walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire nam Beith Summit Gully

Stob Coire nam Beith Summit Gully

Postby gman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian

Date walked: 18/03/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1410m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

scnb summit gully actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Summit Gully from the car park, 450m Grade II climb leading up to the snow field at the right of the summit:

The path is fine at the start, then hits a rock band for a damp scrambly bit.

Further up it drops to the side of Allt Coire nam Beithach then gets more indistinct & interesting. It's definitely a steep walk up. Summit Gully is easy to find as the path heads straight for it.

Thought I was the only person on the hill today but a climber caught up, he was having an easy day scoping out some Grade V here and on Bidean after spending an hour hacking through a cornice on Aonach Mor yesterday. He decided to do Summit G as well, then descend at the col between Bidean and SCNL. Start of Gully:

Realised how unfit I am as he whizzed on ahead, left some steps to follow though.

Higher up the snow got softer and his prints led up to a ridge with a mixed scramble at the start. I followed, hoping it didn't lead to anything too dodgy.

Down the ridge:

Summit ahoy.

Gully ends here:

Met again at the summit, he'd detoured onto the ridge as the snow was getting softer higher up and he didn't want a repeat of the Aonach Mor cornice dig yesterday. Soft snow at top of gully:

Bidean:

SCNL, with the planned descent route at the bealach on its right:

Nice clear day and it was still earlyish so I wandered round towards SCNL, might do another gully there. Glen Etive:

Back to SCNB:

Top of Central Gully on Bidean, looks steeper than I remember. I thought I could hear someone coming up then realised it was ice melting and dropping into the gully.

Descended Bidean, looking back to the start of the descent route down to the right:

Busy on SCNL.

Had a look at the descent between Bidean & SCNL:

Then down Broad Gully:

Decided on Boomerang Gully next since it was quiet and ended at the summit.

Then back towards Bidean and followed footprints down to the coire.

Last look back to Diamond & Church Door Buttresses.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Stob Coire nam Beith Summit Gully

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:11 am

Great report and cracking images - was a lovely morning on Wednesday :) I was spying this route a few weeks ago when we headed up the Pap - hope it stays in condition for a few weeks yet as I fancy this one-looks fantastic :D

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby gman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:50 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:I was spying this route a few weeks ago when we headed up the Pap - hope it stays in condition for a few weeks yet as I fancy this one-looks fantastic :D

Cheers, it's kept a hold of the snow quite well plus it's a good workout for the calf muscles! :lol:
gman

Postby Milesy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:05 pm

great pics! no where like Bidean.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby gman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 am

Milesy wrote:great pics! no where like Bidean.

There's definitely a lot to explore :D
gman

Postby Ariff Aziz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:04 am

This is a great report! Thanks for sharing.I have a quick question. Do I need specific gear/skills if I were to use this path? I'm planning to go there next week and I'll be staying in the Youth Hostel in Glencoe.
Ariff Aziz
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am

The ascent route up the gully described in this trip report is not suitable for summer conditions - it will be full of lots of dangerous loose rock. There are feasible walking routes to either side of the steep rock section, or you can go up via the described descent line. None of these options are easy to follow in poor visibility, so, yes, you do need suitable navigation skills.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland