walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arenig Fach and Moel Ysgyfarnogod

Arenig Fach and Moel Ysgyfarnogod

Postby andy63 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Arenig Fach, Foel Penolau, Moel Ysgyfarnogod

Date walked: 10/03/2015

Time taken: 5.25

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 860m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part1: Arenig Fach
Distance 6.7km, ascent 405m, time 2h 30m

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started from a car park on the west side of Llyn Celyn. The car park has a phone box and a WC.Opposite the car park there's a track leading up to a farm. I wasn't sure if it was OK to go up that way - it isn't shown as a right of way on the OS map.

Instead, I walked a little way up the road to where there was a 'public footpath' sign.Unfortunately there wasn't much of a footpath.I headed off in the general direction of the summit, and soon found myself having to cross a large area of very wet ground.

The approach to the summit of Arenig Fach is quite steep and there's a lot of thick heather. There's a bit of a path on the right hand side of the fence, but it's not a very good one, so it's a hard slog up to the top.

002 (640x480).jpg
Llyn Celyn

003 (640x480).jpg
Arenig Fach ascent

007 (640x480).jpg

009 (640x480).jpg
Arenig Fach summit

010 (640x480).jpg
Snowdon

012 (640x480).jpg
Arenig Fawr

On the way down I took a slightly different route, as I figured it could hardly be worse than the way I went up.
I followed a line of old fence posts leading away from the main summit fence near the stile.This turned into a good path leading down to the farm near the car park.

013 (640x480).jpg
Llyn Arenig Fach

I climbed over a gate and followed the track down past the farm buildings to the road.I'm still not sure if I was trespassing or not.However, if I had gone up through the farm it would have made the ascent a lot easier.

Part2: Foel Penolau and Moel Ysgyfarnogod
Distance 7.3km, ascent 459m, time 2h 45m

I then drove a few miles down the road to climb a tongue twister of a hill at the northern end of the Rhinog range.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked near the end of a minor road out of Trawsfynydd, near Cefn Clawdd farm. Just before the farm entrance there's a track which winds its way round to the base of the mountain.

015 (640x480).jpg
Moel Ysgyfarnogod and Foel Penolau

016 (640x480).jpg

From the end of the track it's a short but steep and rocky climb up the side of the hill.Before you get to the ridge there's a high stone wall blocking the way. I was about to start climbing over this (which would have been quite difficult) before I noticed a small gate further along.

018 (640x480).jpg
Foel Penolau

The Nuttall top of Foel Penolau is a rocky dome which needs a bit of easy scrambling.The main summit of Moel Ysgyfarnogod is a ore straightforward climb up a grassy slope.

021 (640x480).jpg
Foel Penolau summit

022 (640x480).jpg
Ysgyfarnogod summit

023 (640x480).jpg
Rhinogs and Cader Idris

024 (640x480).jpg
Porthmadog bay
Last edited by andy63 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Arenig Fach and Moel Ysgyfarnogod

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 am

Great 'double' Andy, tongue twister is right for that second one :shock: Google tells me it means 'Bare hill of the hares' .......did you see any :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland