walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fine, fine, fine Fannichs

Fine, fine, fine Fannichs

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Sgùrr Breac

Date walked: 15/03/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 1193m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

West was best according to the weatherman. The plan had been to meet Electricfly in Auchnashellach for the two Sgurrs, however as is the case for many of us hill walkers, plans don’t always go to……well plan. Dad and I set off reasonably early for a 10am meeting at Auchnashellach, however it became apparent that something was up with his car. A hell of a rubbing noise was coming from somewhere. Should have taken mine but no point in retrospects now. What would we do? We decided to push on; 50mph was as quick as we dared to go, this really ruled out any wish of the two Sgurrs as they would be a relatively long day. Dad decided to drive up to the Fannichs for the Western two, not such a long day for them. Arriving just before 12 we set off post haste.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

photo 1.JPG
Start of route beside gate

photo 2.JPG
Looking down track to Loch a'Bhraoin

We followed the track down to the gate that would take you to the old boathouse , we took the left track here to go through the woodland and over the bridge at the end of loch a’Bhraoin.
photo 4.JPG
Bridge over the outflow of Loch a'Bhraoin

photo 5.JPG
Route ahead up to Druim Reidh

We were heading for the ridge Druim Reidh.
photo 6.JPG
Looking back to Loch a'Bhraoin and old Boat house

The ground would have been real soggy had it not been frozen in places. We cut over to head for the path up Druim Reidh. The path was frozen and slippy in places, care had to be taken. There was not much snow left at this height, some small snow fields but nothing that was hampering progress or made us take out crampons and axes. Up ahead I could see a woman coming down using her axe, the route got even more icy the higher we got and we had to take out the axe in case an arrest was required if we slipped. I stopped and spoke to the woman who was nearing the end of her Munro adventure, 28 to go, all the best, I hope you manage to comleat this year. Carrying on we reached a steep snow field which was starting to melt so we got good purchase to enable us to get to the top safely.
photo 7.JPG
Nearing the top, one steep snow field with Sgurr nan Clach Geala in background

I stopped at the cairn marking to route onward and waited for dad to catch up. We then set off along the flats before reaching the wide ridge.
photo 8.JPG
Wide ridge of Druim Reidh ahead

photo 9.JPG
First sight of An Teallach, not it's best profile I'd say

The views over to A’Chailleach and the frozen Loch Toll an Lochain were awesome.
photo 10.JPG
A'Chailleach

photo 11.JPG
A'Chailleach and frozen loch Toll an Lochain

We kept following the ridge to the top – Toman Coinnich. We stopped for a bite to eat here and unloaded the packs for the ascent up A’Chailleach. The cornices off the North East face were huge; I had to keep the dogs as far to the West as possible as they looked like they’d maybe go at any time.
photo 12.JPG
Cornices on way up

The only tricky bit was the summit snow field; it was hard compact snow bordering on ice so care was taken to reach the top.
photo 13.JPG
Summit snow bordering on ice field

Once atop the views were stunning, the Deargs swinging to An Teallach, to Fisherfield, Slioch, Torridon, Fionn Bheinn and the rest of the Fannichs. There was a slight haze that made seeing the Distant Torridon hard but I could still make out Liathach, Beinn Eighe & Alligin.
photo 14.JPG
Looking over to Sgurr Breac from A'Challeach summit

photo 15.JPG
Fisherfields

photo 16.JPG
Slioch

photo 17.JPG
Fionn Bheinn

photo 18.JPG
Slioch Zoomed

photo 19.JPG
Fisherfields zoomed

photo 20.JPG
Eighe & Liathach

photo 21.JPG
Summit dogs

We took a few photos then cut off downward to the South East well away from the ridge, we used the snow field on the way down to make short work of the descent.
photo 22.JPG
Dad coming off summit A'Challeach

We ascended back up to Toman Coinnich to descend back down then upward towards Sgurr Breac. Again cornices were present and care had to be taken. We passed over a big cairn so stood atop it in case as our outward route was to head East and then back down the glen below Sgurr nan Clach Geala to the loch. We then reached two other cairns and unsure of which was the highest we stood atop both.
photo 23.JPG
Dad approaching summit of Sgurr Breac, his Terrier Billy in foreground

Then we descended down more snow slopes to the East and reached the Glen Below. Longer summer days would enable the three Munros to your right to be attempted but we were heading out as we wanted to be at least back to the bridge over the loch by last light. This was a lovely walk down the Glen, the path was decent enough.
photo 24.JPG
Sunset looking over to Meall an t-Sithe north of Loch a'Bhraoin

photo 25.JPG
Looking back to where we'd come from, the beallach between Sgurr Breac and Sgurr nan Clach geala

The main problem of the day was the stinging wind, of course the photos do not show the wind but my face is feeling the effects of wind burn today. I’ll take that any day for another great day in the hills though, especially when we were not sure we’d make it at all. We got back to the car and made the slow drive home, arriving home at midnight, work this am was hard going but my body feels no ill effects so hopefully im getting more hill fit in time for long Spring/Summer days.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Fine, fine, fine Fannichs

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:40 pm

cracking stuff - that looked most enjoyable despite the wind - :mrgreen: am somewhat jealous :mrgreen: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Oh lovely - glad you got an outing despite the car. These are two great hills for the views and you had great conditions - even in the wind. How did the dogs get fare on the ice? :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:49 pm

rockhopper wrote:cracking stuff - that looked most enjoyable despite the wind - :mrgreen: am somewhat jealous :mrgreen: - cheers :)

Haha, im ofter green with envy looking at this site!! My face is stinging as we speak, feels like sun burn :shock: :lol:

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Oh lovely - glad you got an outing despite the car. These are two great hills for the views and you had great conditions - even in the wind. How did the dogs get fare on the ice? :clap: :clap:

Fine group of hills these, dad and I got beaten back from the Sgurr nan Clach Geala ridge in November (only managed one of the three) so it was great to get back on such a nice day to see what we missed. They seemed to do fine, it was the cornices I was really concerned with but luckily it was not a ridge so we could keep a wide berth :)
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Must take this route into the fannaichs one of these days, looks nice, great pics 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby martin.h » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 pm

What a fantastic day you and your dad had there Matthew, really nice mountains made special with the conditions you had.
Great report and great photos again, thanks.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Great stuff, enjoyed that with some cracking photo's :clap: :clap:

Totally different to when I did those two, probably my worst day in the hills - feet have never been so wet :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:19 pm

That looks superb.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Top day a bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:19 am

basscadet wrote:Must take this route into the fannaichs one of these days, looks nice, great pics 8)

Thanks Basscadet, really lucky with the weather :D

martin.h wrote:What a fantastic day you and your dad had there Matthew, really nice mountains made special with the conditions you had.
Great report and great photos again, thanks.

Thanks Marts, days like these make you hungry for more eh :lol:

Fife Flyer wrote:Great stuff, enjoyed that with some cracking photo's :clap: :clap:

Totally different to when I did those two, probably my worst day in the hills - feet have never been so wet :(

I can see where your coming from Martin, im just glad the ground was mainly frozen :shock: Cheers

litljortindan wrote:That looks superb.

Collaciotach wrote:Top day a bhalaich :clap:

Cheers Colla :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby kev_russ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Fine pics, fine report, fine weather. Weekend wis just braw eh 8)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby electricfly » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Aye, fine weather other than the icy breeze indeed.

Glad you both managed a good day after your mechanical problems. On the plus side, at least you didn't have to listen to my incessant moaning about the length of the walk out from Bealach Bhearnaise! :lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:29 pm

So that's what a round of these two looks like! I was clearly robbed blind when I did them! :lol: :lol:

Slioch sure is one hell of a monster when zoomed in on from this angle! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Excellent stuff there Beaner and some cracking photographs. Blue skies and Sun :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:43 pm

kev_russ wrote:Fine pics, fine report, fine weather. Weekend wis just braw eh 8)

That's a hat trick, cheers kev, a fine weekend indeed :D

electricfly wrote:Aye, fine weather other than the icy breeze indeed.

Glad you both managed a good day after your mechanical problems. On the plus side, at least you didn't have to listen to my incessant moaning about the length of the walk out from Bealach Bhearnaise! :lol:

Haha, Cheers Eric, we'll maybe be able to catch up for Maoile Lunndaidh!!?

Graeme D wrote:So that's what a round of these two looks like! I was clearly robbed blind when I did them! :lol: :lol:

Slioch sure is one hell of a monster when zoomed in on from this angle! 8)

Was thinking the same about Slioch Graeme :shock:
I'm gonna start keeping my receipts as I'm due a refund on a number of hills that have fleeced me :lol:

The Rodmiester wrote:Excellent stuff there Beaner and some cracking photographs. Blue skies and Sun :)

Cheers Rod, May be back on the Corbetts this weekend :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland