walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short walk on Barra

A short walk on Barra

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Route description: Eoligarry Explorer

Date walked: 20/04/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 180m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We parked near the small jetty at Eolaigearraidh (NF076713)
start of the walk.jpg
and set off north around the headland and on to a typical Hebridean beach. A wonderful curve of sand studded with cockleshells,
beach 2.jpg
sparkling clear water in stunning shades of blue and green,
blue sea.jpg
sand dunes and, in the distance, the hills of South Uist.
beach with hills of south uist.jpg
The scene was somewhat spoiled by the presence in the dunes of rusting wrecks of cars – clearly this is the local dumping ground for redundant vehicles. :thumbdown: After about 1.5km we climbed up over the dunes to the road which continued north until it finally stopped. All along the road the fence posts were covered in snails – a remarkable sight. What were they doing? :eh:
the snails.jpg
We didn’t see this weird behaviour anywhere else. A gate led into a field and we followed the coast round the headland and then ascended Beinn Sgurabhal.
view from Beinn Sgurabhal.jpg
Although only 79m in height it gives a great view of the island of Fuday to the east.
fuday.jpg
cockleshell bay and Fuday.jpg
Dropping down the other side we walked a short distance along the road until at a point where the road turns sharply left we went through a gate and on to the open hillside of Beinn Eolaigearraidh – a heady 102m. But from there you can see the huge sweep of Traigh Eais, the beach on the opposite side of the peninsula to Barra airport, with lines of white topped waves rolling in.
Traigh Eais.jpg
Beinn Sgurabhal.jpg
Descending steeply down in an easterly direction we came to Cille Barra,
Cille Barra.jpg
a cemetery with a small chapel in a beautiful setting. Inside the chapel are some ancient carved stones.
inside the chapel.jpg
It was then just a short walk back down the road to the car. A short but very enjoyable walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: A short walk on Barra

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Looks lovely - who needs the Med?

Our company did some investigation into coastal protection on the road out to that peninsula. Sadly it was my colleague who got to go out and do the site visit and me that got to check his report back in the office :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:42 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:The scene was somewhat spoiled by the presence in the dunes of rusting wrecks of cars

malky_c wrote:Our company did some investigation into coastal protection on the road out to that peninsula

I'm sure that's what the old wrecked cars are for - to stabilise the dunes. It would be nice if some more picturesque manner of stabilising them was found !
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby FloozySuzie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Wow, absolutely stunning pictures. I really want to travel up from Barra to Lewis this summer. It was supposed to happen last summer, but didn't. At the moment, nowhere abroad excites me.
FloozySuzie

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 am

FloozySuzie wrote:Wow, absolutely stunning pictures. I really want to travel up from Barra to Lewis this summer. It was supposed to happen last summer, but didn't. At the moment, nowhere abroad excites me.

We did it the other way round - north to south. It is a wonderful trip. There are wonderful beaches all down the west coast, some decent hills and lots of history. And the wild life is great too. Lots of birds including eagles, otters, dolphins etc. Also nice places to stay. I can recommend Dunard Hostel in Castlebay, An Bothan at Leverburgh and there are the Gatliffe hostels as well although the one at Howmore was closed for renovations when we were there. Have a good trip!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby kevsbald » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:40 am

Super stuff.
If Barra is anything like Harris, the beaches are 2nd to none. Why go abroad? Except for the fact that it's cheaper to sniff cocaine than it is petrol?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby magicdin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:47 am

I also really fancy a trip from barra to lewis - take the boots,the camera,golf clubs,bike,tent etc

Oh and a good guide book so I don't miss the interesting features
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 am

magicdin wrote:Oh and a good guide book so I don't miss the interesting features

Like that 12ft tall humoungous great big standing stone, Clach MacLeod ?! :lol:
Clach MacLeod and fallen stones 02.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby magicdin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
magicdin wrote:Oh and a good guide book so I don't miss the interesting features

Clach MacLeod and fallen stones 02.jpg

aye things like that :oops: - go on rub it in why don't ye :(
magicdin
Rambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:49 am

magicdin wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:

The attachment Clach MacLeod and fallen stones 02.jpg is no longer available

aye things like that :oops: - go on rub it in why don't ye :(

OK Then...

Humoungous conspicuous giant great big enormous standing stone.jpg

You'll be telling us next you've never noticed those great big carved stones near Stornoway.... :D

Stornoway Ranu.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby magicdin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:10 pm

caberfeidh wrote
You'll be telling us next you've never noticed those great big carved stones near Stornoway.... :D

naw - ah didnae see them either - but they do look familar somehow
I did see this rock at the back of an cliseam - looks like robbie coltrane don't you think
magicdin
Rambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm

magicdin wrote: looks like robbie coltrane don't you think

Yes ! It could be that Big Jazza is worshipped as a god by the primitive islanders. Unless you noticed another nearby which looked like Stan Laurel ? Perhaps a wizard wheeze pulled by the Sons of the Desert ? :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby magicdin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 pm

yes could be oliver hardy could'nt it
magicdin
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:11 am

totally jealous - haven't been to the islands now for about 10 years due to this silly Munroing habit I've gone and got! All my friends will have forgotten me :(

Agree those cars shouldn't have been dumped on the beach as they're dangerous - twisted, rusting metal buried half-hidden in sand... but I really don't agree with those who try to interfere with the islanders leaving their old vehicles along their driveways - to me that's just history and it's on their property.

To all those arguing about those stones, I have just this to say to close the conversation... :D
S Uist-finger stone.jpg
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:47 am

mountain coward wrote:To all those arguing about those stones, I have just this to say to close the conversation... :D
S Uist-finger stone.jpg

how - who was arguing - all sweetness and light on here

peace Image

good picture though - reciprocated :D (edit -with knobs on)
magicdin
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland