" mode while still at home with your broadband switched on. Zoom in to the desired scale and your mobile will then download all the map detail.

This saves your mobile trying to download map detail while out on the hills.

All fairly hassle-free and no need to pay for maps. :wink:


Thats seem quite a good idea and have downloaded a gpx route into it without using a pc. Opened up this site and downloaded the gpx track straight to my mobile, will try it tomorrow an see how it goes

cheers :D


Used this method today on Ben Vorlich worked brilliantly especially as the cloud came in and I couldn't see a thing, that wee blue line was quite reassuring. Desroyed the battery though, was out five hours and at the end of the walk had only 12% battery left. :D
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:34 pm

You can increase your battery life significantly by enabling 'aeroplane mode' (or 'flight mode' or whatever your phone calls it). For long days with mine I take a PowerMonkey and top the battery up with that.
User avatar
BobMcBob
Rambler
 
Posts: 1420
Munros:73   Corbetts:14
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   
Joined: Jul 26, 2011
Location: In a van, somewhere

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:08 am

BobMcBob wrote:You can increase your battery life significantly by enabling 'aeroplane mode' (or 'flight mode' or whatever your phone calls it). For long days with mine I take a PowerMonkey and top the battery up with that.


Cheers Bob
Will remember the flight mode tip for next time, been looking at the power monkey charger on internet, wondering what type you have and if you remember where you got yours. :D

Sonic
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:46 pm

I've got the PowerMonkey explorer. It does about 2 full charges on my phone before it needs to be recharged. I don't recall where I got it from but it's a good bet it was either direct from the powermonkey people, or Amazon.

BTW don't expect the provided tiny solar panel to put much charge into it.. You'll need a very bright sunny day and that might just about top it up if you're lucky. You can get much bigger panels but they're expensive. Sometimes I strap mine to the top my rucksac to top up the powermonkey when I'm not charging the phone, but it's not all that effective. USB cable into a car cigarette lighter adapter is the way to go :)
User avatar
BobMcBob
Rambler
 
Posts: 1420
Munros:73   Corbetts:14
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   
Joined: Jul 26, 2011
Location: In a van, somewhere

Re: viewranger

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:15 am

I found the Powermonkey was ok for the power to weight ratio, but the tails are a weak point, regular flexing on them makes them fail and the bespoke nature means it costs to replace them.

I've replaced it with a 15000mah Powergen job for £20 from Amazon. It will charge the phone for a week, so it's great for long back packs and it's bog standard USB cables so I don't have to fork out for proprietary tails.
User avatar
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Aug 18, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby tenohfive » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:26 pm

There are cheaper alternatives to Powermonkey - I've got lightweight Anker and Tecknet packs that do me fine. That being said on my last 3 day wild camp I turned off mobile data on my smartphone, used it for photo's and very occasionally consulting the map and still had more than half charge. So no need to go OTT on huge expensive battery packs if you know how to tinker with basic phone settings.
tenohfive
 
Posts: 780
Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   
Joined: Apr 23, 2012

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:52 am

Cheers Michael and tenohfive
Have checked these out as well as they are much more affordable than the power monkey.
Had considered carrying a second battery but have now dropped that idea as it means opening up the phone in what could be quite bad weather and of course switching it off in the middle of recording a route. :D
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:24 pm

The thing I like about the PowerMonkey Explorer over the others is it is super rugged and quite waterproof. Mine has been trodden on, left out in the rain overnight, and dropped halfway down Scafell where it came to rest in a puddle (it's a miracle I found it :D) and it's still working. I guess I'm happy to pay the clumsy tax :)
User avatar
BobMcBob
Rambler
 
Posts: 1420
Munros:73   Corbetts:14
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   
Joined: Jul 26, 2011
Location: In a van, somewhere

Next



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Gear and Equipment talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lewisjevons and 16 guests